• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MIL, MOA, BDC? SFP or FFP? I'm so confused. LOL

couch000

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2020
I'm a simple guy trying to do well in the Tactical Games. LOL For those of you that don't know what TTG is or the type of shooting we do it's basically a CrossFit workout and shooting with an elevated heart rate. The targets a lot of times are fairly small (10 sec penalty for misses) and normally are <300 yards. We can also shoot from compromised positions. VTAC, etc. Fast shooting but not fast shooting.

I have been using a Vortex Razor 1-6x SFP and am considering a FFP scope in 1-8x or 1-10x. Looking at NF ATACR, NX8, Razor 1-10x, PA 1-8 Plx-c, Eotech Vudu 1-10x. The usual suspects.

I'm used to BDC in my Razor but am wondering if I should consider MIL or MOA? I understand Mils are more metric and MOA is more imperial? Mils most popular in the world? BDCs don't always match up to your ammo, etc. so you're basically having to remember different holds anyway. Why is this stuff so complicated?

With Mils and MOA on FFP do you just figure out your holds and go from there (regardless of magnification)? Would a BDC be a better option for quick acquisition and firing like in the Tactical Games? It's not quick like 3 Gun but you're heart rate is running high, you have to remember the workout and course of fire, and your holds. Sometimes you may want to dial down from max magnification but still have some magnification- At least I think so. That's why I think FFP is better for the Tactical Games. So just trying to figure out what would be the best option before I spend more cash. LOL

Thanks!

Agreed that you want FFP, so the holds will be the same regardless of magnification.

Mil or MOA, either is fine; generally it’s best to stick to whatever the group you shoot with mostly uses. If it’s an MOA crowd, go MOA; if it’s mil then mil. You want FFP either way.

I’m scratching my head a bit as to what kind of reticle would serve you well though; for instance, the ATACR 1-8 only has one option, and it’s got 0.5 mil hashes on the vertical. How small are these targets? Cause inside 300 yards, even a 308 is only dropping about 1.4 mil assuming various things including a 100-yd zero. So you’re not using much of the reticle, and it doesn’t get very big at those lower powers. Most who play PRS-esque games are used to finding small-ish (0.3-0.6 mil) targets quickly, and common zoom levels are 10-18x (I like 12-15 myself unless I don’t have good visual references and am engaging a lot of targets, in which case I’ll run more like 7-8x). So…have you considered higher zoom levels? A ballistic reticle (mil or MOA hashes on the vertical) needs zoom to be able to pick out the different hashes; a 1-mil hash at 2x is basically too small to use.

Agreed that you want FFP, so the holds will be the same regardless of magnification.

Mil or MOA, either is fine; generally it’s best to stick to whatever the group you shoot with mostly uses. If it’s an MOA crowd, go MOA; if it’s mil then mil. You want FFP either way.

I’m scratching my head a bit as to what kind of reticle would serve you well though; for instance, the ATACR 1-8 only has one option, and it’s got 0.5 mil hashes on the vertical. How small are these targets? Cause inside 300 yards, even a 308 is only dropping about 1.4 mil assuming various things including a 100-yd zero. So you’re not using much of the reticle, and it doesn’t get very big at those lower powers. Most who play PRS-esque games are used to finding small-ish (0.3-0.6 mil) targets quickly, and common zoom levels are 10-18x (I like 12-15 myself unless I don’t have good visual references and am engaging a lot of targets, in which case I’ll run more like 7-8x). So…have you considered higher zoom levels? A ballistic reticle (mil or MOA hashes on the vertical) needs zoom to be able to pick out the different hashes; a 1-mil hash at 2x is basically too small to use.

Thanks for the reply! In TTG we shoot .223/5.56 so like you said the bullet trajectory at <300 is not going to be that much so that's where I thought a FFP BDC reticle might be best. Quick, easy, same holds regardless of magnification. Where we need magnification is hitting small targets. Like 2" circles at 60 yards or index cards at 100 yards). At least I have a hard time seeing those things at that distance. LOL

I primarily used 1x today at a TTG. We shot 6" steel plates at 70-80 yards and index cards at 15-18 yards so no magnification was needed.

I'm strongly considering the Razor 1-10x in EBR-9 MOA. Seems like it fits exactly what I'm looking for but is $$$ so just making sure it's the right scope for my application(s).

Huh, ok, now I get the competition format a little better.

I wonder if anyone makes a FFP BDC calibrated for your round, seems like 5.56 NATO should be well-served by somebody out there.