• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MkII Barrel Diameters Needed

Dylan in AZ

Shooting Addict
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2010
Arizona
I need some help figuring out a couple barrel diameters on some of Savage's MkII series rifles. The two I'm looking at right now are the MkII-F and the MkII-FV

I am thinking the F would be nice to have for squirrel/rabbit hunting, positional shooting (mainly smallbore silhouette), and *maybe* teaching younger family members how to shoot when/if that day comes and their parents are ok with it. I think a new stock right off the bat would be appropriate and a replacement of the factory open sights if I see fit.

Now with the FV I would very much like to set it up for aperature shooting in the prone with a sling and hand stop. So knowing what the barrel diameter is would help a ton in pricing this thing out. I think a stock from SSS would be fantastic too, and should get me off to a good start without the cost of most other rigs of similar purpose. All I would need from that point on is a hand stop, and a rail to mount it upon and I'd be well on my way into the world of sling shooting
laugh.gif
Now with all that being said I can't help but wonder if i'd be better off with a Kimber 82G from the CMP... Too many paths to walk
wink.gif

Also on a side note: Has anyone ever owned the Prone Style stock from Richard's Microfit and the Match/Target Rimfire stock from Sharp Shooter Supply that can give me a fair general comparison of the two? Thanks!

I do already have a MkII-TR that I could put a new stock on, but that does defeat the purpose that I bought it for. So I suppose that isn't really a viable option. I also considered getting a CZ but right now I think more MkII's make more sense
wink.gif

Anyways, I would appreciate it if anybody who owns either of these two rifles if you could post up the diameter of your barrel from just behind the muzzle.

Thanks a billion,
Dylan

Re: MkII Barrel Diameters Needed

I'll measure you the FV barrel tomorrow when I get back from the range. Assuming the FV is what is in the gun safe and I believe it is, but its my room mates.

Under the scope the barrel is more or less 0.70" through the end of the stock and at the end of the barrel, which you probably dont care about its Just under 0.60". So 0.70" where it matters.

Now I am confused, was the .70" under the scope (at the action) and the .60" at the muzzle? I'm looking for muzzle diameters.

The MKII F is .575 at the muzzle and .680 where it meets the stock

The MKII BV i have(older model with the "step" in the barrel) is .800 at the muzzle and where it meets the stock.

i don't know if it would be the same as the FV as mine has the "step" in it, but looking at pictures the newer BV and FV don't have the step -- however they are not flush with the receiver as mine / the older ones are. so somethings telling me they got rid of the thickeer step in the back by the receiver, and kept it .800 all the way through.

you may want to consider a Marlin 925 too....
Savage MKII F/G vs. Marlin 25/925 sporter barrel showdown Parts 1, 2, and 3

I've considered the 925 from Marlin as well, but i'm sold on Savage as far as rimfire rifles on a budget go. Thanks for the suggestion though, and on a side note: I'm constantly amazed at how many of your writeups go unresponded to. Lots of great information, and it seems not many people pay them any attention...

Thank you for the measurements though, much appreciated!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terror/TITS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and on a side note: I'm constantly amazed at how many of your writeups go unresponded to. Lots of great information, and it seems not many people pay them any attention... </div></div>

Oh no, we pay attention. Just don't know how to add to them.

Have you considered either the Savage Mark I-FVT (single shot) or Savage Mark II-FVT (repeater) from the CMP? Both come with aperture sights already, but you'll still need to replace the stock.

There's something about a single shot that has a strong lure to my better nature, but logically there is no reason for me to have one when a repeater is also an option and doesn't cost much more. *Hint* PLEASE someone [anyone!] try to sway me towards a single shot...lol I want one but can't justify it over a repeater.

I may go through the CMP instead now that I look at the price of the FVT's. Thanks for mentioning those, I had totally forgotten about them!

Are you planning on shooting this new rifle ever in a match?

I shot on a smallbore four position league where their rules stated that all shots were to be loaded individually. I ended up buying a single shot adapter to use during the league. If you are thinking that you might want to try match someday, then maybe that's enough reason to just get the single shot over the repeater. Hope that helps.

I don't think any of our local leagues/matches are specific to single shot vs. repeater. I know the smallbore silhouette league close by recomends a repeater. And they closed down their 4P league, sadly. Other than that I can't think of any that i'd be doing that require single feeding. Although, if I ever do have that 40x of my dreams then it'll be a single shot... maybe it would be apropriate to start practicing now?
wink.gif

Okay! New plan; MkI-FVT and MkII-F
grin.gif