• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk 12 SPR 77 Gr Sierra King Match

Gunpir8

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2012
Fernandina Beach, Fl
Tried to find out this information and looked at several post and topics. I am planning on building a MK 12 with a Noveske 18 SPR 1:7 twist threaded barrel. My question is what is the maximum effective range of this set up using the above listed bullet or a suggested bullet. Can I shoot out to 800 yards+? I have a Savage 110 BA in .338 Laupa and consistly shoot out to 1000 yards but a $5 a round, I dont shoot it very much though my next effort will be 1500 yards and a Savage 10 PC in .308 that I shoot at 1000 yards, which I feel is the maximum range of the .308, both rifles are eqipped with Nightforce scopes. I want to challenge myself by going with a smaller projectile and try to push the MK 12 build to the limits of the rifle. Any help, opinions or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Mk 12 SPR 77 Gr Sierra King Match

I'm getting 2652 fps with that bullet out of my Centurion Arms upper. I've shot it out to 760 and it's been pretty consistent. JBM shows supersonic out to just past 800 at 80 degrees and 500' in elevation. So, it should be doable. You'll probably be at the ragged edge of its limitations, but you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Do you know what the terminal ballistics of the 77 gr round? I have read that at 900 yards it is the same as the muzzle velocity and energy of a .38 spl. Doesn't seem like much but, of course, I would not want to be on the receiving end.

A competent shooter will have a fairly easy time hitting targets out to 1,000 yards with a 5.56 OTM (MK262) round. Wind calls are about an extra .25 mils than that of 7.62 118LR 175 grain SMK. The problem usually comes in hearing the splash on the steal target. You will want a good spotter to help call shots.

As for terminal ballistics, I would not expect much damage on a human or an animal body at that distance because you have lost so much velocity which is what makes this round so lethal. It would probably be similar to hitting something with a .22 magnum.

18" 223 w/77 grainers is accurate out to 600 after that the accuracy starts to drop off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunpir8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know what the terminal ballistics of the 77 gr round?</div></div>

I know they work great on coyotes and varmints. Beyond that a 308 semi would offer a lot more punch if that is what makes you moist.

FWIW I have 223 semis, 308 semi, 308 bolts, 300win mag bolt and I shoot the 223 far more than the others. No recoil, super accuracy, cheap components, lightweight rifle, it's the perfect target and pest control round. I've taken several blacktail deer with it too.

I would also get a 1:8 twist instead of 1:7 if given the choice as I like to shoot lots of 52's as well as 77's.

At 1K a 1 mph wind change will shift point of impact 1 min. My daughter made a 1st round hit at 1K, but was on either side of it the rest of her shots. To six hundred my spr-ish rifle (W/Noveske bbl) is very accurate.

I've run everything down to 50 grain ballistic tips in my 1:7 AR (colt 6920) with excellent results. The 52 grain amax is the single most accurate bullet I have shot through that rifle too. Ive also had recent excellent results with the newer 53 grain vmax. When ever I get the funds to put an mk12 together it's going to have a 1:7 twist and I plan to shoot the 53 grain vmaxs and 77 matchkings pretty much exclusively.

Range wise, I'm expecting it to be an 800 yard rifle. If I need to reach out further, I'll grab a bigger for a heavier chambering.

Thanks, jakhamr81! That's exactly the information I was looking for! I feel more comfortable with the build. Precision rifle is kind of addicting!

The MK12's can throw the 77SKM a good way, 800-1000m is not uncommon. As someone already said wind drift is generally just a tad more than M118LR out to about 800-900ish. After 1000-1100m wind can really put a hurting on that little guy. I have personal taken a MK12 out to 1450m with about 50-60% hits on a 55gal. drum, winds breezing just around 3-4mph.

The longest shots I've taken with the MK12 was out to 1700m just a few weeks ago, with winds at about 8-10mph the results were 0% hits but I did get close enough to keep a PKM team quite for the rest of the day.

A lot people look down on the 5.56 but with the right load (MK262)you can drive it pretty far. Its certainly not the greatest thing since sliced bread but its not too bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A competent shooter will have a fairly easy time hitting targets out to 1,000 yards with a 5.56 OTM (MK262) round. Wind calls are about an extra .25 mils than that of 7.62 118LR 175 grain SMK. The problem usually comes in hearing the splash on the steal target. You will want a good spotter to help call shots.

As for terminal ballistics, I would not expect much damage on a human or an animal body at that distance because you have lost so much velocity which is what makes this round so lethal. It would probably be similar to hitting something with a .22 magnum. </div></div>

A fairly easy time hitting targets out to a 1000 yards? I shoot my 20 inch 1-7 Service Rifle at 1000. And, even with an 80 grain VLD at 2800, I find it is difficult. I think I'm a pretty good shooter too. I would not want to use the 77 grain bullet even at 5 or 600 yards unless there was a feed from mag requirement. Can you give some detail of how to make it fairly easy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A competent shooter will have a fairly easy time hitting targets out to 1,000 yards with a 5.56 OTM (MK262) round. Wind calls are about an extra .25 mils than that of 7.62 118LR 175 grain SMK. The problem usually comes in hearing the splash on the steal target. You will want a good spotter to help call shots.

As for terminal ballistics, I would not expect much damage on a human or an animal body at that distance because you have lost so much velocity which is what makes this round so lethal. It would probably be similar to hitting something with a .22 magnum. </div></div>

A fairly easy time hitting targets out to a 1000 yards? I shoot my 20 inch 1-7 Service Rifle at 1000. And, even with an 80 grain VLD at 2800, I find it is difficult. I think I'm a pretty good shooter too. I would not want to use the 77 grain bullet even at 5 or 600 yards unless there was a feed from mag requirement. Can you give some detail of how to make it fairly easy?</div></div>

Once you have your elevation setting it is a matter of being good at reading the wind and applying the appropriate wind call/ hold.

Are you going to hit a 1,000 yard target 100% of the time? No; but I can expect to hit it at least 50% of the time under calm or steady wind conditions.

A 5.56 is not my first choice caliber for targets past 7 or 800 yards, but it is certainly capable of that distance.

I think that hitting a target 50% of the time shows how difficult something is rather that how easy something is. I can hit a 1000 yard NRA bullseye 100 percent of the time. It's placing all of my hits in the 20 inch 10 ring that eludes me. At any rate 1000 yards is way beyond the maximum effective range for the 77 grain round. And this has a lot to do with the ability of a competent shooter getting a whole lot more than just a 50% hit probability.

Isn't it about hitting where aimed? I think that's what they're talking about? Target composition is moot. Yet, from reading this thread, it appears most here have a hobby interest in this sort of thing, so paper or steel is what they're most likely shooting at. I shoot paper scorable targets as an aid to marksmanship development, you know, the fundementals.

I would say that hitting a 12" square peice of steel three times out of six shots at 1K is more than acceptable. True the 5.56 round is not the ideal round for further distances, but it can be done by a skilled marksman.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say that hitting a 12" square peice of steel three times out of six shots at 1K is more than acceptable. True the 5.56 round is not the ideal round for further distances, but it can be done by a skilled marksman.</div></div>

Acceptable for what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say that hitting a 12" square peice of steel three times out of six shots at 1K is more than acceptable. True the 5.56 round is not the ideal round for further distances, but it can be done by a skilled marksman.</div></div>

Acceptable for what? </div></div>

Acceptable for most real world conditions. In our Designated Marksman program we are required to hit a 12" target at 800 yards 3 times out of six shots. With no help from a spotter with 7.62 M118LR under any given environmental conditions.

To be able to perform the same task with a 5.56 round and at greater distance is enough to prove to me that the round is capable for most tasks that I will need it to do.

I will have to claim ignorance as to the size of an NRA target but if you are speaking of the target that is 5 feet across, the MK262 round is more than capable of hitting it and in the hands of a skilled marksman who understands how to read wind and apply corrections, you can expect hits at 1,000 yards 100% of the time.

Even if you can't call wind a 10mph full value wind will only move a MK162 round 15 inches at 1k; a 15mph wind will move the round 21 inches at the same distance. You have 30 inches from the center of the target to either side so in theory, to hit a 5 foot target you would not even need to correct for wind until the wind speed exceeds 20mph.

I train on man size and smaller targets because they are more suited to my job and what I am expected to hit.

You guys that can take an iron sighted rifle and keep your rds on paper at 1k impress the hell out of me. I can’t do that with a scope; not even close. IMHO, you’re talking about something more specialized than what the average long range tinkerer is doing. I think for most folks, mag function is a limiting factor. If a 77smk or similar is as long as we can get to function through the mag, then that’s the limit; single loading is out (it doesn’t feel tactical
smile.gif
).

Mod 0 clone w/ WOA spr barrel (marked 1:7) and 77gr smk, I can shoot fairly well out to 600, but no one is walking up to my target with a measuring tape
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say that hitting a 12" square peice of steel three times out of six shots at 1K is more than acceptable. True the 5.56 round is not the ideal round for further distances, but it can be done by a skilled marksman.</div></div>

Acceptable for what? </div></div>

Acceptable for most real world conditions. In our Designated Marksman program we are required to hit a 12" target at 800 yards 3 times out of six shots. With no help from a spotter with 7.62 M118LR under any given environmental conditions.

To be able to perform the same task with a 5.56 round and at greater distance is enough to prove to me that the round is capable for most tasks that I will need it to do.

I will have to claim ignorance as to the size of an NRA target but if you are speaking of the target that is 5 feet across, the MK262 round is more than capable of hitting it and in the hands of a skilled marksman who understands how to read wind and apply corrections, you can expect hits at 1,000 yards 100% of the time.

Even if you can't call wind a 10mph full value wind will only move a MK162 round 15 inches at 1k; a 15mph wind will move the round 21 inches at the same distance. You have 30 inches from the center of the target to either side so in theory, to hit a 5 foot target you would not even need to correct for wind until the wind speed exceeds 20mph.

I train on man size and smaller targets because they are more suited to my job and what I am expected to hit.

</div></div>

Dude, what are you smokin'? A 10 mph full value wind will move a round as you described more like 8 feet at 1000 yards, assuming it gets there nose-on. Also, ya might want to re-think your DM program's curriculum if you think a 15 mph full value wind is only going to move point of impact 21 inches at 1000 yards, it's more like 15 MOA. That's something like 12 feet. Obviously, if you're meeting the expectations of your job, your job does not have anything to do with LR shooting. BTW, the only way your math works is if an MOA has a value of about an inch at 1000 yards. Perhaps that's where you are confused. One MOA at 1000 yards has a value of about 10.47 inches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys that can take an iron sighted rifle and keep your rds on paper at 1k impress the hell out of me. I can&#146;t do that with a scope; not even close. IMHO, you&#146;re talking about something more specialized than what the average long range tinkerer is doing. I think for most folks, mag function is a limiting factor. If a 77smk or similar is as long as we can get to function through the mag, then that&#146;s the limit; single loading is out (it doesn&#146;t feel tactical
smile.gif
).

Mod 0 clone w/ WOA spr barrel (marked 1:7) and 77gr smk, I can shoot fairly well out to 600, but no one is walking up to my target with a measuring tape
smile.gif

</div></div>

I see it as you do. My point to jakhamr is that shooting is not easy at 1000 with a .223 unless the target is really big or the competition does not show up. My average iron sight with sling Service Rifle score when full value wind is only about 4 mph is just 93%. With irons on a .308 with sling my percentage goes up to about 97.5%. That's my idea of easy.

Interestingly, I enjoy shooting the Service Rifle at LR more than anything else I've tried. I sense with the Service Rifle I am developing picture and motor memory skills more effectively and efficiently than possible from a practice schedule designed to be effective for other LR divisions.

I stand corrected I have been on vacatjon to long, I should have stayed in moa. At around 5-10mph, I am probably holding 2-3mils that is about 10.5 moa, roughly 11 minutes.

Brian,

You might want to go back a revise your other post on the effects of wind. That one revealed you don't understand enough about the effects of wind to have an informed opinion on this matter. What that post did reveal is that your opinion is based only on a very limited personal experience with LR shooting. Thing is, I already knew your experience was sketchy when you used the word easy to describe the results a good shooter would get with a 77 grain bullet from an 18 inch barrel at LR. Good results would not be easy except in ideal conditions.

Wow, this thread really took a different turn. Gunpir, my MK12 will hold sub moa out to some distance. I haven't taken it out past 5 or 600yds so I couldn't tell you beyond that. I know that this rifle was requested by SOCOM for a 700meter 5.56 rifle. Crane built it for killing people at that distance. and the Mk262 77gr was the rounds developed for it. When I group at 100yds with my WOA barrel I can normally average 1/2 to 3/4 minute. When I put green tip 62 gr through it, my groups go to shit. I have to stick w/ 77gr or I don't get good results. If you want to shoot all different weighted bullets, I would go with 1:8 twist. But yes, it can hit out past 800 and it's a great challenge to see how far you can take a 5.56. Good luck with your build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JudasMac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, this thread really took a different turn. Gunpir, my MK12 will hold sub moa out to some distance. I haven't taken it out past 5 or 600yds so I couldn't tell you beyond that. I know that this rifle was requested by SOCOM for a 700meter 5.56 rifle. Crane built it for killing people at that distance. and the Mk262 77gr was the rounds developed for it. When I group at 100yds with my WOA barrel I can normally average 1/2 to 3/4 minute. When I put green tip 62 gr through it, my groups go to shit. I have to stick w/ 77gr or I don't get good results. If you want to shoot all different weighted bullets, I would go with 1:8 twist. But yes, it can hit out past 800 and it's a great challenge to see how far you can take a 5.56. Good luck with your build</div></div>

Your post is an honest appraisal based on your actual experience with the concept. The word challenge, which you used, is a more accurate term to describe results at long range than the word easy, the term jakhamr used to describe results with the 77 grain round from an 18 inch barrel at long range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brian,

You might want to go back a revise your other post on the effects of wind. That one revealed you don't understand enough about the effects of wind to have an informed opinion on this matter. What that post did reveal is that your opinion is based only on a very limited personal experience with LR shooting. Thing is, I already knew your experience was sketchy when you used the word easy to describe the results a good shooter would get with a 77 grain bullet from an 18 inch barrel at LR. Good results would not be easy except in ideal conditions. </div></div>

No, what that revealed was that I did not properly convert mils to inches, I simply stopped I'm MOA and did not continue to convert to inches, a rookie mistake, perhaps.

It is a matter of opinion, I feel a 1k shot is fairly easy for this round especially if you are shooting at a 5 foot target. Some will disagree and that is fine, skill levels vary greatly here.

Hitting a 5 ft target is easy. It's hitting inside the 20 inch diameter 10 ring with a high X-count that is not easy. Your original post alluded to a 13 inch target, not a 60 inch target. What bothers me about your "easy" statement is that someone might actually believe it. I've got mad skills and I'm certain I'd have a problem with the 77 grain bullet at 1000 yards even when driven at the highest velocity possible from a 20 inch match Service Rifle barrel. Holding elevation would be very difficult, as well as getting the wind right. Not getting at least one of these right will assure something less than the best results. And don't look for the scope to come to your aid, it's not a question of understanding where the rifle is pointed as much as it is maintaining consistent contol over the rifle, correcting for wind correctly, and having very very good ammunition-better than Mk 262 even though what little I've shot has been very consistent.

I am looking for any suggestions. If you have any please share. I am looking on putting together a 5.56mm AR platform rifle gas or piston system most definite sub MOA preferably sub ½ MOA 16-18 inch barrel maybe 1:7. From my findings it seems as though I may want to go with a MK 12 SPR which is difficult to find.
I would like any suggestions as to what upper receiver I should get from who as well as what lower ideally to go with that upper and what stock is ideal. Unfortunately I didn’t get any experience with the MK12 because my platoon was getting them as I separated from the military. I also plan on getting a bolt action .308 rifle that must be a sub ½ MOA gun. I plan on using a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PM II/LP/MTC/LT. For the .308 I am looking at the FBI HRT model from GA Precision or The Do It ALL rifle from American Precision Arms , although those cost quite the pretty penny but then again so will the scope. Suggestions such as where I may find one or others similar or perhaps even better would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

NinjaJedi, If you're looking for a complete upper, done and finished to mate up with a lower, I would go with a BCM. They have great options and competitive pricing on specific MK12 Mod1/0 built uppers. The lower is up to you, but if it will be a dedicated LR/P rifle, I would stick with an A2 style stock or use a Magpul PRS. I have my Mk12 lower built on an American Precision Arms billet lower with a Magpul CTR stock and couldn't be happier. I also have a bolt gun that APA built for me that I've taken out to 1400 yards. APA will never stop hearing my praise and Jered Joplin is a hell of a guy to work with. My .02. Good luck with your builds

After 700 yards, I struggle to make real consistant hits. Wind kicks my ass. But it is fun to practice in changing wind conditions.
I've dinked steel at 1,000 but wind shifts and no mas. fun stuff

Would you still go with 1:8 even if your intent is only to do a custom build for strictly "long range shooting" using 5.56/.233. I have two Savage 10 PC's one in .223 with an additional .300 blackout barrel and the other one in .308. My intent is to build a semi auto "precision rifle" using the mk 12 mod 0 specs. Not trying to be a SEAL or anything but from everything I have read seems to be the best setup for LR shooting.

Moonshine Tac, the thread did take a unexpected turn. I have rifles that I can consistently hit 1000 yards with my great spotter to make calls. My intent was to make it a challenge to push the 5.56 / .223 round out to a 1000 yards. I feel like I am a good fundamental shooter but just wanted to know if it could be done. I expected 700-800 yards but a 1000 seems like the challenge to my abilities. I love to push the limits with my shooting.

Absolutely, and why not. So many people put limits on calibers but you never know until you push it. At sniper school I was able to hit 2 consistent hits at 1360 with the schoolhouse issued rifle but I think it was half dumb luck. I was pretty proud of that until a buddy of mine went to a GPS Defense SPR course and hit with his 5.56 at 1200. It kind of knocked me off my pedistal:) I don't think I could do it but it can be done, I think I would have to get WAY better at reading wind. Anyway, I love why you started this thread, the Mk12 is one of my favorite builds and I think one of the most practical rifles to have. Good luck pushing it as far as you can go and I'd love to hear how far you get!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunpir8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you still go with 1:8 even if your intent is only to do a custom build for strictly "long range shooting" using 5.56/.233. I have two Savage 10 PC's one in .223 with an additional .300 blackout barrel and the other one in .308. My intent is to build a semi auto "precision rifle" using the mk 12 mod 0 specs. Not trying to be a SEAL or anything but from everything I have read seems to be the best setup for LR shooting. </div></div>

Sorry, I should have answered this above. If you're building a dedicated LR/P AR15 I would go with a 1:7 twist. You'll be shooting heavier bullets out at distance. If you want to build a precision rifle that can shoot all different weighted bullets, I would go with the 1:8. with 75 and 77gr bullets, you will get better results with a 1:7 twist. Hoe this helps brother. Good Luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call me wired, but I see no real benefit of using a bullet that has to be single fed unless you are shooting the long range portion of a service rifle or match competition. After that single feeding a semi-automatic rifle doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.</div></div>
Wired,

77gr fits in the mag.

I used an NRA "Service Rifle" with a Kreiger 1/7.7 and I used 77's out to 300 yards with outstanding accuracy. Typically I used the A-Max's or 80's for 600 yards but they were single feed.

I also have an old Knights SR15 match "MK12-ish" rifle with the same barrel (20") and chamber and have taken it with 77's on IPSC sized steel out to 550 yards with boring consistency at 300' altitude, even with -200 DA. I have not shot it past this distance but I would certainly expect to hit IPSC sized steel at 600 (possibly 700) consistently if you are watching your fundamentals.

Running Federal 55gr practice ammo, 64gr soft tip or TAP ammo, and the 77's all shot under 1MOA with that 1/7.7 If you are thinking of a custom build you may want to give that twist and the Wylde chamber a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supermoto917</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was wondering what kind of scopes are you guys using with targets at the 1K mark. </div></div>

2.5-10x32 NF on the .223
3.5-15x50 NF on the .308

I have shot that same setup for a while and I would say 700 yard consistently would be a good adverage. It ends up comming down to your wind reading ability though because they get blown around quite a bit