• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Minimum loads seem to have a lot of empty space, safety/accuracy concerns?

HT0317

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2012
29 Palms CA
I just finished up my first batch of 300 win mag. I'm pushing 230 gr bergers with H4831SC. I started at the minimum and went up in .5 gr increments for 5 separate loads. I plan to use these for my first experimental range day and load some of the hotter ones later and compare groups. The loaded rounds seem to have quite a bit of empty room in them, I shoot one side by side with LC118LR and mine sound quite a bit louder. I'm aware this is not ideal for consistency, and consistency is accuracy, but is there a safety concern if I never loaded bellow the minimum? I'm assuming that the loads near the top-end of the load data will have less room. Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

The heavy pills are what makes the charge seem so low. Looking at the Hodgdon data, there is only a 6 grain window on that load, so I would suspect you would not notice a whole lot of difference in the amount of unfilled case even at the hottest loads.