• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Military Rimfires

pitspitr

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2020
Central Nebraska
we need to get a military rimfire sticky thread going...
As brother D_TROS said....
I'm starting a thread for Military Rimfires. Here's my Remington 513T
pix145170592.jpg

pix014273735.jpg
pix070330053.jpg
pix104735693.jpg
pix174172005.jpg
pix247259976.jpg
pix328803284.jpg
pix360025080.jpg
pix410895217.jpg
pix441335292.jpg
pix889387053.jpg

I Recently purchased her and have several questions but will start another question thread

Last edited:
My USMC Remington 40X with USMC PROPERTY marked Lyman Super Targetspot scope:

View attachment 8171113
View attachment 8171114
View attachment 8171115
View attachment 8171116
Starting to order the parts to convert my USMC Property 40x to an OG M40x. Ordering a Douglas barrel for it. Have the PTG Knurled bolt handle bolt for it, with the hopes the smith can modify the handle to match the skinny handles on the 6 digit bolts. Will probably have a Toki anodized Redfield on it as well.

Starting to order the parts to convert my USMC Property 40x to an OG M40x. Ordering a Douglas barrel for it. Have the PTG Knurled bolt handle bolt for it, with the hopes the smith can modify the handle to match the skinny handles on the 6 digit bolts. Will probably have a Toki anodized Redfield on it as well.

Sounds like an awesome project, post some pics!

Reactions: HogsLife
Enfield No.9 .22LR. They were converted by Parker Hale in the 1950s and 60s for training and cadet use.
No.4 rifles in .303 had the barrels sleeved to .22LR, a new rimfire bolt fitted and a new .22LR rear sight.

The magazine body is empty and just catches the fired cases now.

Ignition is fairly positive. Not many misfires with these rifles.

V7WUTPx.jpg

DRqYiJt.jpg

JF4D0Jb.jpg

JGDx1SB.jpg

Here's my 513T. Made in October, 1943. I purchased this from the CMP in 2005. Came without sights or magazine, for $90. I added iron sights and left it alone for years, but when I got this Spot Shot scope attached to a sniper rifle a couple years ago, I gave the scope a new job. I shoot this in prone matches, several times a year. It's no Remington Model 37, but it's still a cool old gun.

My only other military smallbore rifle is an M1922 Springfield. It's in the shop at the moment. I'll add some pics in the future.
IMG_0833.jpg

Here's my 513T. Made in October, 1943. I purchased this from the CMP in 2005. Came without sights or magazine, for $90. I added iron sights and left it alone for years, but when I got this Spot Shot scope attached to a sniper rifle a couple years ago, I gave the scope a new job. I shoot this in prone matches, several times a year. It's no Remington Model 37, but it's still a cool old gun.

My only other military smallbore rifle is an M1922 Springfield. It's in the shop at the moment. I'll add some pics in the future. View attachment 8173740
Very nice Jaimie. Could I please get you to measure the height of the scope blocks. I'm probably going to order a pair and would like to know for sure how tall ones I need

Very fond of the military 22 rifles. In my current inventory I have the following.
Kimber 82g- I used this rifle for my first year of 3 position club shooting.
H&R M12- currently has a Redfield 3200 16x scope.
Remington 513t-upgraded to Redfield Olympic sights
SA m1922-m2
Winchester 52D-currently wearing i Unertl 12x and reworked trigger set at 4oz
Remington 40x-US marked-reworked extra stock fitted with adjustable butthook, jewell 2oz trigger, Weaver T-10 scope-my current 3 position rifle.
Plus plenty of civilian models of the same listed. Including Remington 37, Win 52, A,B,C models,and a couple 40x with standard and heavy barrels.

You have a nice NO.9 there.
There never was a large amount of them and they are a treasured Lee Enfield collectors piece.
I sold my spare one several months ago and it lasted all of about 3 minutes on a collectors board.

Pulled it out for pics and decided to look up a little more info on the 13,000 markings, apparently this stamp means it was sold “sold out of service”
IMG_6502.jpeg

Which I assume means they sold to non military use, as in commercial sales, well the giant N.Z. Means New Zealand so I guess this was made in 1910 and sold to New Zealand. Oh and it has its correct mag I guess
IMG_6501.jpeg

Ask Chad at LRI if he has a take off Remington bolt handle and solder on the real deal.

Pardon the digression, as this rifle is not a former military 22LR trainer rifle, but at least its a vintage 22 target rifle of the type that might have been used by US military small-bore rifle teams back in the day. The Model 37s were likely too expensive to justify as trainers. The Remington 513-Ts were used instead. Anyhow, my latest purchase was this unmodified Remington Model 37 Rangemaster. Probably made in 1952 based on 10k serial number. (These were made from 1937 until 1954 or 55, with a hiatus during WWII. I understand only 12,200 were made). It's 12 pounds of old school craftsmanship.

M37_rt_profile_v2.jpg

M37__RangeMaster_marking_top_v2.jpg

M37_ad_1954-5.jpg

....so I need to find an affordable 5-rd magazine for it. (It only came with the single shot adapter). I'll put a vintage scope on it eventually.

Last edited:
Enfield No.9 .22LR. They were converted by Parker Hale in the 1950s and 60s for training and cadet use.
No.4 rifles in .303 had the barrels sleeved to .22LR, a new rimfire bolt fitted and a new .22LR rear sight.

The magazine body is empty and just catches the fired cases now.

Ignition is fairly positive. Not many misfires with these rifles.

V7WUTPx.jpg

DRqYiJt.jpg

JF4D0Jb.jpg

JGDx1SB.jpg
I used one of those when in cadet forces in New Zealand. They sold them off (after a legal fight to stop them being destroyed) and are now selling fir around the $2,000 mark when you see them.

Side note, a machinist friend of mine is looking at making a magazine fed one using the original 303 magazine case with new working parts in it.

Reactions: Sniff
I used one of those when in cadet forces in New Zealand. They sold them off (after a legal fight to stop them being destroyed) and are now selling fir around the $2,000 mark when you see them.

Side note, a machinist friend of mine is looking at making a magazine fed one using the original 303 magazine case with new working parts in it.
I went to the auction at Turners Auctions in Lower Hutt. There was a viewing the day before, so I went and looked at all of them and gave each one my own 'grading' of condition.

The next day at the auction, I was able to buy both a No.8 and a No.9 that were in the top of my own grading (some were pretty rough).

There were No.4 .303 Drill Purpose rifles and No.4 stocks and woodwork for sale too.

Before the auction happened, when he found out the .22s were being disposed of, the president of the Royal New Zealand Navy Pistol Club wrote to Defence Disposals and the club was given either four, or six, No.8 rifles for club use.

You guys have seen my USMC Remington 40X with USMC Property Lyman Super Targetspot scope, but yu haven't seen this new USMC 40X yet! I'll have to get some good photos taken, but here's what it looks like. I purchased it last month from the CMP, because it looked interesting. I noticed that the rifle had the iron sights and sight bases removed, and it had a Redfield 700SA scope base and Redfield medium height scope rings installed. I have no idea if the USMC shooting team used Redfield scopes and scope bases/rings, but I remembered that the USMC Scout Sniper schools used to use .22LR rifles for training and stuff like "doll house shoots." It got me thinking that this rifle could have possibly been used at one of the USMC Scout Sniper schools instead to the being with the USMC shooting team!

I have no idea if this is the case, but the Redfield scope base and rings are definitely different. All the rest of these USMC 40X rifles I've ever seen had the iron sight bases and Unertl/Lyman scope bases installed. Even though I have no idea if this is correct, I decided that this rifle might be pretty awesome with an original USMC M40 Redfield greenie mounted in the Redfield 700SA scope base/rings! It fit perfectly, I didn't need to adjust the base or rings, the scope just dropped in. What do you guys think of this one? Here it is with my other USMC Remington 40X:

1000010213.jpg

1000010214.jpg

1000010215.jpg