• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft Mil-Dot estimation Challenge

Re: Mil-Dot estimation Challenge

I'm going 437.16 yards based on the distance between the 4' and 12' marks equaling 8' @ 6.1 mils.

I'm new at this but doesn't it make sense to use the larget known measurement available to range?

This is on the water tank challenge.

Using the ruler on the water tank is to help us learn the math and how to use the reticle.
It's really hard to get a coyote to sit next to a ruler in the field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PittsDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going 437.16 yards based on the distance between the 4' and 12' marks equaling 8' @ 6.1 mils.

I'm new at this but doesn't it make sense to use the larget known measurement available to range?

This is on the water tank challenge. </div></div>

444 is the solution, this is a good example why it is critical to be able call it to the 10th mil....try 6 mils and you will be right on.........good job

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PittsDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going 437.16 yards based on the distance between the 4' and 12' marks equaling 8' @ 6.1 mils.

This is on the water tank challenge. </div></div>

444 is the solution, this is a good example why it is critical to be able call it to the 10th mil....try 6 mils and you will be right on.........good job </div></div>

That's odd, I'm measuring it with a caliper (can't do that in the field) and I'm getting 6.630 MRad between the 4' and 12' mark on the horizontal crosshair and 6 Mrad on the vertical.

I think that there might be several variables when a picture is taken through a scope and then posted on the web.
Parallax has got to be an issue also. There's alot of things we can do sitting in front of a computer that we can not do in the field.
It's just for fun anyway....right

Might not be clear enough...It was taken with my phone

photo.jpg

Whitetail standing in frost covered wheat field.

16" body @ 1.75 mils = 254 yds

You were pretty close. It is a whitetail standing in frost covered alfalfa. It is actually a pretty nice buck so I would say 17" (chest to back) @ 1.75 mil = 270 yards

He was actually 272 yards.

Yeah forget about that last one. They were taken with my phone and not a clear as I hoped. I will take some next time im out with my camera and adapter.

I'll try 222 yards on the picture with the irrigation line in it.

1100mm across doe 3mil 366m away
crazy.gif

if it only a fawn maybe 800mm across so 266m away

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinconco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a very small late season fawn </div></div>

Hmmm, so I guess you're sayin we're all way off. Damn too, cause I mil'd it's body and head and came up with the EXACT same number which made me all happy and shit.

48" & bottom 12" @ 303 yds
18.5" @ 343 yds
top 12" @ 416 yds

If that circle on the right-hand side of the 18.5" is 12" also, I have it at 475 yds. If it's at the same range, I have it at 10".

I've been trying to learn mil-dot ranging since Friday, and this is what I come up with today. I can't wait to find out how close I am.