• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk5 vs NX8

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
On LongRangeOnly forum there was a discussion about the 3-18 mk5 losing zero. He did a box test and apparently it didn't return to his original zero. He said it only happened once in his testing but also complained about the 35mm tube being to thin thought that could be the reason. I haven't heard anyone else complain about the Mk5 series.

I'm looking for a new scope and had my eye on the 3-18 mk5 thinking it had everything I needed and was the lightest weight. Also considering the NX8 2.5-20, but heard there is a tight eye box due to it being so compact.

Thoughts?

There’s about eleventy threads a week on here that go in depth on the Mark 5 and NX8, tons and tons of detailed info.

I personally think the Mark 5 is the best $-for-$ scope out there, if I don’t want to spend ZCO money on a that’s my easy button.

The 2.5-20X is the most disappointing scope I have had (and mine works right) since USO shipped me an brand new SN4 with the Illumination turret hanging by wires in the box in 2005-ish.

PS if anyone wants a like new NX8 2.5-20 Mil XT for a Mark 5 with any reticle kindly hit me up LOL

There’s about eleventy threads a week on here that go in depth on the Mark 5 and NX8, tons and tons of detailed info.

I personally think the Mark 5 is the best $-for-$ scope out there, if I don’t want to spend ZCO money on a that’s my easy button.

The 2.5-20X is the most disappointing scope I have had (and mine works right) since USO shipped me an brand new SN4 with the Illumination turret hanging by wires in the box in 2005-ish.

PS if anyone wants a like new NX8 2.5-20 Mil XT for a Mark 5 with any reticle kindly hit me up LOL
what about the 4-32 though?

On LongRangeOnly forum there was a discussion about the 3-18 mk5 losing zero. He did a box test and apparently it didn't return to his original zero. He said it only happened once in his testing but also complained about the 35mm tube being to thin thought that could be the reason. I haven't heard anyone else complain about the Mk5 series.

I'm looking for a new scope and had my eye on the 3-18 mk5 thinking it had everything I needed and was the lightest weight. Also considering the NX8 2.5-20, but heard there is a tight eye box due to it being so compact.

Thoughts?
I've been using a mk5 5-25 and 7-35 for a while and can't say I've had any issues with them. The glass is clear and the turrets are some of my favorites. The FOV could use some improving but that's about it.
I also just got a NX8 2.5-20 and when setting the zero stop the entire turret just locked up on me. Apparently this is thing with Nightforce. I have literally not fired a single round yet and I already had to send it back to Nightforce. Their CS people were nice but the fact that they don't pay return shipping is fairly irritating on something I've had for roughly 3 days. We'll see how long it takes them to fix it. They quoted 6 weeks but it had better not be anywhere near that.

Reactions: Baron23
I’ve heard it’s much better but frankly I doubt I ever try it. After this piece of shit there’s no way I’m rolling the dice on something that’s “too good to be true” from them again. @koshkin said it didn’t have the same issues, that’s where I get most of my preliminary optics info.

ATACRs are great but with prices the way they are I’m gonna just go get a ZCO.

Reactions: Glassaholic

I don't have enough time behind my buddy's MK V to directly compare, but as far as my collection goes, I'd take my ZCO 420 (obviously) and Razor gen II over my NX8 for just about everything aside from affordability or weight. I like the NX8, but I don't love the NX8. Nothing about it is really spectacular about it other than having an 8x erector, which almost borders on gimicky considering anything past 22-24x darkens in a hurry. I've also grown to dislike the Mil-C and wasn't a huge fan of the DigIllume system from the get go. As far as positives go, it's fairly light at 28.6 oz, it does a good job vs CA and the parallax goes down to 11yds. I don't think I'll end up getting rid of it, but I doubt I'd buy ever another one.

As far as other lightweight FFP optics in that price range go, you can also consider a March 3-24 with a FML-1 optic. I don't have any experience with them though.

I don't have enough time behind my buddy's MK V to directly compare, but as far as my collection goes, I'd take my ZCO 420 (obviously) and Razor gen II over my NX8 for just about everything aside from affordability or weight. I like the NX8, but I don't love the NX8. Nothing about it is really spectacular about it other than having an 8x erector, which almost borders on gimicky considering anything past 22-24x darkens in a hurry. I've also grown to dislike the Mil-C and wasn't a huge fan of the DigIllume system from the get go. As far as positives go, it's fairly light at 28.6 oz, it does a good job vs CA and the parallax goes down to 11yds. I don't think I'll end up getting rid of it, but I doubt I'd buy ever another one.

As far as other lightweight FFP optics in that price range go, you can also consider a March 3-24 with a FML-1 optic. I don't have any experience with them though.

I have a March 3-24x52 and as far as lightweight 30mm scopes with high erector ratios go, it is still the one to beat. There are tradeoffs for combining compactness with a complicated optics, but they are well explored. As a crossover scope, it is very good.

Generally, crossover scope designs are about to get a couple more competitors that I expect to do very nicely.

NX8, to me, looks like a scope made for people who shop based on specs. I really like the ATACR series, but NX8 really does not do a whole lot for me. 4-32x50 is serviceable, but since I am not a magnification hog, I would rather have a less expensive and better optimized 4-20x50/5-20x50/6-24x50/etc. Or the more expensive, but very well optimized and US made Vortex AMG 6-24x50.

ILya

I've been using a mk5 5-25 and 7-35 for a while and can't say I've had any issues with them. The glass is clear and the turrets are some of my favorites. The FOV could use some improving but that's about it.
I also just got a NX8 2.5-20 and when setting the zero stop the entire turret just locked up on me. Apparently this is thing with Nightforce. I have literally not fired a single round yet and I already had to send it back to Nightforce. Their CS people were nice but the fact that they don't pay return shipping is fairly irritating on something I've had for roughly 3 days. We'll see how long it takes them to fix it. They quoted 6 weeks but it had better not be anywhere near that.
Nightforce fanboys just shit themselves.

I would rather find a used Bushnell LRHS/LRTS for less than half the price of either. Glass is just as good and its dead nuts reliable, WITH a better reticle than either can be had in and can be had in illum models you don't need $500 more for.

Reactions: S12A
The 2.5-20x50 is an optical mess, anytime you have a high magnification erector plus low price (under $2k) you're going to have to make a number of compromises and the compromises in the NX8 2.5-20 are pretty evident once you spin the mushy turrets and take a look through the scope. Other than the optics and turrets I liked just about everything else, but what's the point after that?

Check out the Burris XTR III, better than both the Mark 5 and NX8 (optically), but with no illumination it's a deal killer for many. If you don't need illumination and want something lightweight the new Bushnell LRHS2 should be very impressive, and there may be another scope coming that checks off many boxes... but waiting for rumored gear is neither fun nor necessarily wise.

I have a March 3-24x52 and as far as lightweight 30mm scopes with high erector ratios go, it is still the one to beat. There are tradeoffs for combining compactness with a complicated optics, but they are well explored. As a crossover scope, it is very good.

Generally, crossover scope designs are about to get a couple more competitors that I expect to do very nicely.

NX8, to me, looks like a scope made for people who shop based on specs. I really like the ATACR series, but NX8 really does not do a whole lot for me. 4-32x50 is serviceable, but since I am not a magnification hog, I would rather have a less expensive and better optimized 4-20x50/5-20x50/6-24x50/etc. Or the more expensive, but very well optimized and US made Vortex AMG 6-24x50.

ILya
What new competitors for crossover design are you looking at?

The 2.5-20x50 is an optical mess, anytime you have a high magnification erector plus low price (under $2k) you're going to have to make a number of compromises and the compromises in the NX8 2.5-20 are pretty evident once you spin the mushy turrets and take a look through the scope. Other than the optics and turrets I liked just about everything else, but what's the point after that?

Check out the Burris XTR III, better than both the Mark 5 and NX8 (optically), but with no illumination it's a deal killer for many. If you don't need illumination and want something lightweight the new Bushnell LRHS2 should be very impressive, and there may be another scope coming that checks off many boxes... but waiting for rumored gear is neither fun nor necessarily wise.
What’s the rumored scope? I waited on Leupold based on a phone conversation I had with one of their reps and was pretty pissed off come Feb 1st 😂

Heavily looking at the Element Nexus. Liked the Burris, but the illumination is highly disappointing

If I’m tore between nx8 and the Mk5 I’d pick the nightforce if it were me based on toughness.
True that, built like a tank.
I was with some SF guys doing a HAHO jump once, on opening the snipers NXS feel off. We found it later in the operation without a scratch on it.

You can never break the Nightforce.

I haven’t done any formal tracking tests with my MK5 3.6-18, but I’ve shot it out to 800 yards, back to zero, etc, and it holds up just fine.

I really like the turrets, ergonomics, size, weight, etc.

If I was forced to pick on it, the only thing I have is that I can induce CA at 15-18x in high contrast situations (think roof line against blue sky) if I’m not centered behind the scope. This is something I can live with in such a short design, especially at the price point.

I’ve never handled an NX8.

Reactions: SepticDeath
I have the NX8 4-32 and it is a good scope. I had a NXS 3.5-15 F1 and the NX8 is way better in every respect. Thats the comparison that should be made not whether the MK5 is better. Those are completely different animals. The MK5 is a cheap pos wannabe alpha scope. It wants to be a Mercedes but no matter what they do to it it will still be a Chevy. The NX8 is a Toyota. It is well made. The controls are smooth. The optics are decent for what it is- a NXS with improved glass. It is best at 20x. At low mag there isn’t what I would call a problem. What happens is when you move your head away from the scope centerline the outer part of the image bends. It doesn’t get less sharp, just bends. If you have your cheek planted on the stock there is no issue, only if you move your head. This shit goes away after 10-12x. It does not limit your ability to see, aim, or shoot. And other scopes do that as well to some extent. My Minox ZP5 does it a little.

Again, this is not an alpha scope. It is a very good beta scope. It is proportioned just right for hunting rifles.

I agree the NX8 is like a Toyota not really the best at anything, over priced and selling well due to brand reputation more than anything.
Just like the Nightforce you won't find a single Toyota with an issue ever...

The Mark 5hd is also like a Toyota sneaking by on brand reputation more than anything, but it does seem to have a few good things going for it.
So maybe it's more like a Lexus, I don't know, personally I'm a Land Rover guy so guess I should get me an IOR....

• Haha
Reactions: vinniedelpino
I wouldn't put any stock into the LRO "review". Frankly, it was a hack job to try and promote NF (their site sponsor). The dude said he had a zero shift one time while live firing due to an erector tube shift, which couldn't be replicated. No other info was given about how it happened or how he determined it was the scope's fault. The whole thing was retarded.

I agree the NX8 is like a Toyota not really the best at anything, over priced and selling well due to brand reputation more than anything.
Just like the Nightforce you won't find a single Toyota with an issue ever...

The Mark 5hd is also like a Toyota sneaking by on brand reputation more than anything, but it does seem to have a few good things going for it.
So maybe it's more like a Lexus

lol

Toyotas are not over priced and the MK5 is no Lexus.

Reactions: K3RRY
Well, I knew it was inevitable, here we go... :p

gif-eating-popcorn-15.gif

i have no complaints or defects to report for my 3.6-16x44 (after >1000 rounds on a Scar 20S if that matters).

i can't give you a comparison since i am a poor with one rifle* and one scope*, but i did as much research as i could before choosing without looking through anything.

*besides a .308 lever gun and 3x weaver from the 60s.

Reactions: JDPRH
I have 2 mk5 3-18. Both have been dialed out to 1000 and back numerous times. No issues. Would buy again.

Reactions: CageFighter