• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Millet 4-16x50 Tactical

baddeerhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2011
Omaha, NE
I was hoping someone with some experience with Millet scopes could give me some insight on them. A few different web sites have good review's on them and they've all been positive. Millet offers there scopes at a "affordable" price and they seem to have a good level of quality to go along with that. I've never looked through or used one but I'm in the market for a $300-$500 scope and it appears to fit my needs. The scope will be what I would consider to be an "all around gun." From hunting whitetail & mule deer to shooting paper and steel on the weekends. The exact scope I'm looking at is the Millet 4-16x50 Tactical .

Re: Millet 4-16x50 Tactical

I've also looked at the SS's.
What can you "write home about" on the SS? I'm not knocking them at all, from what I've read here on SH, everyone seems to like them. Can you give a comparison between the two scopes with actual evidence, not just opinion?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baddeerhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've also looked at the SS's.
What can you "write home about" on the SS? I'm not knocking them at all, from what I've read here on SH, everyone seems to like them. Can you give a comparison between the two scopes with actual evidence, not just opinion? </div></div>

Well the SS is clearer, tracks WAY better, is lighter, alot more compact (if that matter to you), is FFP, and can handle recoil like a champ. You get what you pay for, especially with optics.

Also some things to note about the Millet if you havn't already is its made in China, and has mixed turrets. The SS's are matching mil/mil as opposed to the Millets moa/mil, and the SS is made in Japan if Im not mistaken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also some things to note about the Millet if you havn't already is its made in China, and has mixed turrets. The SS's are matching mil/mil as opposed to the Millets moa/mil, and the SS is made in Japan if Im not mistaken. </div></div>

Millet give you the option of mil/mil. I can't find if the model I'm looking at is FFP or not. I thought it was but I can't find anything to back it up.

Well get what you can afford, but I have always found that it is best to get the best optic you can afford, or else you will loose money later trying to resell the old scope, or waste your money all together when the scope takes a dive on you. You might also check out the Vortex Viper PST's or the Sightron S3's, more money, but well worth it IMO.

You might also try and find a used Bushnell 4200 3-12 also, very good scopes for the money, they pop up once in a while here in the used section.

I have one of the previous incarnations of that scope sitting in my 10FP. Compared to the other optics I have used (Leupold Mk4, Super Sniper and IOR) I would rank it last in every category but price. The glass is good for daylight use, but Get into cloudy days or low light situations and it starts to get dark. My turrets are 1/8moa with no turn indicators, but they have tracked true at the ranges I tested at (100 and 200 yds). The lack of turn indicators on 1/8moa turrets is PITA. I basically use it as a slap it on a rifle till I can get a permanent scope mounted picked out & paid for. On a square range used to shoot paper it has done it's job and I don't feel bad at having spent the cash. If pressed I would use it in the field so long as lives were not on the line.

If your budget is dead set and you must have glass now then it may work out for you. If you have some wiggle room in price and time to save there are better affordable options out there. The SS 3-9 or the PST 4-16 as already mentioned or a used scope from someplace. May want to check SWFA's sample list to see if you get lucky.

I had one and returned it. 2 problems:

1. If you look at the image below, you will see that each rotation of the elevation knob is 5.5 mils. A clumsy number to work with.

f71dbb8e.jpg

The one I got also had a mil turret but MOA clicks. So it was useless. I returned it and got a Bushnell.

That's not something I want to bother with, thanks David. The Viper PST sounds better and better.....

I have a model BK81001(1/8MOA) and it's barely acceptable at 16x. Eye position is critical. I had two BK81008(0.1mil) and sent them both back. They were useless at 16x as eye position was too critical. The image was very milky. There had been a manufacturing change between the two versions, both TRS-1. The Bushnell 3200 series is much better but not mil/mil as I wanted. I would avoid any Millet models in the future.

If the model you are looking at is the Millett TRS-1, I have one and have been very happy with it. Bought it a little over a year ago and paid just under $300. It sat on a .300 RSAUM for about 100 rds, then moved to my .308 where it has been for over 1000, with no issues. Glass is clear enough to see .30 cal hits at 300yds on 16x, I've never had any repeatability issues, and the clicks are pretty good for a scope in that price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the model you are looking at is the Millett TRS-1, I have one and have been very happy with it. Bought it a little over a year ago and paid just under $300. It sat on a .300 RSAUM for about 100 rds, then moved to my .308 where it has been for over 1000, with no issues. Glass is clear enough to see .30 cal hits at 300yds on 16x, I've never had any repeatability issues, and the clicks are pretty good for a scope in that price range.
</div></div>

Your correct, I'm looking at the TRS-1. I can't find any information if this is an FFP or SFP. Is your scope MIL/MIL?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might also try and find a used Bushnell 4200 3-12 also, very good scopes for the money, they pop up once in a while here in the used section. </div></div>

+1,The Bushnell is a step or 2 up in quality over the Millet and it's FFP.

The Millet scopes are SFP. The BK81001 is MOA/mil and the BK81008 is mil/mil. The later model is the one with the image problem.

I have one, it is a decent scope.
The glass on mine was very good, considering the price.
My biggest gripe with it was trying to reset the turrets to zero, you just can't do it on mine, I loosen the screw as far as it will go, pull up and it still turns the adjustment.
Other than that, I am mostly pleased with it, it seems to track well etc...

I have since moved ot to FFP scopes, my first one was a 4-14 falcon menace. With the well known heavy grease in the turret problem, which is resolved in about 2 minutes, it has been an awesome scope. While it does not have an illuminated reticle like the Millet, everything else about it is better. I used my Falcon in a basic sniper course and it worked flawlessly.