• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mini Fridge | House Fire warning.

That is "knob and tube" or "KT" wiring.
Much more common that you might think.
What's worse is the plaster walls in your pic (also known as "daub and wattle").
Those wooden slats get dry and ignite from the wiring....all of a sudden fire inside the wall.
Yep, and most those old houses had 'balloon' construction walls. No headers between the floors, so if a fire did start it acted like a chimney....and no insulation.

• Wow
Reactions: Cowpokey
We're going to end up getting almost all new furniture, any thing that isn't solid wood is getting tossed as "total" loss, including all beds...those fuckers were expensive. Living room recliner, love seat and couch they are going to take out for cleaning, they think those can be saved.

Wow, glad you and your family were not injured. It sounds like you are being well taken cared of by your insurance company.

When we recently moved I down graded my beer fridge from a commercial single door unit to a smaller compact refrigerator. I paid a stupid high price for a commercial grade counter top unit. Well over Sam's Club or Amazon prices. Partly because I'm a Beer Snob! I have some really expensive and hard to find beer and wanted even cooling from top to bottom. And partly in the hopes that a more expensive USA made unit would be safer than a China made unit.

I wonder if it’s because they are using an flammable/explosive as refrigerant (R600A)

I wonder if it’s because they are using an flammable/explosive as refrigerant (R600A)
Any thing is possible when it comes out of CHYNA. The good thing, if there is one, my daughter had one identical...so the fire inspector for USAA is going to take it back to the lab and dissect it. I told her we don't want it back, so it will be written off as a loss ($$$) and they can try to figure out what led to the fire.

I update the link in the very first post of this thread to the correct chyneeze POS.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
We continue to fight the fire even with stored ammunition popping off.

Something to think about in regards to that.
This might be a good reason not to keep rounds chambered in your house guns that are not on you or even in your vehicle if they are not the ones that you would bail out with.

Unchambered there is little danger of anyone getting hurt.
If a round was chambered and then cooked off, someone could get hurt.

Any thing is possible when it comes out of CHYNA. The good thing, if there is one, my daughter had one identical...so the fire inspector for USAA is going to take it back to the lab and dissect it. I told her we don't want it back, so it will be written off as a loss ($$$) and they can try to figure out what led to the fire.

I update the link in the very first post of this thread to the correct chyneeze POS.
It’s not just China. It’s the new EPA. All refers are switched out to the new R600 and similar going forward. No more R134A in small appliances.

• Wow
** good to hear, I am hoping for you that USAA handles large claims better than they do small ones
(I recently left USAA over not giving a shit about me or my claim and their comedy of mistakes that cost me money)

Sounds like they do from you saying that are just going to replace most things! (y)

Kimchi can’t stop staring at the door, my girls and the rest of the mongrels are a couple doors down the hall.

6403BDA9-AA3E-48F2-96C0-7379795BC578.jpeg

I had a good idea how much ammo I have, but when there’s only so much room in the wife and daughter’s safes, and it can’t be left in the house…fuck it adds up quick and heavy.

CB78C85A-2AD7-444E-8228-7B6B2E731526.jpeg

The candy box is full of ammo too.

Reactions: UKDslayer
Fresh beer I hope?

Get that ammo and while you're at it get Kimchi a decent treat. He's probably more stressed than you over the whole ordeal. ;)

..... I was a little nervous when they started pulling hose, and filled them up...they drug them in the house, but didn't use them....

First and foremost, I am so happy to hear no one was injured! A good friend of mine has pretty severe burns from a house fire as a boy. The best way to squelch your nerves after seeing the fire engine pull up in your yard and walk into your house with a charged hose is by prevention. Have a fire extinguisher in every congregating area of your house(the kitchen, near bedrooms & garage(laundry optional)) then learn & rehearse as a family, your evacuation routes in your home. Know two ways out of every room, windows included(Double story homes can be tricky with escape routes, collapsable escape ladders are required.) For extra safe keeping, ALWAYS close BEFORE you DOZE. Close the door to every room with a human inside it at night. Just some minor things to consider for future! You'd be surprised at the size of fire you can extinguish with a small ABC class extinguisher or the size of fire you can keep out by having your door closed.

Last edited:
We're doing ok, sucks being in a hotel...but that's pretty normal for me being TDY over the years.

I was USAF, so hotels are normal...usually. My hotel in Africa was a bug net stretched between a couple bushes and a piece of cardboard for a bed...that was a fun 30 days. Yeehaw.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
I was USAF, so hotels are normal...usually. My hotel in Africa was a bug net stretched between a couple bushes and a piece of cardboard for a bed...that was a fun 30 days. Yeehaw.

USAF? Shouldn't you be scheduling tee times at the golf course on base and ordering fillet mignon & lobster tails at the DFAC over sleeping on cardboard? :LOL: 🤜

There is light at the end of the tunnel...it could be a train coming head on though.

They are supposed to have the majority of our house finished next Tuesday, and we can start moving home next Wednesday, 28 June. They won't be done until sometime in July since the custom cabinets for the basement are still on order and won't be delivered until Mid July, then it will still take a day to install and another week to get the granite counter top done.

At least the end is in sight finally.

There is light at the end of the tunnel...it could be a train coming head on though.

They are supposed to have the majority of our house finished next Tuesday, and we can start moving home next Wednesday, 28 June. They won't be done until sometime in July since the custom cabinets for the basement are still on order and won't be delivered until Mid July, then it will still take a day to install and another week to get the granite counter top done.

At least the end is in sight finally.
Do a thorough punch list.

We moved home on July 4th, but there was still a lot of stuff to do...we just couldn't handle staying in the hotel anymore.

It's been a long time coming, but our house rebuild got FINISHED today...finally. Final inspection by the county is scheduled for Monday.

Our disaster was still pretty minor compared to what a lot of folks have gone through, but what a PITA...I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

On the plus side, you can go to Maui and tell everyone you know what it’s like…. Ya know, like Potato Joe did a couple weeks ago. :cautious:

Seriously though, glad everyone’s ok, and glad to hear USAA is takin’ good care of you. I’ve not been super pleased with their banking for a long time now, or even their insurance pricing lately, but they’ve always been there for is we we really needed ‘em.

And don’t leg any of these legs, jarheads, and squids give you shit for being AF! I always tell my Marine bestie and Uncle, plus all the rest of ‘em “Don’t blame me for your poor life choices!”

fd03d02f3b460ed434358ca9b92e3bd3.jpg