• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Might want to use money orders for tax stamp payments cuz...

Geronimo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
columbus, ohio
They used the check to set up an ach payment, shows as an automatic payment from my account. Only thing is it came out twice, then the check was honored a week later, so 600 came out of my account for a 200 dollar stamp. Took a week to get a provisional credit from my bank and me flipping out the next day when the check was cashed as a check I was credited another 200 provisionally. I was explained by the fraud department of my bank that when you right a check to a business they can enter it as an auto payment for as many times and as much as they enter. Was also told by the Atf, who actually seemed helpful and polite, that it takes them 6 weeks to even see a payment or a mistake in their system and that duplicate entries are common. So be warned.

That's nuts man. I track the process via check, but if this becomes widespread, I'm
Going to make a change.

Gov't accounting systems leave much to be desired. However, your bank failed on a few levels. The check number should have prevented duplicate debits, period. And multiple, identical payments to the same source for the same amount in that short window of time should have kicked off a fraud alert.

Definitely sucks, but if it caused you any issues your bank should be on the hook for that one.

I send a cashiers check with my applications, this way the bank can tell me when the check was cashed and if the government tries to charge the bank more than once, it is the banks problem, not mine.

usps money order for me for just this type of scenario. the system is broken in every way. the only thing a check lets you do is confirm they recieved your packet and that it was cashed.

I've done it both ways. Sent off 3 form 1's this past July with money orders and sent off a form 4 in August with a check. Haven't had problems either way.

I've been considering getting into NFA stuff, but I'm hesitant to deal with the govt any more than I have to after last year's taxes. Here's another reason for me to stick with the boring stuff.

I had a local utility tell me I hadn't paid my bill. When I gave them the number of the check, and the bank through which they deposited it, they told me "A cancelled check is not proof of payment". That was the first time I had ever heard that, and it actually caught me flat footed. I eventually worked it out, but problems with checks are not uncommon..