• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil Scale GAP recticle, what are your thoughts/exp

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    I am looking at a USO pending Household6 approval.
    I was wondering what you think about the Mil Scale GAP recticle and what your experiences are with it?

Also I was wondering what ring height I need for a 5X25-58 TPal with a 20MOA base on a REM 700 action with a Rock Creek 5R M24 contour barrel? I would measure this out myself if I wasn't in this wonderful place called Afghanistan.

Intent is to place it on my .300WM for long range shooting depending on range availability (PCS moves sometimes make this difficult) while still maintaining the ability to do some closer stuff (100 meter) if that is all I have available. I want to push the rifle out past 1000 meters which it is fully capable of.

Tell me if I'm crazy.

Thanks,

Re: Mil Scale GAP recticle, what are your thoughts/exp

Its my favorite of their reticles, I have two USOs with Mil-Gap reticle. Its simple and just plain works for me. I dont think you can go wrong with it.

Not sure on ring height but I am sure that the Mil GAP reticle freaking rocks.

By far my favorite reticle. Not too busy but enough to be super fast, 13 mils of hold over/under. Definitely my go to reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at a USO pending Household6 approval.
    I was wondering what you think about the Mil Scale GAP recticle and what your experiences are with it?</div></div>
    I haven't owned a 5-25X TPAL, but my experience with my own 3.2-17X 44mm Low Pro ERGO with an illuminated GAP reticle was excellent. I concur with <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">AlabamaShooter</span></span> and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">KNIGHT11B4</span></span>: The GAP reticle is a great reticle and it is also my favorite USO reticle. The GAP reticle is a very clean, clutter-free design that does not obsure the anything in the view (the alternating bisecting MIL and non-bisecting half MIL stadia are great), and the lines are fine enough to allow for quite precise aiming even with the magnification cranked-up to 17X. Mirage notwithstanding I could easily quarter .5 MIL targets at 1,000 yards. Don't know about that with the daytime heat in A-stan though.

Another reticle that you might consider is the Gen 2 XR, which USO licenses for use from Premier Reticles. Like a lot of other reticles available from USO, the Gen 2 XR isn't listed on the USO web site, but they do offer it for the 5-25X TPAL. Be forewarned that the Gen 2 XR reticle in USO scopes is a bit different than in S & B PMII and Premier Heritage scopes. Its' been quite a while since I looked through a Gen 2 XR-equipped USO, but off the top of my head I know that (a) <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">the entire reticle illuminates</span></span>. (On the PMII and Heritage Gen 2 XRs' only the first 3 MILs' of Windage and Elevation <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">above</span></span> the "crosshairs", the full 10 MILs' of <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Elevation</span></span> below the crosshairs, and the first <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">MILDOT</span></span> of windage at 2 MILs' and 4 MILs' of Elevation below the crosshairs are illuminated).

Also, IIRC, the Gen 2 XR reticles in the USO scopes that I've looked through in the 3.2-17X ERGO, 3.2-17X T-PAL, and 5-25X TPAL did not have numbers denoting the MILs' on the horizonal or vertical lines. My memory for details is usually pretty damn good but its' been several years since the last time I looked through a Gen 2 XR-equipped USO so that may or may not be the case currently, if it ever was at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also I was wondering what ring height I need for a 5X25-58 TPal with a 20MOA base on a REM 700 action with a Rock Creek 5R M24 contour barrel? I would measure this out myself if I wasn't in this wonderful place called Afghanistan.</div></div>
    I don't know about the ring height, but will you be mounting NV? That may make a difference, but a USO with a 58mm Objective is one big mother and needs to be mounted pretty high anyway so maybe not. Maybe John, Jeff, or Becky will see this and post the information you need to buy the best height for your application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Intent is to place it on my .300WM for long range shooting depending on range availability (PCS moves sometimes make this difficult) while still maintaining the ability to do some closer stuff (100 meter) if that is all I have available. I want to push the rifle out past 1000 meters which it is fully capable of.

Tell me if I'm crazy.</div></div>
    You're not crazy - the 5-25X TPAL is a very capable scope and both the GAP and Gen 2 XR reticles will serve you well. I've used both extensively at both long and short ranges - the GAP in a 3.2-17X 44mm Low Pro ERGO and the Gen 2 XR in the PMII 5-25X and both are great. The Gen 2 XR is a little more wind hold friendly and I would probably go with the Gen 2 XR but you're the one spending the money (hopefully).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, </div></div>
    You're very welcome. Thanks for serving the U.S. and do your best to safeguard yourself and Our other personnel over there.

Keith

I've recently purchased my second USO SN-3 3.2-17. The first had the MPR reticle and the second has the GAP reticle. The MPR has alot more info in the reticle, but I can see why people always refer to the GAP reticle as not being busy or cluttered. The GAP reticle has all that you need.

Stefan:

Is this going on your TRG 42? I seem to remember you were shopping for one...

I run the Mil MPR, but the GAP is also an outstanding reticle. Fewer hash marks, and that's not a negative.

What I can tell you is that the 5 - 25 T-Pal is just fine <100 yds. Dial it back and make sure you have dope for it. I've shot mine down to about 18 yards at a competition w. no issues.

On a 300 Win Mag, it will easily let you go out to 1000 or better. You will love the scope and it's worth the investment w.out question.

Cheers and stay safe,

Sirhr

To add on to Aries, I have a 3.2-17x44 Tpal, 34mm tube, push button illumination, with the Gen 2 XR reticle. I used 34mm seekin low rings an I have about .200 clearance above my MTU contour barrel.The whole reticle does light up, there are no numbers on the USO version of the XR reticle. But what I like about the XR reticle is that it gives you drop and windage marks, but not so many that it is barely discernable. i.e. the Horus reticles... I would highly recommend this reticle as well as the Mil Gap too. I have had both, but the Gen 2 XR is my favorite.

I bought a TRG-22.
    The optic is for my Rem 700 .300WM action that I had re-barreled with a Rock Creek 5R M24 contour barrel, action trued, bolt fluted(bling), Jewel trigger, McRees stock, threaded for 18X1 for a Sako muzzle break and my TBAC 30P-1 suppressor.

I just need to get the action and barrel cerekoated, the new optic and rings and I should be mission complete with that rifle besides loading ammo and shooting when I finally get home/move my family up to Alaska after this deployment.

My concern was that with that large of an optic and a 20MOA base I would need much higher rings.

Thanks for the info!!!

I have that reticle in my 3.8-22X44 35 mm tube SN-3 on my .338 Lapua. I like it a lot, not too busy and provides 9 mils holdover from the crosshair. Coupled up with a .1 mil EREK knob it's the perfect reticle in my eyes. You won't be disappointed.

Can't comment on the ring selection.