• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Misfire

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
Probably a stupid question - but what exactly happens when a 22 round is struck, but doesn't fire? And how does this prevent one from attempting to retry using that round?

On lower quality ammo it happens because the priming compound isn't at the right spot (where your fp hits) in siginificant quantities, so no primer pop so no powder ignition. Or, it is caused by not enough of a whack from the fp (damaged chamber end, etc).

You can always rotate the round some so the fp hits in a new spot and it will probably go off...

With cheaper bulk pack 22lr, over the years I have experienced misfires, hangfires, and squib loads. A misfire may occur from a poor or misplaced primer, or your firearm may of had a light primer strike. You can certainly try that round again and see if it works.

Good sense dictates the round be disposed of once there is a misfire. We are talking about $.30 for premium ammo per round as compared to a new barrel if the actual bullet gets stuck somewhere and you then fire a good one, OR worse, you do yourself some, or a lot of, eye damage.

If you are shooting Remington Thunderbolts or Winchester poop, don't even give it a second thought. Dispose of it.

Good sense dictates the round be disposed of once there is a misfire. We are talking about $.30 for premium ammo per round as compared to a new barrel if the actual bullet gets stuck somewhere and you then fire a good one, OR worse, you do yourself some, or a lot of, eye damage.

If you are shooting Remington Thunderbolts or Winchester poop, don't even give it a second thought. Dispose of it.

Yes but dispose of it HOW?
The thing that torques me is how much live ammo of all sorts I constantly find at the range on the ground or in the brass can. Rimfire and centerfire!
Throw this stuff in the trash or on the ground and it can end up hurting someone else.
My squibs get refired until they go off or projo gets pulled and powder dumped.
Cases come home and put into a kill can full of penetrant then finally to the trash.

Yes but dispose of it HOW?
The thing that torques me is how much live ammo of all sorts I constantly find at the range on the ground or in the brass can. Rimfire and centerfire!
Throw this stuff in the trash or on the ground and it can end up hurting someone else.
My squibs get refired until they go off or projo gets pulled and powder dumped.
Cases come home and put into a kill can full of penetrant then finally to the trash.

Dude you are way too worked up over a live round of ammu....
Oh...you are from California...never mind.

A live round is not a sweaty stick of old dynamite...christ!

Throw it in the woods, in the trash, in the toilet, it isn't DANGEROUS. When it is loaded in a chamber where it can build pressure, then it is dangerous. If you give me some diatribe about rounds cooking off in a fire I will give you a virtual bitch slap.

Dude you are way too worked up over a live round of ammu....
Oh...you are from California...never mind.

A live round is not a sweaty stick of old dynamite...christ!

Throw it in the woods, in the trash, in the toilet, it isn't DANGEROUS. When it is loaded in a chamber where it can build pressure, then it is dangerous. If you give me some diatribe about rounds cooking off in a fire I will give you a virtual bitch slap.

Only one worked up is you BUBBA!

Your range should have a disposal bucket clearly marked for live rounds.

If you are otherwise concerned, put it somewhere, take it home, put the case or the bullet gently into a vise and twist until separated. The do whatever you desire with each part. If shooting Winchester or Remington bulk, you could probably skip the vise step and just twist it off with your fingers. They are THAT loose to start with.

i shoot at the ranch and when i have one that wont fire, it gets tossed in the creek or brush. Dry, wet, muddy, whatever. Doesnt matter. The black mud of the earth works its magic and its done with.

like chiken said, unchambered ammo is nothing to be afraid of.