• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil-r vs h59

buckeyesguy5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I'm goin to be picking up an atacr 5-25 f1 this week and am having a hard time deciding on which reticle. I would really like the h59 but dunno if it's worth $400 over the mil r. For those of you who have the h59 do you feel you use the holds enough to justify it? Also I'm switching from moa to mil so I'm not 100% but it seems like the mil r reticle has some pretty coarse increments, am I right?

Last edited:
If you plan on holding over and off more than dialing you'll want the H59.

For holding over and holding into the wind, the thing I don't like with reticles similar to the MilR is aiming out in space when it's windy, no hash marks for referencing . Better off dialing for wind in that case and you better hope wind speed and direction are reasonable.

With the H reticles, or a good tree reticle, the info you need is in the reticle which helps you distinguish .1 mil if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowcapped
Worth it? To some yes, to others no. I pick my reticles based on which is easier for me to get behind and feel comfortable. Some reticles are just very pleasing to the eye, like the G2 for me. I've had H reticles before but I no longer have any in the stables. I dial for elevation and hold for wind, unless the stage calls for no touching of the turrets. Look at the Mil C reticle, It has a much better lateral line for wind holds. You can go between the lines for a .1 mil hold. That might delay your purchase as I don't think it's out yet. Sometimes the new hotness is worth waiting for.

I think the question comes down to the type of shooting you do and your style of shooting. If you like dialing, there is nothing wrong with the standard Mil-R. If you shoot competitions often where you are racing the clock, using holds might benefit you more often. If you like the Mil-R over the Horus, wait til the Mil-C. If you feel you would prefer to use holds or find you need them, the H59 will pay for itself in due time.

Good luck!

I'm a big fan of the H59. It just takes a day or two of use, before you start to really hit your stride with it. I've had great success shooting with it in everything from rainforests to desert to arctic conditions. I remember in one training I attended, I realized I hadn't touched my elevation turret in the preceding three days. Whereas another student failed the final evolution, because he had made a single click error in returning his elevation to zero. Granted, there was some pretty intense stressors in effect, but still. What's the best way to solve that? Remove the need to futz (technical term) with your elevation turret at all.

I tried a Horus on a Leupold Mark 4 M5 FFP and I really didn't care for it. As others said above, if you want to make big shots with holdovers, its pretty neat. Other than doing that a few times for fun, I always dial for elevation and hold for wind, so the extra "noise" just becomes an annoyance. I can see its value if you have multiple range targets, especially at unknown distances and want to correct quickly without having to dial, but my steel is all known distance and if im 1/2 mil off, I just hold for the difference on the Mil R.

The NF has solid mechanics and zero stop, so if you do your part, the scope will do its part. If you want to shoot without having to dial, then the H59 is for you.

I have three scopes with Mil-r and really like them. I tried the H59 once and was just too busy for my likes. I also dial for elevation and hold for wind. I would like to see the new Mil-c. It might help in your decision.

Another fan of Mil-R but I normally dial for elevation and hold windage so it works well. I grew up on mil dot and never had a problem with it. Having used several different tree reticles, I think they would be excellent if I just used them for a while. But, I kinda like the unobscured view with the Mil-R for spotting and the occasions when I've held for elevation and just a mil or so of windage I haven't had a problem. If the wind is big I take the time to dial elevation so I'm not guessing in the "clear spot". I don't have to do much time critical shooting - at least not to the point that I've felt the Mil-R a big hindrance. Just my .02...

Another fan of Mil-R but I normally dial for elevation and hold windage so it works well. I grew up on mil dot and never had a problem with it. Having used several different tree reticles, I think they would be excellent if I just used them for a while. But, I kinda like the unobscured view with the Mil-R for spotting and the occasions when I've held for elevation and just a mil or so of windage I haven't had a problem. If the wind is big I take the time to dial elevation so I'm not guessing in the "clear spot". I don't have to do much time critical shooting - at least not to the point that I've felt the Mil-R a big hindrance. Just my .02...

My story is quite unique, way back when, when there were few affordable choices in FFP scopes, I ended up with the old Horus scopes. Most of the ones I had didn't track too well but the reticles were right on the money. So I was forced to learn and use holdovers and holdoffs if I wanted any success at all. I practiced and got used to and good at holding over and holding off. For the most part, especially off a bipod, doing so works better than most would think. It's really a matter of training.

3-4 years later the H59 reticle came out. I started winning matches and won a couple long range series events, very rarely dialing, except for our 1100Y steel. There's no way in the world I would have won using standard reticles by holding over and holding off. It's the reference of .2 hashes in the grid that made that possible and when I missed the measurement I needed from POA to POI was there to be used.

Other factors that I attribute to my success back then was I "had more time" since I wasn't dialing.
To appraise a good wind call, as well as build a more solid position, and identify the correct target to engage ,or to think about what I was doing to avoid mistakes.

I admit I dial much more nowadays, especially for positional stages, which I'll even dial wind for so I can snap the shot while centered, but I have the H59 reticle to use for holdover/off if need be. I also use the .2 windage hashes when I dial elevation for holding off.