• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mini Recce Barrel Choice

zekers7

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2017
Putting together a mini recce / general-purpose rifle with a Nx8 up top. Trying to decide between 3 barrels:

1. Centrion Arms recce cut down to 12.5. This is a PIG but shoots lights out. Downside is the weight - about 2lb (31.5 oz)

2. Criterion 12.5" carbine length ultralight 1.4lb (22.4oz)

3. Triarc 12.5" Tract 2.0 midlength. (23.3oz)

Of those I'd go Triarc based on weight, reputation and mid gas.
Have you looked at the Rainier mountain mod 2 barrels?

I have several 12.5 barrels, mid and carbine gas. I prefer the carbine gas. Do you plan on using a can? Are you set on only those three brands?

Open to other ideas. Will be running a can 50% of the time. Focus is on accuracy

probably 75gr hornady most of the time. I dont want it to be a full bench gun

Open to other ideas. Will be running a can 50% of the time. Focus is on accuracy
I am a huge fan of the BA Hanson profile for using a can. I have several of these barrels and the best I have done is 19 of 20 hits on a Steel IPSC silhouette target at 620 yards with a NF NX8 1-8 and a AAC Mini4 can.

12.3" 5.56 BA HANSON

The best 12.5 I have ever used is the Noveske SS Crusader barrel. I have had two and both are lights out good, sub .5 MOA barrels as long as I did my part.

12.5 Noveske Crusader

Reactions: Chicory01
If you can wait and don’t mind spending the money. Contact Craddock Precision and they will make you whatever you want, using a Bartlein or Criterion blank. I have a 12.5” mid length gas Bartlein barrel from them that shoots so smooth and accurately.

or if you can snag a triarc barrel that would do really well.

Reactions: Odysseus1911
I am a huge fan of the BA Hanson profile for using a can. I have several of these barrels and the best I have done is 19 of 20 hits on a Steel IPSC silhouette target at 620 yards with a NF NX8 1-8 and a AAC Mini4 can.

12.3" 5.56 BA HANSON

The best 12.5 I have ever used is the Noveske SS Crusader barrel. I have had two and both are lights out good, sub .5 MOA barrels as long as I did my part.

12.5 Noveske Crusader
I have a BA 12.5 CL Govt profile. There’s more accurate barrels but these are available now and you can change out when your custom Bartlein, or whatever you choose, is ready. Mine loves 77 SMK and H4895 or RL15. I hit 10” steel at 575 yd w/ PA PLx 1-8 Griffin no problem. 🍻

Putting together a mini recce / general-purpose rifle with a Nx8 up top. Trying to decide between 3 barrels:

1. Centrion Arms recce cut down to 12.5. This is a PIG but shoots lights out. Downside is the weight - about 2lb (31.5 oz)

2. Criterion 12.5" carbine length ultralight 1.4lb (22.4oz)

3. Triarc 12.5" Tract 2.0 midlength. (23.3oz)
Get the centurion recce and have it dimpled to reduce weight. I have been thinking of having WOA make something similar.

Big fan of my Triarc 12.5. Shoots well and very smooth when combined with a Vltor A5 buffer system.

Can’t recommend the combo high enough. First suppressor shots should come next week, so hopefully it handles the can well.

Ballistic Advantage makes some good ones as well. I recently purchased a 13.7" carbine for a build, planning on another with a 13.9" mid-length.

• Haha
Reactions: S197
Big fan of my Triarc 12.5. Shoots well and very smooth when combined with a Vltor A5 buffer system.

Can’t recommend the combo high enough. First suppressor shots should come next week, so hopefully it handles the can well.
What kind of accuracy are you seeing out of it?

Best I’ve been able to get is .67” I believe, shot with a PST2 3-15 at 100y. Mostly do reduced targets at 50y due to range limitations. 1 hole shooter there, duh. I am absolutely the limiting factor here.

I don’t shoot a ton of groups with it, mostly blaster stuff (random 55gr FMJ) with the occasional precision SH dot drills (77gr IMI).

Update on the Triarc 12.5” with an OSS Helix 762 QD suppressor. Minimal, .1-.3 Mil shift (if that), in zero shift. Smoothed up an already smooth rifle. Had zero issues with the few rounds shot today in reliability as nothing was adjusted, just mounted suppressor and shot.

Same story with my Rothco 10.5” on my Mk18ish.