• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Midway Hacked?

WRH51

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2009
Anybody else on here have their credit card comprimised after purchasing from Midway? I can not be 100% certain it happened through Midway but it is a big coincidence that the unauthorized charges started happening minutes after my Midway transaction. Trying to pin down how this happened. Has this happend to anyone else?

I JUST ordered from them about an hour ago after an in-stock notification came... Guess we'll see... I'll let you know.

I made the transaction on Sunday. When I first entered my info it said my card had been declined. I actually got a call from my credit card company when I was making the purchase. She told me that there had been an attempt to make a purchase at Midway and asked if that was correct. The purchase went through the next time. I get a call yesterday from my credit card asking about these other transactions. About 1k worth of stuff. Over half of it had posted the rest had been declined. All the charges started immediately after using my card for Midway. I figured if it was something with Midway it would have happened to some others.
BTW I was on my broadband card not WiFi. I never use WiFi.

Your sure you don't have a trojan or malware on your PC?

I ordered something a couple months ago and when I looked at my bank statement, only minutes later there was a $200 charge for a vacuum cleaner from Massachusetts.

I ordered something a couple months ago and when I looked at my bank statement, only minutes later there was a $200 charge for a vacuum cleaner from Massachusetts.

I had my checking account wiped out 3 years ago by using my bankcard online. When it was over a lady at the bank gave this advice,

For online purchases, designate one Credit Card to use, so that company can get used to what you're likely to charge.

So if you're not a big traveler, a charge in Germany will raise a red flag. For me the vacuum cleaner would've probably went through.
As for Midway, with secure ordering, and most others that have it, they are relatively safe. But a person with access to the info can purge it and distribute it. In my case someone had a vacation in Canada. Canada's Wonderland, Montreal Railways, and they kept hitting on it to figure how much more they could take, I had $37.00 left when I found it. I found out I was virtually broke while trying to pay for groceries in a local wal mart, lady hands me a little slip that says, not sufficient funds, I charged it went straight home and jumped on the computer to check my account, embarrasing to say the least.
So a word to the wise, don't use a card tied to your checking account online, and never lose sight of someone else swiping your card, don't let them walk off with it to scan it.

This happened to me a couple months ago. It was not at Midway though. I recieved a phone call from Visa asking if I was buying 4 pairs or shoes at a store in Georgia.
It sucks,but I got all my money back within a day.

I had a similar event happen to me at Rainier Arms the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year. Funny thing was when I asked them about it they denied anything being wrong on their end. Then my brother had his credit card info stolen after he also made a purchase from Rainier Arms two days later. I made a post on their industry page on AR15 about itand it lasted 15 minutes before they deleted it. Before they deleted it three other people had said that they had the same issue. Rainier Arms still denies that the problem was on their end. I sent a second e-mail to them and never got a satisfactory response from them about it. The charges to my credit card were from an airline in China and my brothers was for makeup, I'm pretty sure he doesn't wear makeup.

The way these things work, I can almost guarantee you that it had nothing to do with Midway. The idea that someone could crack the SSL connection is next to impossible also. I would venture to guess that your stuff was stolen a week or more ago. Think restaurants.

Mastercard phoned me at 9am this morning. They saw alleged "suspicious" use of my card. 3 Hotel rooms in Paris,France. ????? Nope-cancel the account.

Its is so common anymore-so many companies have been hacked and more than likely alot of them haven't even realized it. My card hadn't been used since last august.It definitely is a good idea to check your accounts at least once a week.

This thread got me thinking. I've bought over $10,000.00 on ebay via PayPal (actually almost $20,000 and I've never been ripped off!). Now all ebay transactions are PayPal and PayPal won't let me use my credit card and requires I give them access to my checking account to make direct withdrawals. Of course I haven't done that, but just think about how screwed someone could be if they did and they were hacked? I'm wondering if I should open a separate PayPal bank account with limited funds just for transactions that require PayPal.

The site server is not the only method of getting your info, it is quite possible that you have malware on your pc itself.

If you use a card at all these days (especially, but not necessarily limited to online purchases), odds are pretty high that eventually your card will be compromised at some point or another. (As a sys admin, I'd say MOST companies out there, and nearly all smaller ones, simply do not have the resources/expertise to fully and properly secure their systems against a skilled attacker that decides to target them -- and there is really money to be made in the black market by selling card numbers and such).

The 'safest' sites are probably those run by companies in financial, medical, and other heavily regulated industries dominated by huge players that have lots of stringent regulations to meet regarding data protection (though that is definitely no guarantee). Even if companies do not 'store' your card info, their systems can be silently compromised and your info recorded as it is passed through their system. The 'timing' of when your card gets used doesn't really tell you much -- your card info can be compromised for months before it actually gets used.

The good news is that banks and credit card companies are well aware of this and deal with it all the time, so generally getting the fraudulent shit cancelled is relatively simple -- just a pain in the ass to wait for your new card to arrive (I actually worry more about full blown identity theft more than a credit card number compromise -- happened to a friend, and it sucked sucked sucked for him to get that straightened out).

So pretty much just assume that now and then your card will get compromised, and take steps to mitigate that.... definitely do not use debit cards (unless it is a dedicated account where you transfer money specifically for planned purchases) for anything online/phone or where the card goes out of your control, as it can take a while to get your cash back if it gets compromised and used. Have a 'backup' credit card so you can still function while waiting for a replacement card to arrive if your primary card is compromised. Check your card statement regularly and make sure all charges are legit (helps to have an email or text alert set up to notify of any charge). If you use the card for recurring bill payment or anything, keep a list of all the places where you need to update it so you don't miss payments if your card is cancelled.

Last edited:
Had the same thing happen twice. First time I figured it was a fluke, the second time I emailed Midway and got back a response on how that could never happen because of their security, blah, blah, blah. Yeah, but theirs was the only purchase I had made from that account in months. Fortunately I only use a card tied to an account only used for online purchases that never has much in it, and both times the bank called me before any additional charges went through. Had to get new cards, which is a pain, but it could have been worse.