• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Minox ZP8 1-8 vs Nightforce ATACR 1-8

freedom71

Lawprof
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
Raleigh NC
Trying to decide between the Minox ZP8 1-8 or the Nightforce ATACR 1-8 for my PWS Mk 114 Alpha 5.56 rifle with 14.5" barrel. I was able to get a brand new Minox ZP8 with the 10+ reticle for around $2300 plus tax. I'm wondering whether to keep it or replace it with the Nightforce.

The Minox glass is superb (I have the ZP5 on my 24" bolt rifle) and I love the 10+ reticle at 8x. But the ZP8 is 3.5 oz heavier and about an inch longer than the ATACR 1-8. My main concern on the Minox is the eye relief. At 1x, the eye relief on the ZP8 is not as good as on the Kahles 16i on my SBR. At 8x, the ZP8 is somewhat more difficult to get behind, but the FOV is excellent.

I have not had the opportunity to try out the ATACR 1-8. It has a narrower FOV at both 1x and 8x. It's reticle seems a little busier to me, but I like the circle/dot on the Kahles at 1x and the ATACR is somewhat similar.

Any benefit to the ATACR over the ZP8 that would justify paying $450 more?

Last edited:
The only real difference between the two would be illumination and reticle really. Since you’ve got the better reticle and as long as you’re happy with the illumination then I’d say you’re wasting your time.

I've owned both, and compared directly side by side. My opinion: The Minox ZP8 is the better optic. If Minox sticks a little more illum in it it'd be near perfect. The ATACR F1, I could not under any circumstance, make the diopter work at both 1x and 8x. No amount of fiddling across several days. The fixed 175y parallax on the ATACR lead to blurry images at 600y or 20ft, you had to pick. Limit of the design. It's a shame because the ATACR glass is very good, on par with the Minox. The reticle is just as people say it is.

The Minox has a dual parallax feature. 50m @ 1-2.5x, 200m @ 2.5-8x. It's 1st AND 2nd focal plane for the dot/reticle. It's a shitload of technology in a sleeper scope. I don't miss my ATACR.

The ATACR looks cooler, I'll give it that.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper