• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Military Jeopardy

Military oddities for $400....

21543783_1245676895578955_710387615200511714_o.jpg

This changed naval warfare, how?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Interesting photo Sihr! BTW, I took your recommendation and visited the Churchill Museum in London, along with the Imperial War Museum. Time well spent on my one day not working last week. Thanks (pretty sure it was you) for the pointer/heads up. The Churchill museum was indeed very interesting, and painted a unique snapshot in time (specifically the large map in the operations room that still has the pin holes from all the lost ships to U-boat activity).

Okay, I like this game, can't wait --what'd gunfighter have to go beddy-bye? Stand-to is wakey-wakey time! After your mandatory 4 hour nap!

Tactics for $1000

Speaking of stand to, this popular infantry tradition started when, and who (man or unit) generally gets the credit for implementing it into US military doctrine?

Oh, I would have gotten the babbage engine wrong --I was aware of it being the first "computer" but was thinking you mistook it for the Turing machine which revolutionized a LOT more than naval warfare.

Ah, the "morning hate". World War I, where each man stood in the trench, bayonet fixed, ready for the attack. Which didn't come because the other side was doing the same. But I lose, because I have no idea who originated the custom.

Things that sound same but are different for 600

The Germans shot at the Allies with them. The Allies shot and bombed the Axis with it and Allies needed one for access their food.

The Germans shot at the Allies with them. The Allies shot and bombed the Axis with it and Allies needed one for access their food.

P38. Which included Walther pistol... Lightning fighter, and tiny C-rats can opener. Good one.

Ill have one tomorrow when I download some images...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Ps. In the mean time... Carry on!!

My Uncle Johnny WW2 786th Tank Battalion. Captured a P-38 AC 41 and carried a p38 on his dogtags. He was a driver of a Sherman Tank. He told me the tanks name was Black Magic cause he named it. I thought that was cool cause I had a model Sherman that had that name on it. One day he asked if I wanted to see the "real one" he showed me a b&w photo of his "Black Magic" It had one track blown off setting in the mud. Everyone in the photo looked filthy and tired. On the turret for all the world to see was scrawled "Black Magic".

This may be the best one in the thread so far. I used to have a P38 can opener when I was a kid. Haven't thought of it in years.

This may be the best one in the thread so far. I used to have a P38 can opener when I was a kid. Haven't thought of it in years.

I still keep one in the pack when i head out. Open one can of hash with your knife and try to skin an elk and i bet you never forget it again.

Holy shit, "What is the Turing Machine!" The front from "Imitation Game" would have given it away too quick, awesome picture.

You know the original was destroyed, right? I'm guessing you do, as you're making me extremely jealous you going to all these awesome museums and "hysterical" landmarks!

That machine revolutionized mathematics, I'm still wrapping my head around Turing's work. You know he discovered the how and why animals have spots? Everyone thought he was crazy, he was so alone, not just being gay in those days but he had nobody that could follow his thinking at the time. We lost the greatest mathematician of the 20th century at the age of ~42 to a cyanide laced apple. No telling what he would have gone on to do.

What was that one worth, the daily double?

Nobody got my last one, it was Roger's Rangers that is credited with establishing the tradition of stand-to (when infantrymen all wake up and perform 100% security after the witching hour but before daybreak. Traditionally, that's when most attacks happened, notably by the natives here. You crawl out of the fart sack and stand next to a tree for an hour or so motionless, silent. It's also the coldest part of the day, which is why it sucks and why most infantrymen will never forget stand to. Do they still do it?

Yep, they still do it. That last hour before sun rise was always the coldest, suckiest hour...

Okay, got one. Patriotism for $1000.

2 parts: This is traditionally said to be found inside the ball ornament atop the flagpole at any given US military installation. Another item is traditionally said to buried within proximity of it.

Daily Double if you can explain the purpose of it.

Are you talking about a "truck" that is on the top of the flag pole, and supposedly has matches, hemp and a .45 cal round? Something about a .45 pistol supposedly buried nearby (I think this is more urban legend than anything that is done today).

Holy shit, "What is the Turing Machine!" The front from "Imitation Game" would have given it away too quick, awesome picture.

You know the original was destroyed, right? I'm guessing you do, as you're making me extremely jealous you going to all these awesome museums and "hysterical" landmarks!

That machine revolutionized mathematics, I'm still wrapping my head around Turing's work. You know he discovered the how and why animals have spots? Everyone thought he was crazy, he was so alone, not just being gay in those days but he had nobody that could follow his thinking at the time. We lost the greatest mathematician of the 20th century at the age of ~42 to a cyanide laced apple. No telling what he would have gone on to do.

Nobody got my last one, it was Roger's Rangers that is credited with establishing the tradition of stand-to (when infantrymen all wake up and perform 100% security after the witching hour but before daybreak. Traditionally, that's when most attacks happened, notably by the natives here. You crawl out of the fart sack and stand next to a tree for an hour or so motionless, silent. It's also the coldest part of the day, which is why it sucks and why most infantrymen will never forget stand to. Do they still do it?

Technically, not a Turing machine. He came up with the concept, but several others built it. But, yes, it is a recreation at Bletchley Park. And it works. The 're-creation' project has been magnificent.

This was my first time at Bletchley. And I am glad I waited, because the 2014 restoration has done amazing things for the place. My first 5 patents were in cryptography... and so this place has some amazing personal connections. In the late 1990's, when I was working in the field more closely, I was in Cambridge for 6 months. We met most nights at The Free Press (where I had dinner last night with three friends from that era). We had too much beer and bad sandwiches. 20 years ago, it was blazing hot curry and cask ale. We had the snug almost every night and if my math is right, at least 25 patents came out of there in 6 months... 5 of them with my name on them. Mostly in crypto or something related.

The picture of of the backside of the Bombe computers. Which would come up with the rotor settings for the Enigmas.

Big regret from back then... I could have bought an Enigma -- German -- for about $2,000. Today, 10 times that... and that's for a bad post-war Eastern-Europe unit.

Good call and... yes, good tour this time! Today, I was at RAF Duxford and lucked into the RAF Battle Flight Air show coming up starting Saturday. The place was empty.... but all the planes were arriving and landing and taking off and rehearsing. Saw the first flying Spitfire I ever saw. And the B17 landed while I was here. And a Lysander... which I've never seen flying. Great museum!

More coming on the cemetery here in Cambridge.

As I mentioned last year, it's a great time to come over. Flights dirt cheap. Not many tourists as they are afraid of getting fried on the tube. But it's all here for the appreciating.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Are you talking about a "truck" that is on the top of the flag pole, and supposedly has matches, hemp and a .45 cal round? Something about a .45 pistol supposedly buried nearby (I think this is more urban legend than anything that is done today).

Yep, you got it. It's a razor for cutting the stars and stripes, a match to burn it, and a single .45ACP round that's for the pistol buried I don't know how many paces from the pole. Intention is that you kill yourself after burning the flag.

In reality, I understand they quit doing this if they ever did. I also understand that at least ONE flagpole does in fact have this, but I can't recall which one it is. I doubt the pistol is still there regardless.

Marine PMI, your turn to stump us.

Last edited:
21685950_1248768118603166_1685181657977220183_n.jpg

Visited this today It has a Vermont connection. Didn't think any of it was left.

What is it?

Sorry if it's not my turn....

Cheers,

Sirhr

With everyone coming and going, not sure turns matter much... Besides, you have some unique ones on tap we don't.

Just guessing --is this the yardarm from an important naval ship?

Actually, I think it was Iraq who killed him... By the time he was 'offed' outside his hotel/apartment in Paris, he was done with his end of the project. And may have either been having second thoughts about the project (when the axis's of the guns were pointing at Israel and Iran... NOT in directions to launch a satellite he would have had a big clue.) Or Bull was simply too talkative for his own good. After all, he thought he was building a satellite launcher... and helping the Arabs enter the space race. That was his 'deal' with Iraq. Not a gun. He knew better, having served time in the U.S. under Carter... for helping the Agency with some projects in Angola. And getting thrown under the bus by Stansfield Turner (another blot on Turner's dismal record.)

Moreover, he got along great with the Israeli's and had helped redesign a lot of their artillery and shells... they would have wanted him as a source... And if he had been stepping too far out of bounds, Israel would have given him some very, very clear warnings beforehand... that he would have obeyed.

Personally, I think Saddam had him killed...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Actually, I think it was Iraq who killed him... By the time he was 'offed' outside his hotel/apartment in Paris, he was done with his end of the project. And may have either been having second thoughts about the project (when the axis's of the guns were pointing at Israel and Iran... NOT in directions to launch a satellite he would have had a big clue.) Or Bull was simply too talkative for his own good. After all, he thought he was building a satellite launcher... and helping the Arabs enter the space race. That was his 'deal' with Iraq. Not a gun. He knew better, having served time in the U.S. under Carter... for helping the Agency with some projects in Angola. And getting thrown under the bus by Stansfield Turner (another blot on Turner's dismal record.)

Moreover, he got along great with the Israeli's and had helped redesign a lot of their artillery and shells... they would have wanted him as a source... And if he had been stepping too far out of bounds, Israel would have given him some very, very clear warnings beforehand... that he would have obeyed.

Personally, I think Saddam had him killed...

Cheers,

Sirhr

if this is true the movie was WAY off...........(shocking I know)

Haha I'm with Artillery but it definitely still happens and it really sucks because usually it's at the least opportune times.

Please someone else take my turn. Little too busy this evening. Love the game though.

how much did the Flying Tigers get for a kill?

I think I remember it was something like $1,000... but that they did not count ground kills... which pissed off the Flying Tigers. Because they took out a lot of Japanese planes in some pretty ballsy airfield raids, but did not get any compensation.

Cheers,

Sirhr