• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK12 scope opinions

mkris101

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2018
looking for opinions for scopes on my PRI MK12. it will be suppressed

It doesn't necessarily need to be clone correct. I am also looking to stay under 1k
I would like to get illuminated recital and tactical turrets

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I would say Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 in whatever flavor you like, mil or moa. There are some pretty sweet deals on NXS’s at the moment so I would jump on them if you like SFP. If you prefer FFP I would watch the PX section.

I ran about all clone correct optics on my MK12MOD1. I finally settled on a Leupold MK6 3-18 and felt that was a great magnification range for the rifle. Nightforce NXS FFP 3.5-15 and Tangent Theta/Premier 3-15 would be clone acceptable optics for it.

I built an SPR a few years ago and started with a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40 with the TMR reticle. It was a great little scope but I just needed a little more. I replaced it with a Nightforce SHV 4x14x50 F1 with the Mil-R. It is perfect for my needs. I use this rifle to be the secondary shooter in 2-man matches where typically the secondary engages targets to a max distance of 600 yards.

The beauty of a 5.56 gas gun is the lower weight ( rifle itself as well as extra ammo) when compared to the larger caliber gas/bolt guns. Though you can probably push past 1000 yards a more realistic routine shooting distance would be about 800 and in. A top end magnification of 15 and an objective of 50mm or less will help you keep the weight down and will be plenty of magnification at those ranges.

I know you said you didn’t have to stay clone-correct so that gives you a lot more options, but from my own research into it a few years back there have been a lot of different scopes used on the mk12 rifles but nothing over a magnification of 10x, from what I recall.

If money were no object the NF 4-16x42 F1 ATACR is an incredible optic for a rifle like that. Available with several different reticles, a good size and weight, and a magnification range that you can use without it being overkill. The only downside with that optic I’ve found is that even with a 34mm tube it doesn’t have as much internal elevation adjustment as you would expect.

Last edited:
I'm going to be ordering up a Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 on Tuesday if that's something you'd be interested in, I'll do a review and let you know how she performs.

Reactions: LongSchott
I regrettably bought a Vortex VIper PST Gen2 2-10x32. Its going back! I am have a hard time seeing the recital as it only comes in 1st FP.
felt like I need a little more with my older eyes.

Have it narrowed down to either a leupold Patrol VX-R 3-9x40 or a Vortex PST Gen2 3-15x44 2nd FP.

i had the pst 2-10x32 right next to the VX-R. seems like the VX-r was a better performer and provided a better sight picture zoomed even though it was only a 9 power

I am using a leupold VX-R patrol 3-9 on my 20 inch AR. It is s decent scope for the money tracks fine and seems durable through a couple years of use and several matches. Downside the reticle is on the thick side while fast it's not the best for outright precision. I am actually looking at a Burris XTRii 3-15 and putting the Leupold back on a 16inch gun.

I have always been happy with Leupold.

Figure out your exact need. (This is harder than it might first seem) Get the scope that fits that exat task.

I bought a scope! I went with the Viper PST Gen2 3-15x44. I was torn on between the leupold Patrol VX-R 3-9x40 . I looked at the Mark5 and a NightForce. my old eyes made the viper the right choice. the Mark5 was awesome for $1,700 but the recital and firedot left a lot to be desired

Optics Plant gave me a hell of a deal that was even better than the standard Vet discount so it made it a easy decision!

Next decision, the mount
Larue tactical QD with 20 MOA or Midwest Industries

Look at a sample dope chart for whatever round you are going to shoot. See if you need the 20 MOA given the elevation adjustment in the scope. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to have it but I have no additional MOA rings and haven’t hurt for adjustment. Also, decide if you want QD. If you’re going to have BUIS or if you plan to move the scope around to other rifles it would make sense, other wise save the coin that the QD costs.

considering it comes with the PRI flip sights, they cant be used running a scope.

If you have flip up iron sights then you’ll want a QD scope mount. But you’ll have to get one tall enough that the rear sight can fit folded under the ocular lens.
F246BAD6-7307-4622-9442-F81B22EC3F41.png

Pic stolen, err borrowed, off the inter webs. I know that’s not the scope or BUIS you have but the pic gives the idea. You probably know that already, OP. Just adding it to anyone who might be following the thread and doesn’t.

Depending on your mount you should be able to sneak a PRI folding rear sight under there. But definitely will want QD so the BUIS are useable.

I wouldn’t put Larue on a pellet gun these days.
There are a TON of better options out now. 5-7 years ago.....Larue was one of few options. Now, I’d literally pick most any quality mount over Larue.

Geiselle, Badger, Nightforce, Spuhr, ADM Delta, you name it.
Larue will mark up your upper, and has a horrible RTZ.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
I have a set of ARMS #22 High QD rings that I use. They’ve been great. The rifle has been used hard as well as abused, I’m ashamed to say. No shift in zero. They don’t have any built-in elevation but I haven’t needed it. I think those are the clone-correct rings for the mk12. But there are probably a bunch of different rings/mounts that have been used.

looking for opinions for scopes on my PRI MK12. it will be suppressed

It doesn't necessarily need to be clone correct. I am also looking to stay under 1k
I would like to get illuminated recital and tactical turrets

Thanks for the help!

I've been happy with the NF SHV's that I have, both a 3-10 & a 4-14, especially for the money & the package size is good, especially the 3-10.................just depends on what mag you think you need.

As for mounts, I like the ADM's for a reasonable price, or Bobro's for just a little more. Return to zero with both is pretty good too.

This is the 3-10.

NotU7DS.jpg

MM

The PRI is Zero'd and ready
I ended up with the Vortex PST Gen 2 x44. I looked at a Mark5 but the Vortex won out. I got a hell of a deal (less than $700) for the Vortex. My decision wasn't based on price but the Vortex fit my needs the best.

For now I am using Seekins High rings. Due to the size of the scope, the ring is mounted over the barrel. I don't think I can use a cantilever mount based on my eye relief and the length of the scope. i would prefer it be mounted over the receiver so suggestions are welcome for mounts.

Also Got Word the My AEM5 Suppressor has been shipped. Now the waiting game to get it our of suppressor Jail

Reactions: Irish_11
I ended up with the Vortex PST Gen 2 x44. I looked at a Mark5 but the Vortex won out. I got a hell of a deal (less than $700) for the Vortex. My decision wasn't based on price but the Vortex fit my needs the best.
View attachment 7088234
For now I am using Seekins High rings. Due to the size of the scope, the ring is mounted over the barrel. I don't think I can use a cantilever mount based on my eye relief and the length of the scope. i would prefer it be mounted over the receiver so suggestions are welcome for mounts.

Also Got Word the My AEM5 Suppressor has been shipped. Now the waiting game to get it our of suppressor Jail

I decided to go that route as well I wanted to give the mark 5 more time to see if Leopold had truly fixed their mistakes of the past. I picked up the Vortex Gen 2 PST 3-15 for my Recce Build, it's a bit longer and a bit heavier than I wanted and maybe down the road I'll change it out but for now it will work.

I went with the vortex / seekins Mount as well. It gets here on the 6th , I'll get it mounted and send you some pics with that style of Mount.

I dig the mark 12 MOD 0 platform, but unfortunately you will have to get a QD mount if you want to use your iron sights, it's just one of the trade-offs if you went with the MOD 1 you could have used 45 degree offset BUIS.

But good looking rifle brother.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t put Larue on a pellet gun these days.
There are a TON of better options out now. 5-7 years ago.....Larue was one of few options. Now, I’d literally pick most any quality mount over Larue.

Geiselle, Badger, Nightforce, Spuhr, ADM Delta, you name it.
Larue will mark up your upper, and has a horrible RTZ.
I own 3 Larue QD mounts. All return to zero always. You must have a lemon or misinformation

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
I know it’s not correct but I really really like my nx8 2-20 on mine. That scope is absolutely perfect for a precision minded ar. But before I had that it wore a pst 5-25, which is also very good and in your budget. I think I sold mine for 700 on this sight so if you got a used one a ad recon qd mount you’d have enough for tenebrex caps left over.

View attachment 7088234

How have you liked your Vortex PST? I'm finishing up an AR build very similar to yours and I'm debating a Vortex 3-15x over a 5-25x.

Reactions: JDB55
i went with Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 with ilum t3 on my mk12 SPRish rifle. works great. i really like the weight and compact package

I'm thinking of selling my like new Mk4's, an MR/T and an LR/T, both with illum. mildots, ARDs, Tenebraex caps. MR/T is in the correct Larue mount. The turrets are correct for one of the services.... MR/T was the original optic for the Mk12 and was also used on the recce rifle. LR/T was originally on the XM107 (yeah, elevation was a joke) and the M110, also in brown.

SDM stuff was never standardized so at some point or another I imagine anything with an NSN number was put on it.