• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

MIlitary Powders

poke5353

Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Central Arkansas
Does anyone use Long Range Match military powder? I was thinking about buying some of it but I am not sure what to expect out of it. I will be using it for 223 and 308. It has been said that you can use RE-15 data for loading. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: MIlitary Powders

I have never used it nor heard of "Long Range Match military powder", I do use RL15 for both my 223 and 308 with good results.
What would you use it for (rifles)and application

memo

I use it, and I love it. Its a tad hotter than commercial RE15, but close. I use it mostly in the 308, and get fantastic results in bolt guns and AR10's. I get better velocity and a slight edge in accuracy with it compared to commercial RE15, from 175-190 sierras.

I tried it in the 223, but had to back down from known good loads with commercial RE15. It wasn't too hot, it just took up alot more case space. So I quit using it in 223. Its a great 308 powder. Might be good in other larger volume cases that do well with RE15 as well. I just didn't like it in 223, I use N140 for everything in that case.

My favorite load is LC brass, Wolf LRM primers and 44.3 of the LR powder topped off with a 175 SMK. Its been gold in just about every rifle I have tried it in and is a pefect match to the earlier 2005 M118LR loads that were issued to me, but more consistant and accurate since we can control more variables.

I run it in 308 as well.
Excellent results with 175's . 168's and 155's
My.155 amax load uses lc brass and 46.0
Runs great in my ar-10 and bolt guns.

That is awesome. Seen any issues with temp sensitivity? I'll be using it in 308 and I'll give it a try in 223.

If its anything like re15, it is very temperature stable. Imho

Looking at about 75 per 5lbs for the long range match. I want to use varget but it doesn't meter well I'm my hornady lnl powder measure. I just want a consistent powder that will work for 223 and 308 that meters well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you get long range military match powder, and is it cheaper than RL-15?

Thanks </div></div>

+1 What is Long Range Military match powder exactly? I haven't heard any powder with that name.

I haven't heard the powder referred to by that name, but it's basically a low-flash version of RL-15. So, if you do reloads with RL-15, you should end up with identical performance.

After a few seconds of poking around, it appears that people pull it from surplus military ammo and sell it as surplus, like these guys:

http://www.hi-techammo.com/

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't heard the powder referred to by that name, but it's basically a low-flash version of RL-15. So, if you do reloads with RL-15, you should end up with identical performance.

After a few seconds of poking around, it appears that people pull it from surplus military ammo and sell it as surplus, like these guys:

John </div></div>

That's where I get it. With a little work, you can find how to duplicate M118 with the lot you get. It does not meter well for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't heard the powder referred to by that name, but it's basically a low-flash version of RL-15. So, if you do reloads with RL-15, you should end up with identical performance.

John</div></div>

Thanks for the link! I almost panicked,
eek.gif
I was looking at some serious good prices, and for what ever reason, I deleted my tab with the hi-tech site and forgot where it came from. ...
whistle.gif
Good to go now.

Hello! I use RL15 in my 223 and for the last 4 years I have never had a problem. My load in 68 WCC brass is CCI450 primer, 24.5gr. RL15 under an 80gr. SMK. I use that load at 4,5 and 600 yards. I wish I could shoot as good as that load will do in my WOA 15. This load will also shoot 10s. and Xs. at 600 with my 9 twist LH Savage Tactical 223.

I just bought a five pounder at KC gun show.It was 79.95 I have the sellers name and address if anyone wants it.I am going to use it in 308 175SMK He said he got it from Lake City.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poke53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone use the 844 or 846 surplus powder? </div></div>

I use 846 in everything from .223 to 30-06. It's close to BLC-2.