• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Minox 20-60x80 MD 80 Z?? Anybody use

Zackbarr

Minuteman
Mar 25, 2017
hey guys, looking into a spotter. Have heard good things about Minox glass and noticed they have a spotter. Has the MR2S reticle. Any info or opinions would be awesome. Thanks

The model with reticle is md 80 zr. I would like to buy the model with reticle but I have not yet seen a real world review....

hey guys, looking into a spotter. Have heard good things about Minox glass and noticed they have a spotter. Has the MR2S reticle. Any info or opinions would be awesome. Thanks

Not all Minox glass is created equal. Just like most optics manufacturer's they have different grades or lines of products which have different levels of glass quality. Their top quality glass comes with their ZP5 line of scopes which have the influence of the old Optronika group on them, I am not certain about their other lines of optics; however, I have a set of BL 10x44 HD binos that I've been really impressed with for the price.

Reactions: Emouse
Not all Minox glass is created equal. Just like most optics manufacturer's they have different grades or lines of products which have different levels of glass quality. Their top quality glass comes with their ZP5 line of scopes which have the influence of the old Optronika group on them, I am not certain about their other lines of optics; however, I have a set of BL 10x44 HD binos that I've been really impressed with for the price.

Hey WJM, not to detail the thread but I'm looking at their new 8x56 HD binos, is that glass similar to the ZP5 glass do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey WJM, not to detail the thread but I'm looking at their new 8x56 HD binos, is that glass similar to the ZP5 glass do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey noob, I don't think the OP would mind, this is a Minox thread after all :) I would not equate the BL HD glass to that of the ZP5, those would undoubtedly be Minox's APO HG line of binoculars since the ZP5 apparently also incorporates an apochromatic element in its optical formula. Probably the best binocular that I could compare to the BL HD series would be somewhere between the Vortex Viper HD and Razor HD series binos, hopefully that will give you an idea. I got mine from CameraLand who had an insane sale going on at the time and felt I couldn't pass them up. My "dream" bino is the Leica Geovid HD-B 3000 10x42 but haven't been able to justify that yet as the Minox with my Sig Kilo has worked well so far...

Attachments

• 52710320-AE48-458C-8416-B3939CDD6374.png
    52710320-AE48-458C-8416-B3939CDD6374.png
    943.9 KB · Views: 86
Yes both of my spotting scopes have reticle.
I guess I will stick to that.

Geared head is best suitable to spotting with reticles when you want to set the spotter's reticle to an exact location and call a precise quick correction..

The gimbal is used more on long lens to smooth out the movement. This would be key in wildlife photography or bird watching.

2 complete opposite needs.

Personally I don’t mind either one for spotting. I threw my buddies mk4 on my gimble head and I didn’t mind it but a quality geared head is optimal.

Look what I found
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Military-Man...ovable-Spikes-Black-NEW/162595198020?NAV=HOME

Will this head fit on a Manfrooto tripod?
If so it looks like a good choice for both bench and field.

Dude! I was a skeptic at first until I just mounted this baby on the tripod. Using this gear head is like optical mechanical sex. So smooth, and it's built like a brick shit house. Looking forward to getting my new PIG tripod tomorrow. I'll take the spotter out tomorrow night when it's on a heavy duty tripod.

Edit: thank you for the eBay link, these are a steal!

IMG_3192.JPG

Reactions: Diver160651
I once you set your spotter at the exact wind call your shooter is using... and call a correction.. thus using the gears to a blazingly fast new precision hold.. you look like a pro... and the speed gives your shooter a better chance to squeeze in the same wind.

Dude! I was a skeptic at first until I just mounted this baby on the tripod. Using this gear head is like optical mechanical sex. So smooth, and it's built like a brick shit house. Looking forward to getting my new PIG tripod tomorrow. I'll take the spotter out tomorrow night when it's on a heavy duty tripod.

Edit: thank you for the eBay link, these are a steal!
Here is mine on a Manfrotto 055Xpro3.
It is solid but I do not like the way the head is mounted on it. It uses a screw to push up from below to tighten the head. I like the way the Ebay military short tripod is holding the head.

It actually slipped once when I was panning the head right, hence unscrewed the head. I retightened the push screw and it did not happen again.

If it happens again I would swith the tripod. Let me know how is PIG.

P.S. nice Swaro

7F7793D8-AF16-41D2-BB48-B71ECEB7B871.jpeg

Next week I get the Minox MD 80 ZR. Hopefully it's a good product, I can't wait to try it out...

Here is mine on a Manfrotto 055Xpro3.
It is solid but I do not like the way the head is mounted on it. It uses a screw to push up from below to tighten the head. I like the way the Ebay military short tripod is holding the head.

It actually slipped once when I was panning the head right, hence unscrewed the head. I retightened the push screw and it did not happen again.

If it happens again I would swith the tripod. Let me know how is PIG.

P.S. nice Swaro

View attachment 6886378

Thanks, the Swaro is a pleasure to use. The PIG is tight as hell. The height it's at in the pic will support my weight (210lbs), I'm sure it voids warranty but what the hell someone had to try it. Beyond that I took it out in the field yesterday, impressive forsure. I've never been able to use the Swaro on 60x well due to a light tripod, now I can leave it on 60x and pan with the gear knobs. Backed off to 30x it's money for quickly finding targets. The tripod and head really makes the spotter function well. Best part the PIG won't break the bank. It is a bit heavy if that matters. For me it doesn't, I hang a weight from it anyhow.

Attachments

• IMG_3195.JPG
    IMG_3195.JPG
    397.9 KB · Views: 50
Finally arrived the Minox MD 80 ZR.... first very good impression....

Attachments

• IMG-20180327-WA0029.jpeg
    IMG-20180327-WA0029.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 20180328_130458.jpg
    20180328_130458.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: snarkscarbine
Little bit of CA at the far right edge window. Looks a little blurry at the edges, was the focus where it needed to be?

The focus is in the center of reticle, the pictures was by galaxy s7 without support, only on hand....