• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mixing powder

Morgan321

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2013
Mixing different lots of the same powder to make it as homogeneous as possible. I've been told many do it? Doesn't seem unreasonable but I know nothing.

On the scale of riskiness, this is definitely not high. There are much worst thing one can do that are much riskier.

Blended might be a more accurate term, and rolled/tumbled, not shook. Yes, if I have a new supply, along with a small quantity of the same stuff, (perhaps a different lot #) I see no harm in mixing it into the larger quantity. Just make sure you roll it well. BB

I started a thread a few months ago addressing this same question.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading/194850-mixing-powders-different-lots.html

I spoke with my gunsmith the other day who is an engineer and a master highpower shooter. He's much smarter than I and says don't do it. If you do have a problem with a particular batch there would be no way to track it back to the lot. It's rare, but it does happen. Powder manufacturers take note of lots that have had reports of problems from customers and will often replace it. Not gonna happen if you mixed it. Also, if there turns out to have been a problem with a certain lot and you mix it with another you're screwed.

I use an old varget 8lb container to homogenize it into one set. I simply turn it several times by hand, but i try not to mix more than 6 lbs at a time, depending that it is not from the same lot. If it is the same lot, I try to keep it separate, but I have homogenized since getting scarce powder from different sources.