• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Missing any viable options in $1000ish range?

sam4886

Stunt Cock
Minuteman
May 15, 2019
Eastern WA
Currently shopping to upgrade my viper HST to something newer and in the 800-1200 range. Gotta be mil/mil, ffp, tree reticle. I've gone through most of the usual recommendations, and I know this is asked all the time, but I'm just trying to make sure I've looked at all the options. From my understanding, all these scopes have very comparable glass so you're basically choosing a reticle and features you want.

I am a FF/EMT so any applicable rebates would also be considered. Not opposed to buying used either.

Looked at the Midas TAC 5-25, optika 6 5-30, MPO 5-25, and ETR 4.5-30. The PST 2 is also a consideration, but with the 30mm tube is pretty low on the list.

Reactions: 338dude
I love my MPO. Koshkin just recently did a video talking about his top choices in different price ranges and the 3-18 MPO was the best for that magnification under or around $1k. My experience is only with the 5-25 though.... I like the optika 6 a lot but was concerned with the rubber on the knobs not holding up. I've seen at least one person who experienced this.

I love my MPO. Koshkin just recently did a video talking about his top choices in different price ranges and the 3-18 MPO was the best for that magnification under or around $1k. My experience is only with the 5-25 though.... I like the optika 6 a lot but was concerned with the rubber on the knobs not holding up. I've seen at least one person who experienced this.

How much total travel does the 5-25 MPO have? I saw 10 mil/rotation but didn't see a total travel spec anywhere I looked.

Actual internal travel is ~24 mils, but the zero stop pin only allows you to go 2 rotations (minus the diameter of the pin so actually 19.7ish) I've been strongly considering taking about .015 off of that pin so it clears the stop inside the cap on the second rotation. I guess it doesn't matter because most people come up at least 5 mils from the very bottom of the elevation adjustment just to get a 100yd zero.
I still love the scope though. The reticle is excellent when you are actually shooting

Last edited:
They are little cheaper, but still very viable designs: Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 and SwampFox Warhawk 5-25x56.

Generally, under $1k, my preferred choice is Optika6 5-30x56 (I have not tested the 5-25x56 MPO, so I can not really talk about that one).

ILya

Reactions: wb00757
Thanks for checking in ILya, if I were to stretch the budget a bit, what do you think of the Ares ETR 4.5-30 compared to optika6? Looks like the Ares has more adjustment and I like that the windage locks, not the elevation.

Bushnell DMR2 should definitely be under consideration. Are you MIL, LE, or any variety of medical/first responder by chance?

I am. I'm waiting on expertvoice to verify me now. I've ordered a few things through govx, but they don't seem to have any better prices than the random sales you find anywhere else.

I still need to get straightened out with who goes through expert voice and who keeps their discounts in-house.

I have a HS-T, upgraded to a Cronus.
Far nicer scope!!!!
You can find them used for 900-1200 and they’re worth every penny.

Reactions: Jscb1b
Thanks for checking in ILya, if I were to stretch the budget a bit, what do you think of the Ares ETR 4.5-30 compared to optika6? Looks like the Ares has more adjustment and I like that the windage locks, not the elevation.

They are pretty comparable optically. I like the turrets on the Area ETR more, but the reticle there is thinner than I like.

ILya

The rubber on my parallax is spinning just gotta grip it harder but still should be built better not quite sure how to glue it back yet....love my Optika6 though

Reactions: wb00757
Check around in the PX for a used cronus BTR. If your quick you can find them from $1100 and up. I had an Ares ETR. The only thing I did not like was the center dot.

If I could get over not likeing the G3 I'd be all over one of those. I think Bushnell is shooting themselves in the foot offering only the G3 and Horus stuff.

UHHHH GREEEEDD!!!! I would have one of their scopes right now if they offered a Vortex/Areas/Tract-like tree.

The rubber on my parallax is spinning just gotta grip it harder but still should be built better not quite sure how to glue it back yet....love my Optika6 though

Warranty it. Or can you back off the rubber from its seat and put a thin layer of superglue underneath?

Warranty it. Or can you back off the rubber from its seat and put a thin layer of superglue underneath?
Yes Sir ill give it a try wasnt sure how the super glue would react to the rubber...that stuff is harsh...also been looking for a small throw lever for it maybe....I've beat this scope to death its still holding up....

Why is a 30mm tube (PST II) low on the list? Why do you need a 34mm tube? My Nikon Black scopes all have 30mm tubes. I have purposefully tested them in sunrise and sunset environments and could see everything I needed 100%. They have "less" elevation than some 30mm competition and yet enough to get to 1200 yards on a 20 MOA base. You can get a PST II for $800 brand new with a tree reticle. The Optika6 is backordered until at least September (at least; and some vendors have waited a year for fulfillment... it's not just COVID). Once you get it, how would you warranty it? Where do you send an Optika in for warranty? How long would it take to get it back if they can't supply their US vendors... for a year? That realization made me cancel my Optika6 order.

Of those on your list, I'd find an ETR if I was buying new. Be sure to call or chat your retailers of choice to see if you can get a better price than advertised.

If you don't NEED the scope right now, I'd highly suggest waiting a few more months, why not get a Cronus? Maybe by then a good sale will happen. Right now, there's no incentive to discount these overpriced scopes thanks to our current economic condition and the run up to buy gun stuff.

Reactions: Blackrifle1
Yes Sir ill give it a try wasnt sure how the super glue would react to the rubber...that stuff is harsh...also been looking for a small throw lever for it maybe....I've beat this scope to death its still holding up....

Good point, didn't think of that.

They are little cheaper, but still very viable designs: Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 and SwampFox Warhawk 5-25x56.
Generally, under $1k, my preferred choice is Optika6 5-30x56 (I have not tested the 5-25x56 MPO, so I can not really talk about that one).

ILya

Ilya - do you know if Meopta plan on putting your MRAD reticle as an option in the 3-18? That would be pretty much perfect for what I want...

I sold both my Cronus BTR, also my ETR, and bought Ares BTR G2's. The downsides are the glass and the elevation travel but I love the all .2 mil tree reticle. The turrets are nice now in the G2's, which was my complaint on the G1's.

I couldn't get past the .2's mixed with .5's of the reticles in those more expensive scopes. Maybe next year there will be more "all .2 mil" reticle options??!!

ILya

HI - first post here & any advice would be great. I'm planning to get the Meopta Optika6 3-18 with the MRAD1 reticle as that ticks all my boxes.
Now I'm trying to decide between the objective lens size 50mm vs. 56mm

Based on the specs Meopta has published the key differences are:

Specification3-18x503-18x56
Exit Pupil9.5 - 2.8 mm9.5 - 3.1 mm
FoV Feet @ 100yd (3x - 18x)33.6-5.733.3-5.7
FoV Degrees6.4 - 1.1 °6.34 - 1.1 °
Twilight Factor12.2 - 3013 - 31.7

Will low light performance be that noticeable between the two?

Will I really notice a 10.7% increase in exit pupil at high magnification? What about a 1.7 increase in twilight factor?

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.

I am. I'm waiting on expertvoice to verify me now. I've ordered a few things through govx, but they don't seem to have any better prices than the random sales you find anywhere else.

I still need to get straightened out with who goes through expert voice and who keeps their discounts in-house.

I missed this since you didn't reply to my post. Bushnell still has a presence on ExpertVoice, but they're moving their MIL and LE discount programs in house. Availability is way better and no extra EV fees and such to deal with. Signing up for the direct discount will make a significant difference in what kind of optic you can afford, assuming you haven't already ordered something.