• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mike Rock or Bartlein **PICS ADDED**

Bob L Swagger

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2010
Base of the Appalachians
I am in the process of gathering the components for my next .300 Winchester magnum. If you were to build one which of the two barrel manufacturers would you use, Rock Creek or Bartlein?

Its going to be a fluted, 1:10 twist.

Re: Mike Rock or Bartlein

you wont be able to tell the differance in how it shoots from my experiance. Both at top of the line.
you need to find somthing else to gauge your selection by , like delivery time , cost and customer service , but in my experiance they are damn close.

The obvious answer - BOTH, and build another rifle to match the extra barrel!.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with either, both are quality parts, from good companies/guys.

They are both good barrels. I would check delivery dates and let that steer me in the correct direction.

Jeffvn

I have had very good results with the last 7 barrels from Rock Creek. Great folks to work with.
Semper Fi

Either one dude, those are both badass barrel makers. I just flipped a coin so I say Rock Creek
smile.gif

If you look at the match results published by the various shoots you will not get much help because both makers will be over represented. Does that help?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 73 fastback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the Giants win use a Rock if the Packers win use a Bartlein. Or just flip a coin, cant go wrong either way </div></div>

Looks like its a rock barrel. Go Giants

I have both and both are equally perfect.

Hey Swagger, check out bugholes here on the hide. I think he has some in stock! But like everyone else said, Either!

Went with the ROCK!

Check list for .300 win mag:

1. Mike Rock M24 Fluted for 26" finish 1:10 Twist
2. Surgeon 1086R
3. Surgeon DBM
4. Jewell Trigger
5. Badger FTE
6. Nightforce C348 8-32X56mm
7. Leupold Mark 4 rings

Waiting for:

1. McMillan A-5
2. PTG chamber reamer

IMG_3965-1.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

I love those flutes! Rifling is almost on the outside. Lol

Without the stock, the pieces look like a distraught maiden in a state of undress.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went with the ROCK!

Check list for .300 win mag:

1. Mike Rock M24 Fluted for 26" finish 1:10 Twist
2. Surgeon 1086R
3. Surgeon DBM
4. Jewell Trigger
5. Badger FTE
6. Nightforce C348 8-32X56mm
7. Leupold Mark 4 rings

Waiting for:

1. McMillan A-5
2. PTG chamber reamer

IMG_3965-1.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">holy cow swagger, nice components!! </div></div>

Thanks man.. I can't wait to see it all together.. It's going to be going into a GAP camo McMillan A-5 and I'm not sure what color I want to do the metal in. OD green? Flat dark earth? Some sort of coyote tan? Any suggestions??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">holy cow swagger, nice components!! </div></div>

Thanks man.. I can't wait to see it all together.. It's going to be going into a GAP camo McMillan A-5 and I'm not sure what color I want to do the metal in. OD green? Flat dark earth? Some sort of coyote tan? Any suggestions?? </div></div>

Awesome parts group! My vote Cerakote wise is Patriot Brown or OD Green. Check out the Patriot Brown, Mark Gordon uses it a lot on his builds and it looks so beautiful. I've never seen a GAP molded gun with Patriot Brown but I think it would be TITS!
Who is building the rifle anyway?

Wait , so did you have both barrels on hand ?? Cause I sure the hell like the 18-24 HOUR wait as opposed to the 18 WEEKS I've heard about

Please post pics once it is done. Those are all top of the line components. Very nice!!! Are you doing the building?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please post pics once it is done. Those are all top of the line components. Very nice!!! Are you doing the building? </div></div>

Ozzie... What do you mean, aren't you going to build this for me??
confused.gif
Lol

Wish you were still in business... It would be going your way... Any suggestions??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait , so did you have both barrels on hand ?? Cause I sure the hell like the 18-24 HOUR wait as opposed to the 18 WEEKS I've heard about </div></div>

AHHHH HAAAAAA!! DING DING DING!! You are good!! My MAN!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please post pics once it is done. Those are all top of the line components. Very nice!!! Are you doing the building? </div></div>

confused.gif
Lol

Wish you were still in business... It would be going your way... Any suggestions?? </div></div>

Ozzie was going to build my rifle last year but that was when he was winding down so he referred me to Mark Gordon at Short Action Custom. He built my Surgeon and it's a hammer, he's also the one I recommended earlier who uses the Patriot Brown Cerakote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please post pics once it is done. Those are all top of the line components. Very nice!!! Are you doing the building? </div></div>

confused.gif
Lol

Wish you were still in business... It would be going your way... Any suggestions?? </div></div>

Ozzie was going to build my rifle last year but that was when he was winding down so he referred me to Mark Gordon at Short Action Custom. He built my Surgeon and it's a hammer, he's also the one I recommended earlier who uses the Patriot Brown Cerakote. </div></div>

Thanks!! Im really liking that patriot brown cerakote!

Patriot Brown is THE SHIT!! no pun intended
smile.gif
Mark is an awesome smith, his work is flawless. You would not be disappointed with him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went with the ROCK!
IMG_3965-1.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

</div></div>

That's "spank bank" material right there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be interested in a weight on the tube if you get a chance. </div></div>

5.0 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be interested in a weight on the tube if you get a chance. </div></div>

5.0 lbs. </div></div>

Thanks. That is unchambered I assume.

What Rock Creek barrels leadtime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be interested in a weight on the tube if you get a chance. </div></div>

5.0 lbs. </div></div>

Thanks. That is unchambered I assume. </div></div>

Yep unchambered, still waiting for the PTG chamber reamer and McMillan stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Rock Creek barrels leadtime. </div></div>

I just order 2 barrels from them before Christmas and was quoted 14 long wks.

I was in barrel search mode last month and needed one ASAP. I ended up going to bugholes and picked up a Brux. I wanted a Krieger but couldn't wait, Rock was pushed out as they had just started run for a mfg, and Bartlein lead time was about like the Krieger.

I really don't think there is a bad choice to be made in the top makers these days. I asked my builder his opinion of Brux and he said he'd had great sucess in the past and not to worry so that's what I went with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in barrel search mode last month and needed one ASAP. I ended up going to bugholes and picked up a Brux. I wanted a Krieger but couldn't wait, Rock was pushed out as they had just started run for a mfg, and Bartlein lead time was about like the Krieger.

I really don't think there is a bad choice to be made in the top makers these days. I asked my builder his opinion of Brux and he said he'd had great sucess in the past and not to worry so that's what I went with. </div></div>

You won't be disappointed at all

I have switch to Bartlein Barrels over the last few years and I have nothing but great service as well as great accuracy!!

I would highly recommend Bartlein to anyone.

I am a Bartlein whore as I have five barrels thus far and another on its way. But, I am sure both barrels shoot well so it would come down to availability for me.