• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

mil dot or target scope for my 40x?

donniedee

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
dripping springs texas
ok sinice i cant really use the mil dots for ranges the 22's good for would it be better to get a target scope and use the 40x to practice position, trigger squeeze, breathing with ?

Re: mil dot or target scope for my 40x?

If you are only going to feed your 40X one brand of ammo, then a BDC reticle makes sense.

There's just so much variability in drop between different types of .22 ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donniedee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>
And with respect to the previous poster...BDC turrets and reticles suck balls. </div></div>

Lol they sure do...

i love mildots, not for the holdover reasons as i usually dial elevation, but for ranging and for holding left or right for wind. if i choose not to dial elevation or don't have time to dial as for a quicker pressure shot while hunting, i have my holdover data so the mildots are handy for many reasons. they are also nice for holdover in the event your scope runs out of adjustment at longer distances. of course if it's not FFP, your "# of dot holdover" changes when your magnification changes

but, when it comes to known distances and dedicated bullseye type shooting, i prefer a target dot and higher magnification. most mildot reticles have a "robust" or thick crosshair configuration that IMO tends to cover up smaller targets. and while not as busy as other BDC type reticles the mildots aren't as "clean" or distracting as a small target dot dead center w/ fine crosshairs and 1/8" adjustments. plus i think the smaller dot and fine crosshairs show up movement from breathing, trigger squeeze, etc. alot better when positioned on a small bullseye or even on a blank piece of paper

so for what it's worth, IMO, mildots for most situations, target dot for a designated bench queen.

i know mueller and weaver has really fine crosshairs and dot, vortex has some really nice target dot / fine crosshair reticles, along with nikon and leupold.

on the cheaper side of scopes barska and bsa has target dots too, tasco also. out of those three i've worn out barska's and bsa's, but never had a tasco go bad on a rim or centerfire.

seems everyone has a mildot reticle, for holdovers my favorite being hawke sidewinder with the half mildot that doesn't seem too busy or thick and seems to "hover" in the scope. another of my favorite mildot scope to use is the very inexpensive centerpoint or leapers scopes as they have additional dots to the usual 9 vertical and horizontal aiming points (including the crosshair center) to allow for even more holdover.

if you can't decide and the budget allows, get both a mildot and target dot scope with QD rings and change em out depending on what you want to do that day.

idk i like mil dots and im prob wrong but i like the sweet 22 rifle scope. come with different turrets for different ammo if u read into it it tell what ammo its made for. i trust that

I like to train as realistically as possible.

So, if the 40X is a trainer, why wouldn't you use a reticle that is similar or the same as your larger caliber rifles'?

A mildot reticle doesn't care at what range you're shooting. With scaled down targets you could get a very good sense of what typical long range targets would measure on your reticle and the math will still give you an accurate range.

And the other fundamentals (breathing, trigger squeeze, bone support, consistent cheek weld, follow through, etc.) wouldn't be compromised in the least.

So, why not mil dot?

I'll add my little story to the opinion pot...

When I decided to build a "precision rimfire" I only intended to shoot for accuracy to a max distance of 100yds as I then believed that was pushing the little pills enough.

Decided upon a Weaver Classic K 6-24 fine wire with target dot. The scope was well made and actualy looked more proportional (1" tube) on my 455 as it rode on a 25MOA DIP base.

It focused down close enough to shoot 25 yd indoors and the fine dot was excellent out to 100yds. Well one weekend I was shooting at a private range with steel targets from 200-800 yds. After running out of elevation and holding middle of the lower vertical crosshair I was able to hit the 320yd plate easily but then and there I decided I wanted more internal adjustment and some for of substention on the ret.

Sold the Weaver and bought a 4-16 Vortex crossfire from Buds http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...ated%20Reticle/ this has 100moa of adjustment 2/3 (or more than the weaver) and Mil Dot and focuses down to 10yds...pretty much everything I wanted it to do.

I was very concened that I would regret the thicker crosshair for bench/target shooting. I was very pleased to discover that with a 50yd zero the drop at 100yds worked out to be the first mildot down. I really was expecting to have to dial in the correction but I'm not complaining about how it worked out.

As for missing the target dot for shooting groups again I was happy to discover that at 100 shooting at 1" orange circle pasters the size (of the mildot) is very very close. I have found that I can center the dot within an orange "halo" and it works out great.

At 25 and 50 yds the ret is a wee bit coarse but its not unmanagable. I have become addicted to shooting 100 with the 22 while the weather in the North Wet is decent. Intend to set up this rifle with target sights for winter indoor fun so the thicker ret is only a trade off for me at 50 which is the distance I shoot the least so I dont care.

Anyways long story short I thought as many that mildot on a 22 was pointless and shortly after ended up eating those words. If you feel the need for a target dot simply zero on a dot rather than the intersection of the center. All in all much more versitile scope choice but thats only my opinion. And yes BDC options are a waste for reasons others have already mentioned. I will add that with .22's they are an even worse idea as there is even more variance between rifles and ammo than whats found on a centerfire.

WELL UPDATE: due to several bills this mo i bought a centerpoint 4x16x40 mildot scope just to satisfy till im able to upgrade, my 40x is in a pelican hardcase when not inuse.

took it out was very surprised how clear the optics are on the cheap mildot lil scope. very very bright its a blast