• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Minimum barrel profile for accurate .338RUM ?

wadcutter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
NSW Australia
www.austargets.com
I am looking to get built a .338 RUM with a quality custom 26" to 27" length barrel of minimum weight.
What would you advise with regard to profile and fluting.
I would prefer to not have fluting but if it is important then I would go with it.
My aim is minimum weight while maintaining 3 shot, 3/4 MOA or better accuracy with either the 300 grain SMK or 250 grain Hornady BTHP Match projectile.

Re: Minimum barrel profile for accurate .338RUM ?

Fluted sendero, or M24. Maybe even fluted medium palma?

Get a premium barrel and skip the flutes unless you like how they look. A light varmint contour will do the job, just make sure you get a good barrel. You will soon forget the extra $150 bucks you spent on it, you'll never forget how you SHOULD have spent the extra $150 bucks on it.

I've got a Mark-V , 340 Weatherby wearing a #3 Kreiger that will shoot 3/4 moa 3 shot group as fast as you can get it back under control and on target (maybe 10-15 sec) and it will shot consistant 1/2 moa groups out to 300yds with slow rate of fire

thats shooting a 250gr Partition to near 2900fps from a 26" barrel with no brake , so recoil is certainly a factor their

i think the barrel quality makes a bigger differance than the conture especaily for only 3 shot groups

I cut weight on this gun by using Tally unit mounts ring/base and a McMillan Edge fill stock

I have an Edge being build on a Rem Varmint contour. Most that I talked to about what contour to use said the Rem Varmint was a good choice between be heavy enough to control recoil, but still being able to carry it around.

I would go with a Rem Sendero or med palma contour,but make the muzzle diameter .750. Will save you at least 1/2# and still be extremely accurate.

I've done barrels in a #1 contour in 6.5mm that would shoot sub 1/2moa, I would say a good magnum contour and you should be fine.