• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil Ranging

sherlok

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2004
East Texas
www.oldhomes4sale.com
With cheaper range finders available, not too much seems to be written about ranging with mil dot scopes. After finally figuring out how to do it, I find it fascinating and easy using distance cards that you can download free, laminate and have stuck between your stock and extra cartridge loops. I try not to be too noticeable recording the measurement of things and I have a inexpensive unmounted mil dot scope to make distance measurements without creating panic in the neighborhood. With practice you can get pretty good at ranging.

I found following description of the process in the online catalog of a scope manufacturer.

“MIL-DOT RANGE ESTIMATING EXAMPLE:

For example, based on past experiences, the length of a known animal from shoulder to tail is 72 inches, and we see through the scope to find that it occupies 5 mils. Therefore, the distance can be derived from using the scope’s formula below - “ And they go on to compute the distance of the animal to be 400 yards which is correct.

I take issue in using the width of things rather than height to measure distance simply because the target can be at an angle to the shooter making its apparent width less than it really is. The object will then fill fewer mil dots in your scope and cause you to overestimate the range.

Taking the above example, if the 72" wide animal is at a 45 degree angle to the shooter it will occupy about 3.75 mil dots rather than 5 mils causing you to compute the animal at 533 yards away rather than 400. You would think that such a large angle would be obvious or noticeable to the shooter, but it is not especially at longer distances.

Measuring height of objects is the way to go. That way the animal would have to lean so far over that he would topple before it would affect your distance calculation. Leave the windage mils for wind correction only.

Sherlok

Re: Mil Ranging

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With cheaper range finders available, not too much seems to be written about ranging with mil dot scopes.</div></div>

Really? Hmm.

Realistically, animal sizes vary so much that if the range is very long it's a lot more prudent to use a laser rangefinder.

You might find this recent thread on uphill and downhill shooting interesting:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1804729

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Measuring height of objects is the way to go. That way the animal would have to lean so far over that he would topple before it would affect your distance calculation.</div></div>

In my experience, animals, and people too, tend to stand upright on a slope. They will, therefore, be at an angle to the shooter, they will look smaller, and the range will be overestimated.

But compensating for that is pretty simple. Assuming that the target is vertical, calculate the range to the target. You're going to have to do that to know how much to compensate for the uphill or downhill shot. Then multiply the calculated range by the cosine of the angle.

And see the linked thread for compensating for uphill or downhill shots.

Another very useful ranging tool when shooting in mountainous areas is a good topographic map. As long as you know how to read terrain features this can be a very quick and accurate option, also all distances depicted on your map will be flat line so factoring in your angle is not an issue.

Thanks for the link Lindy. Good info. At least if you have a target on a hill, you would be aware of it and know that it will affect both ranging and trajectory. My point was based on my experience, measuring things horizontally as per the manufacturer's instructions cited will certainly result in erroneous ranging.

Sherlok

angled-to-object.png

Now, I should have included an example of when you're both uphill from the object being ranged AND off to the side!

dude, there is a shit ton of info on the net about mil ranging. i use the yards x 1000/mil reading method.