• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft Mil-Dot estimation Challenge

Re: Mil-Dot estimation Challenge

I understand everyones answer of these ranging pics, but why the hell am I getting around 3750 yds. My calc. was using the garage door on the far right. Single car garage door is 108 in. wide. I figure it is .8 mil wide. So to set up the problem it would be 3000/.8 = 3750yds. right? too hard to figure out how tall the house is due to rheticle tilt so i used the gagage door to measure width. same thing isnt it?

That is for the first pic of the house... someone else try it the same way i did and see if you get your same range result plse.

probably cause there is no garage door in the first picture. at least I dont see a garage door

and i think im way off going off of the 5 1/2' pool at .5 mil = 3667 yards

scopedog001.jpg

Here's another one.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scopedog001.jpg

Here's another one..... </div></div>

370 yards

when are we going to get the answers.

476 yards. 6 inches between ear tips and .35 mils

I am calling it 5.5" to 6' at the base of the ears at .4 mil.

382 to 417

averaged

399 yards

Im guessing its 6inches across tip of ears and .4 mil wide so it would come out to about 417 yds. give or take of course

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was 348 meters or 380 yards. </div></div>

heck yea I was close.

I'll try to get a few new ones today....pretty good practice!!

Can ya'll post the size in inches of the target in the picture? Please??!!?!!

Otherwise, this is impossible for me.....

Maybe the dimentions could be posted with the answer.

If the size of the target is posted with the picture then it is a simple math problem.

There's not much challenge with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can ya'll post the size in inches of the target in the picture? Please??!!?!!

Otherwise, this is impossible for me..... </div></div>

thats the whole part of range estimation, gotta understand different size targets in order to accurately hit each one.

plus, use google as your tool. if you dont know how tall a adult coyote is, google it etc

No, I am talking about the steel plate. It could be anywhear from 10x15 to 20x30 for all I know.

Any advice on how to reliably guess this.

I figured the steel plate is 18" accross so, about 142 yards. I am measuring 1,000 to 1,250 yards on the steel plate?

Can anyone help me out here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, I am talking about the steel plate. It could be anywhear from 10x15 to 20x30 for all I know.

Any advice on how to reliably guess this.

I figured the steel plate is 18" accross so, about 142 yards. I am measuring 1,000 to 1,250 yards on the steel plate?

Can anyone help me out here? </div></div>

what steel plate?

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">37 yards?</span> that's what that is! make that 444 yards.

that one actually is confusing me, not sure what im supposed to be aiming at

This is just a ranging exercise, no real target.

Hint: This is one of two very large water tanks across the road and up the hill from my house.

I'm going with 444.8 yards. 12" @ 0.75 mils

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going with 444.8 yards. 12" @ 0.75 mils </div></div>

Just curious, where you got your 12" from? I SWAG'd that the ladder cage was 48" wide, and based my estimate off that. I'd like to confirm my estimate using whatever you're getting 12" from.

Thanks.

Also, does anyone know if that is a mil based reticle in the watertank pic?

I went off 12" as well, mainly cause the measurements on the ruler are in feet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The water level gage is in feet and inches. </div></div>

Holy crap, I'm such an idiot. I thought that was like a thermometer or something hanging down in the way of the scope. LOL.

Yes, now I see .75 mil for 12" for a distance of 444.0 yards. That also tells me my SWAG estimate off the ladder cage was pretty damn good.

My weakness is reading the mil length, i took that as .85-.9 mil

444 yards is the answer......12' X 27.778 / .75mil =444
The alternative is 16" @ 1 mil. 16" X 27.778 / 1mil = 444
The solution will be the same.
Geovid says 440 yards.
This one was good for practice because of the ruler.
Next one will be harder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">444 yards is the answer......12' X 27.778 / .75mil =444
The alternative is 16" @ 1 mil. 16" X 27.778 / 1 = 444
Geovid says 440 yards.
Next one will be harder. </div></div>

gotta get my mil sizing down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">444 yards is the answer......12' X 27.778 / .75mil =444
The alternative is 16" @ 1 mil. 16" X 27.778 / 1 = 444
Geovid says 440 yards.
Next one will be harder. </div></div>

gotta get my mil sizing down. </div></div>

Get a good printout of a mil reticle breakdown, and just have that with you when you figure your dope. After a while it will become second nature.

going to sound stupid, but some of my issue is where each mil sizing starts when its the dot or the oval (i.e. does mil to mil go from the center of one dot to the next, or is it top to bottom etc). then the inbetween 0-.25, .25-.50 etc is where its difficult. practice makes perfect. Ill do your suggestion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">going to sound stupid, but some of my issue is where each mil sizing starts when its the dot or the oval (i.e. does mil to mil go from the center of one dot to the next, or is it top to bottom etc). then the inbetween 0-.25, .25-.50 etc is where its difficult. practice makes perfect. Ill do your suggestion </div></div>

Here's one. it's a little busy for me, and definitly not the one I had in mind, but it will do. I'll keep searching for a good one and post when I find it.

mildots.jpg

Yes, center to center is correct ie. round, football, or hash mark. Every part in your reticle has a specific value.

that one is great (i like alot of info, the more the better) do post if you find another, thats a great resource.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Judging by the mil measurement of the doorway height, I calculate that it's too far to shoot. Call for artillery or air.
</div></div>
LMAO