• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mission Critical PRST CF Tripod?

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    Anyone used these? Google isn't turning up anything and i can't seem to find a review. I thought Shadowtech was developing a CF tripod according to a video a year ago but can't find that one. Turns out that they're one in the same but there isn't a retailer in the US anymore?

This is the tripod I’ve been using. It’s solid. A bit heavier than RRS, PVA or the Two Vets. It doesn’t have the ability for some of the awesome stuff that those others have, but it is the easiest to fix in the field. You just need the right Allen wrench, which in amongst the other Allens I carry it’s there.

I’ve put a a home made table on it with my Comanche deluxe and it is a awesome. I’ll also run a reaper on it, mainly with a spotter.

All in all I prefer it because of the ability to easily fix it. I’ve seen other tripods legs pop out in the field and they are humped where as this one, you grab an Allen and away you go.

Attachments

• E28FF9CC-3F98-4659-B98C-B097FD50476E.jpeg
      E28FF9CC-3F98-4659-B98C-B097FD50476E.jpeg
      492.8 KB · Views: 160
    Last edited:

A video of me getting challenged by a customer. I was using a homemade table top mounted on my PRST and a Comanche deluxe shooting a 10” plate at 730 yards. The first round was completely this guy breaking the shot improperly, pardon the poor language. But the second round was good.

I took mine to the field for the first time this weekend. Nothing to compare it too since it is my first tripod, but it seemed easy to setup, and was plenty light. Got mine from Nordic Marksman, had it in under a week and right at $400 USD.

Reactions: 5RWill
    I took mine to the field for the first time this weekend. Nothing to compare it too since it is my first tripod, but it seemed easy to setup, and was plenty light. Got mine from Nordic Marksman, had it in under a week and right at $400 USD.
    Are you located in the US they ship here?

I love mine and actually just bought another used off the classifieds that Ill rattle can to hunt with. I run it direct with a hog saddle. Ive used it with a sunwayfoto fb-52 ball head as well which I thought was a great set up but in the end liked hog saddle directly slightly more for my applications. It folds up small and is easy to carry. love the snap lock vs twist. Its not as good as RRS tripods obviously but solid enough

I love mine and actually just bought another used off the classifieds that Ill rattle can to hunt with. I run it direct with a hog saddle. Ive used it with a sunwayfoto fb-52 ball head as well which I thought was a great set up but in the end liked hog saddle directly slightly more for my applications. It folds up small and is easy to carry. love the snap lock vs twist. Its not as good as RRS tripods obviously but solid enough

So there is no need to run the ball head and saddle? I was thinking was going ARCA loc for my PRS2 and would use the Hog saddle for my rifles that aren't ARCA compatible.

I looked at RRS and i'm sure they're awesome but the price is way out of my range at the moment. Maybe after dental school, even then $1400 is a lot for just a tripod carbon or no carbon.

Spoke with hog saddle about the PRST tripods a few months ago...

8-21-18
    ME - "I read on the hide that HS stopped selling the PRST tripods because of some issues. Is that true or do you plan on offering it again. Thanks in advance!"

Hog Saddle - "We plan to have a carbon fiber tripod available in the next few months. We don't anticipate carrying the PRST tripod again. The last few batches were terribly out of spec and had to be returned to Norway."

Well damn it's almost christmas what are they waiting on.

IDK maybe ill message Josh @ hog saddle and see if there's an update. Otherwise, I might order a PRST... Just kinda nervous about getting one that's "terribly out of spec" especially since any warranty work would be from Norway

IDK maybe ill message Josh @ hog saddle and see if there's an update. Otherwise, I might order a PRST... Just kinda nervous about getting one that's "terribly out of spec" especially since any warranty work would be from Norway

Nothing wrong with mine. :unsure:

When those tripods 1st were released through Hog Saddle they were great but he brought them up a lot to have to ramp up manufacturing.
    He started finding troubles later and didn't want them out there. Not long after I heard that I started having trouble with mine. I contacted them and they swapped me out to another Tripod (their Pig 0311) and it is a bit heavier but rock solid and still very versatile. It feels like it will handle most anything. Hog Saddle has been a jam up company to deal with and a GREAT bunch of guys on every occasion I've had with them!

Reactions: 5RWill and derk
    So there is no need to run the ball head and saddle? I was thinking was going ARCA loc for my PRS2 and would use the Hog saddle for my rifles that aren't ARCA compatible.

I looked at RRS and i'm sure they're awesome but the price is way out of my range at the moment. Maybe after dental school, even then $1400 is a lot for just a tripod carbon or no carbon.

No you can run the saddle directly. Shadowtech has a bunch of pics of a similar setup on the page for their pig tripod. You can adjust angle by loosening saddle, tilting rifle and then locking saddle again. Ball head does give you more adjustment if you shoot at extreme angles. The ballhead with saddle is also slightly less stable although not unmanageable with practice. Also a bit more bulky to carry.
    A leveling base with arca attachment directly to your stock would be the most solid setup imo.

Reactions: RobertB
    When those tripods 1st were released through Hog Saddle they were great but he brought them up a lot to have to ramp up manufacturing.
    He started finding troubles later and didn't want them out there. Not long after I heard that I started having trouble with mine. I contacted them and they swapped me out to another Tripod (their Pig 0311) and it is a bit heavier but rock solid and still very versatile. It feels like it will handle most anything. Hog Saddle has been a jam up company to deal with and a GREAT bunch of guys on every occasion I've had with them!

That makes a ton of sense... i'm gonna hold out for their CF version. I have a feeling the QC rejects Hog saddle sent back to Mission Critical are what is currently up for sale.

I use one, have had it for the last 6 months or so. Very nice tripod. Packs down small, flap locks are good - positive grip. The green paint is good, I can painted the rest ofthe black latches.

Overall, very happy with it.

Use a sunwayfoto levelling head and a hog saddle.

Interested to know what troubles you were having and what exactly was out of spec that Josh found? Any other details you can provide? Thanks

Is the PRST and PIG 0311 made by SLIK or by the same outfit. I recall looking at the PIG 0311 a few years back and the tripod was stamped "SLIK"? I use SLIK tripods because they are light, economical, and meet my needs. I personally rather carry a $80.00 2.5-4.5 lb SLIK tripod for 10 miles on a day hunt versus my 10 pound Manfrotto. I certainly can't afford a $1,500 4.5-5 lb RRS tripod. But then again, I am a poor man by many standards.

Is the PRST and PIG 0311 made by SLIK or by the same outfit. I recall looking at the PIG 0311 a few years back and the tripod was stamped "SLIK"? I use SLIK tripods because they are light, economical, and meet my needs. I personally rather carry a $80.00 2.5-4.5 lb SLIK tripod for 10 miles on a day hunt versus my 10 pound Manfrotto. I certainly can't afford a $1,500 4.5-5 lb RRS tripod. But then again, I am a poor man by many standards.

PRST is made in Norway or somewhere outside the US. That being said I bit the bullet and ordered a P.R.S.T tripod and Hog Saddle from Nordic Marksman on Black Friday. Found out after it shipped, apparently, Canada Post has been on strike for the past month and I'm probably not going to see it before the new year... got damn canucks

PRST is made in Norway or somewhere outside the US. That being said I bit the bullet and ordered a P.R.S.T tripod and Hog Saddle from Nordic Marksman on Black Friday. Found out after it shipped, apparently, Canada Post has been on strike for the past month and I'm probably not going to see it before the new year... got damn canucks

Copy, I think SLIK is made in Japan. PRST aren't exactly cheap are they. Good luck in a speedy delivery. Sounds like a good reason to take a road trip to Canada.

Reactions: derk
    We've ran three of the PRST tripod's for two years of duty use without issues. They have a Sunwayfoto XB-52DL bullhead on them with HOG Saddles. I've used RRS and Manfrotto tripods, and I find that these are just as good for our use at a lower cost.

Reactions: ForgeValley
    Got it in today, overall looks to be solid. Will update once I get some more time to play with it.

IMG_9114 2.JPG

Reactions: sd0311msg
    How heavy in that configuration?

I don't have a scale, should have weighed it while I was at work. Based off the website specs:
    4.1lb- prst tripod
    15.8oz- hog saddle
    = 81.5oz / 5lb