• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Miles Gilbert bedding?

blacktaco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
PacifcNW
Hi All,
I just read the bedding thread - and I'm sold on Devcon for my higher end rifles.
I have a cheap Butler Creek stocked Howa 1500 30-06 though that I would like to practice bedding on. Locally - I can't find anything but the Miles Gilbert bedding kit. Will this suffice on a rifle/stock I don't really care to much about?
Thanks!

Re: Miles Gilbert bedding?

Never have used it, but check with some of the marine/boat dealers in your area they will have MarineTex

Thanks pd721 - there are plenty of marine facilties around here, I'm sure MarineTex will be easy to find. I didn't realize MarineTex was something that could be had locally. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blacktaco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks pd721 - there are plenty of marine facilties around here, I'm sure MarineTex will be easy to find. I didn't realize MarineTex was something that could be had locally. Thanks!
</div></div>

MarineTex comes in different colors. Don't get home and realize that you just bought white apoxy to bed your rifle
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blacktaco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks pd721 - there are plenty of marine facilties around here, I'm sure MarineTex will be easy to find. I didn't realize MarineTex was something that could be had locally. Thanks!
</div></div>

MarineTex comes in different colors. Don't get home and realize that you just bought white apoxy to bed your rifle
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yes that would suck. You,ll need the gray, which is actually more like black. Not a fan of the one you mentioned (MG).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The white is soft.</div></div>

You made me look. Here's what i found on their website.

<span style="font-weight: bold">COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH*: </span>
Gray - 13,000 PSI (910 Kg/Cm2)
White - 8,700 PSI (610 Kg/Cm2)

<span style="font-weight: bold">ADHESION SHEAR STRENGTH*:</span>
Gray - 1,800 PSI (126 Kg/Cm2)
White - 2,300 PSI (160 Kg/Cm2)

<span style="font-weight: bold">CHEMICAL RESISTANCE:</span>
Most common acids, alkalies and hydrocarbons.

<span style="font-weight: bold">TENSILE STRENGTH*:</span>
Both White and Gray - 4,000 PSI (280 Kg/Cm2)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The white is soft.</div></div>

You made me look. Here's what i found on their website.

<span style="font-weight: bold">COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH*: </span>
Gray - 13,000 PSI (910 Kg/Cm2)
White - 8,700 PSI (610 Kg/Cm2)

<span style="font-weight: bold">ADHESION SHEAR STRENGTH*:</span>
Gray - 1,800 PSI (126 Kg/Cm2)
White - 2,300 PSI (160 Kg/Cm2)

<span style="font-weight: bold">CHEMICAL RESISTANCE:</span>
Most common acids, alkalies and hydrocarbons.

<span style="font-weight: bold">TENSILE STRENGTH*:</span>
Both White and Gray - 4,000 PSI (280 Kg/Cm2)

</div></div>

Thanks for the heads up!! Good thing that I was running behind last night and didn't swing by and pick-up $40 worth of the white stuff..lol..
I'll give them a call again this morning once they open and confirm they have the gray in stock.

Another question, (which may sound stupid) but there isn't any metals in the MarineTex right?
I read Chad Dixon's post on steel as a ingredient in bedding compounds - and steel can rust and ruin a bedding job (makes sense).
Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No metal in marine Tex that I know of. </div></div>
Thanks! I checked the ingredients and I don't know if any of them rust....LOL....

Magnesite 546-93-0 10 - 30 by weight
Bisphenol A diglycidyl ether resin 25068-38-6 30 - 60 by weight
Titanium dioxide 13463-67-7 10 - 30 by weight
Magnesium silicate hydrate 14807-96-6 10 - 30 by weight
Non-hazardous ingredients. N/A 10 - 30 by weight
Cresyl glycidyl ether 2210-79-9 0.1 - 1 by weight
Inert material N/A 0.1 - 1 by weight
Calcite 13397-26-7 1 - 5 by weight
Chlorite 1318-59-8 1 - 5 by weight
Dolomite 16389-88-1 1 - 5 by weight
Crystalline silica 14808-60-7 0.1 - 1 by weight

I would assume there isn't any rust problems since this is one of the major go-to's for bedding compound.

If you want to add metal, and are at a marine facility- see if they carry West System products.

West System has a huge line of epoxy fillers, and among them is powdered aluminum. I'm going to order a can before my next bedding job.