• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Mk5 vs NX8

smarpin

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Let’s say you were looking for a crossover scope for hunting and long range recreation, which would you chose if given the option of a 5-25 mk5 or 4-32 nx8? Let’s say both are illuminated and price was roughly the same for the two options. Weight is a factor due to the style of hunting you prefer. Low light performance and durability are also big factors.

Between those two, I would go with the MK5. I'm not a huge fan of it, It feels too much like looking through a tunnel, but I think it is optically superior and easier to use then the NF. Better depth of field and less finicky parallax.

Of the two high power NX8s i like the 32x better. But would still rather have the Leupy.

Why not the 7-35 mk5?? It’s the same size as the 5-25 which I think is huge for a 5-25

Im not exactly sure but OP mentioned crossover scope from hunting and target practice. I'm assuming for hunting purposes, he prefers the wider FOV...

Im not exactly sure but OP mentioned crossover scope from hunting and target practice. I'm assuming for hunting purposes, he prefers the wider FOV...
I should read better, but wouldn’t the 7-35 have the same field of view power for power? Not being a dick I’m curious. And I would think the 35mm tube would allow pretty generous fov comparatively to a smaller tube, plus that scope is huge and heavy not what I would consider hunting scope. For that I would look at the 3.6-18

Tube diameter may not matter to most, but for me I'm picking 30mm over anything larger on a hunting rifle.

I've not used the mk5. I did hunt with the nx8. Never felt like there were any issues optically that I came across.

NF has always given me peace of mind when it comes to durability, so that would be my choice.

That's not to say I wouldn't like giving the mk5 a try.

Reactions: mavrick
Let’s say you were looking for a crossover scope for hunting and long range recreation, which would you chose if given the option of a 5-25 mk5 or 4-32 nx8? Let’s say both are illuminated and price was roughly the same for the two options. Weight is a factor due to the style of hunting you prefer. Low light performance and durability are also big factors.

If mostly used for hunting, I would probably pick the Mk5 from Gunwerks. It's lighter, locking turrets, non bdc moa reticle that can be picked up on lower magnification for snap shots.

If more recreational shooting/prone/BR/PRS than either would be just fine with me.

https://www.gunwerks.com/store/rifle-scopes/mark5-3-6-18x44

I appreciate the input, I’m going to try and get a look through them both soon

Between those two - reticle choices go to NF, but turrets go to Leupold, Mark 5 turrets are some of my favorites. If Leupy had better reticles I’d consider them more. NX8 is going to give you DOF/Parallax issues - just more finicky due to the design

I was very impressed with the nx8's weight and a clarity at the higher mag range. However, the eyebox and dof were a drawback. I guess it just depends on how big of a deal it is to you to have the lightweight scope vs the better glass of the mk5.