• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Military Jeopardy

I met an older guy at work who had a Citadel water painting on his office wall. He was in Vietnam and a marine. I asked if he saw action.... He said "yea". He was a company commander at Khe Sanh. He was a great guy.. amazed at how calm and cool he was all the time.
I met an older guy at work who had a Citadel water painting on his office wall. He was in Vietnam and a marine. I asked if he saw action.... He said "yea". He was a company commander at Khe Sanh. He was a great guy.. amazed at how calm and cool he was all the time.
i was at Khe Sanh , med evac door gunner, kept out H34 in the revetments. I stayed in a shell crater near by, Evil eyes painted on the front clam shells.

Who is the only US general to have been killed during the American Indian Wars. Google will make this easy, but try to avoid using it. I am curious if others know about this. The only reason I am aware of it is because I had a Commander who loved military history and he arraigned a TEWT (Training Exercise Without Troops) to go to the battlefield and review the battle.

No, It is not General George Custer BTW. He was brevetted to the rank of Brigadier General during the Civil War and brevetted again to Major General later in the war. After the Civil War he returned to his permanent rank of Captain, was appointed to Lieutenant Colonel and dispatched out West to fight the American Indian War. At his demise at Little Big Horn he did not have the rank of General even though he is routinely referred to at General Custer.

Yes... church bells from all over the South. Went to the Tredegar Ironworks for casting into bronze cannons...

Bronze was the best cannon material. But iron was also very good. But I am reading an amazing book right now called "Ironmaker to the Confederacy" about Tredegar. And the details about the difference between pig iron and gun iron.... amazing!

Economics and the realities of the South are a very hot topic right now. And it's a coincidence that as I research some of the cannons I am restoring... and the environments in which they are built... are giving some amazing insight into Southern economics.

Myth and memory argues that the South was doomed from the start, based on their industrial capacity. This *may* not be correct. There was plenty of capacity, but the states were so insular and self-focused... that a surplus of cloth in North Carolina... never helped out Virginia. A huge surplus of corn and animal forage... never helped out iron forges in Tennessee. Which would have fed the Tredegar and other ironworks in GA and NC, etc. The CSA states were so focused on their own needs and their own insular, selfish hoarding economies... that they never shared with the "Nation" of the South.

There is, IMHO, now a good interpretation that the CSA had everything they needed, industrially, to be... just fine. But they were all so 'States rights' focused that they never supported the entire CSA nation. And, as a result, each state ended the war with their own various 'surpluses' and hoardes of material... but were never able/willing to relinquish it to their neighbor states... to win as a nation.

The Army of Northern Virginia was threadbare and barefoot.... when the North Carolina warehouses had a massive surplus of uniforms and shoes. When Tredegar sent agents to buy corn and forage (to keep their ironworkers and animals fed) down to Georgia where there was a surplus... the Georgia Governor had them arrested for "exporting war material."

States rights... went too far. IMHO (and this is a recent thought)... the over-aggressive statism of the South... failed to support the entity as a whole and, probably, cost the South victory. While the Union was inward-focused... and cooperating. All the Southern states were so focused on their own individualtiy... that they not only were against the Union... they were against all the other CSA states, too!

The documentation on this is pretty, well, damning. And this is from a Northerner!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Who is the only US general to have been killed during the American Indian Wars. Google will make this easy, but try to avoid using it. I am curious if others know about this. The only reason I am aware of it is because I had a Commander who loved military history and he arraigned a TEWT (Training Exercise Without Troops) to go to the battlefield and review the battle.

No, It is not General George Custer BTW. He was brevetted to the rank of Brigadier General during the Civil War and brevetted again to Major General later in the war. After the Civil War he returned to his permanent rank of Captain, was appointed to Lieutenant Colonel and dispatched out West to fight the American Indian War. At his demise at Little Big Horn he did not have the rank of General even though he is routinely referred to at General Custer.

I'd have to google this one so I'll pass.

They actually did it in schools, as part of school work. So yeah, children made them. Some very young children in fact. These bombs also account for the only US civilian deaths accountable to enemy fire during WW2. A family in (CA?) took a picture with one and it detonated when the kid touched it, as I recall.

If they did that now it probably would work spectacularly, given how dry everything is nowadays.
Occured near Bly, Oregon, off of Highway 140. Several monuments near there, including at the site, telling of the incident. Bly is a small town between Klamath Falls, and Lakeview OR. Lovely part of the country.

Occured near Bly, Oregon, off of Highway 140. Several monuments near there, including at the site, telling of the incident. Bly is a small town between Klamath Falls, and Lakeview OR. Lovely part of the country.

I grew up on the Southern Oregon coast and spent a fair about of time in Southern Oregon. It is desolate, beautiful country. At least the Rouge River-Siskiyou National Forrest area. One of the reasons I know about the question I posted regarding which US Army General was killed during the Indian Wars. It happened in Southern Oregon south of Klammath Falls with the Modocs.

I remember hearing the stories of the balloon bombs. If I remember correctly (I was a little kid then) there is a lodge near Agness, OR that has one of the rings from one of the incendiary balloon bombs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barneybdb
I can throw one out. Try not to google, I'm sure you'll have some good answers.

Who was the highest ranking officer ever ON ACTIVE DUTY?

By the way, that General killed during the Indian Wars, I think was Canby. There is a town near the Lava Beds, in Northern CA named after him.

Yep. It was General Edward Canby. He was ambushed and killed at peace talks with the Modocs by "Captain Jack". We toured Captain Jacks Stronghold and the lava fields where some battles occurred. Nasty terrain. I saw how the severely outnumbered Indians were able to use the terrain, draws, caves, and tunnels to flank and outmaneuver the Cav. 53 Modoc warriors inflicted 35 KIA's and a number of wounded without any losses on 225 Cavalry troopers who also had 100 or so Oregon Militia members supporting them. The Modoc's were able to hold off the Army for a few months this way.

Eventually the Modocs agreed to peace talks and due to infighting among the tribe Captain Jack agreed with the plan to assassinate General Canby. They believed that if you removed the leader of the Army forces the remaining soldiers would leave and go back home. They just didn't understand Western military culture. General Canby was killed along with a reverend (I don't remember his name) and the Modocs fled back to the stronghold area. A few months later a 1000 man army was sent in to crush the remaining Modocs. Captain Jack surrendered. As a side note, Captain Jack was tried by military tribunal for war crimes and hanged. He is the only Indian to have been convicted by military tribunal for War Crimes and hung as a war criminal.

Last edited:
Pershing or Westmoreland??

You got it, it was Black Jack Pershing! He was a 6 star during active duty making him "general of the armies"

Washington actually didn't carry that high rank during the revolution, his rank is more "honorary" technically. He still is and always will be the highest ranking general in the US, dead or alive.

MacArthur was a five star and during WW2 that meant he was CIC Pacific Theatre and Roosevelt was CIC European Theatre.

I understand that 4 star is now the highest anyone can be with the current structure. But I'm sure they said that before.

All of our questions have come from all eras, but the only one I am good at is RVN.
This has been a most enlightening thread because I now know about all kinds of shit that went Boom or something from many years ago to present.
Have we discussed the Kaiten?

What Is the only Marine Corp unit allowed to have Nose Art. The unit painted Evil Eyes on the front of their Choppers during the Vietnam Nam war and were allowed to keep them to this day.

HML-367 flew AH-1G Cobras in Viet Nam with nose art representing the face of a cobra...

She looked an awful lot like Carollyn Devore (married Joe Ronnie Hooper), and was in some "army times" type magazine, back page pic, in a tiger suit. I'm still trying to find that pic.
This was about the same time Nancy Sinatra was over there, and same magazine , back page pic, was wearing the famous boots and a one star generals top, and it looked like nothing else. Still trying to find that pic too....
Challenge.....

What has 212000 hp?
An Iowa class battleship. This is the USS Missouri firing in Desert Storm. I need two of these.

Next question (easy, don't google): What is are "ladies from hell" (not your ex-wives)?

Attachments

• USS Missouri.jpg
    USS Missouri.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 97
Ladies From Hell was the nick name given to the Black Watch (Brithish unit of Scottish Infantry). I only know that becuase I have always wanted them to play at my funeral, and read up on them some time ago. Hell, if Paul McCartney can have them in his music video, I can have them at my funeral. They were also referenced by a character in the old movie "Gunga Din", which is what started my interest in the unit.
I guess i need to pose a question.
One of the earliest, if not THE earliest explorer of much of Southern and Western Texas. His family name was awarded (along with the actual...) for the heroism of an ancestor in a battle in Spain. Stranded on the beach he made his way to near El Paso, on foot, naked, and often the prisoner of the local tribes. 1527. Who was he?

Last edited:
Reactions: Barneybdb and ADA
"One of the earliest, if not THE earliest explorer of much of Southern and Western Texas. His family name was awarded (along with the actual...) for the heroism of an ancestor in a battle in Spain. Stranded on the beach he made his way to near El Paso, on foot, naked, and often the prisoner of the local tribes. 1527. Who was he?"

I'm going with Juan de Oñate y Salazar.

Last edited:
"One of the earliest, if not THE earliest explorer of much of Southern and Western Texas. His family name was awarded (along with the actual...) for the heroism of an ancestor in a battle in Spain. Stranded on the beach he made his way to near El Paso, on foot, naked, and often the prisoner of the local tribes. 1527. Who was he?"

I'm going with Juan de Oñate y Salazar.
Nope.
But since it is a tough one, Look up Alvar Nunez Cabeza De Vaca (or Baca). Read his account of his enslaved travels and bare survival. Naked and afraid is NOTHING on this story. The Honorific/Name was given for an ancestor who had helped the King of Spain in an earlier incident, and was thus awarded the head of a cow ( a prize bull, I guess, mounted), and was allowed to append the name to his own. Kind of like adding MOH to ones name, I think, but the family could use it. Worthy read.

Bring it back, get it going again, start more discussion, ask more questions. This STILL IS a great thread.

My meager attempt at kick-starting with AED paddles:
'charge to 200'
"CLEAR"

Who first patented the ability to transmit pictures over radio's, and when? (and yes, this IS a Military based question)

Not trying to derail this thread but I thought I should put this out. Granite Falls, MN has a museum that is privately funded by the Fagen family. It is dedicated to preserving WW2 equipment and aircraft. My Father was a B25 pilot with the 41st Bomb Group so it meant a lot to me when I visited last week. If you are ever in the area it is worth the time to visit. http://www.fagenfighterswwiimuseum.org/

Would that be Charlie Jenkins? Sent pictures from a Navy radio station in Maryland to Washington about 1925?
He may very well have been the first to DO it, but as to my readings so far, William Stephenson was the first to Patent it. To be perfectly clear though, that don't mean the books Ive been reading are 100% accurately factual. One author is one person's opinion/view.

But this has brought a glimmer of hope/life back into the thread, so keep it up.