• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MOA at 100 yards is it possible with a 22lr?

Re: MOA at 100 yards is it possible with a 22lr?

I have a friend that I shoot with that's been shooting about longer than I've been alive. We regularly shoot a local local rimfire match together and on one occasion, he made the remark that shooting rimfire at 100 yards is harder than shooting centerfire at 600. He further went on to remark that rimfire is the only field of shooting that he is aware of where a shooter's performance is a direct function of how much money he puts into his equipment.

For those that are interested, I heard that Eley retooled a couple of their machines, so if you've been avoiding getting ammo made on certain machines, you may want to give them another look so that you don't miss out on something.

Nothing's more challenging then taking a .22 and stretching it to 200-300 yards and hit your target. Folks can rip all they want on this caliber but it's all trial and error until you find the right recipe
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had to take my elderly mother to town and had to cut my last response short.

Shooter, rifle, and ammo all things perfect can it be done consistently and at what range.
50yds pretty easy.
100yds occasionally.
150yds occasionally on a really calm day.
200yds rarely on a calm day, and when all the cosmic tumblers click in place.

Shooter: The biggest factor I admit and never denied. Most shooters I have seen that went from a Savage or CZ to an Anschutz had a marked improvement in their score. Maybe partly due to the Crash Davis analogy I often quote:
"If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you *are*! And you should know that!"
I believe mostly due to the fact that they spent $1200 on an actual olympic grade rifle.
I have a rare oportunity to study as many as 40 shooters each month March thru Octobe, and study them I do. I have coached many who want advice and I have watched a few flounder in spite of good advice. There are a few that do not want to be told what they are doing wrong. I will stick by what a first mate once told me on a gulf stream charter. I asked him what kind of people he liked to fish with the most. He never batted an eye,"women and children." He said they listen because they don't already know everything. He said most men's egos demand that they at least act like they have done this a thousand times. If they own a boat even worse. I wish I could tell you my experiences with this little phenomenon in shooting matches. I cannot tell you the stories because too many people would know exactly who I am talking about. I would encourage you to have fun first and foremost. When you have truly done the best you can do you will know better than me. I can only tell you what it feels like. When you shoot a relay, or a stage in a match or just hammered out a group you should feel some physical drain. I have shot relays and could barely get back to my feet, or stand on my feet, etc, depending on what position I shot from. It means you have shut off the static of life and there is nothing in the world but you, the rifle and the target. You aren't thinking about the next relay, whats for lunch, how many points you shot the last relay, what the guy you want to beat is doing, whether your wife is cheating on you, etc etc ad nauseum. Think of it like this; If you are shooting 40 shots in a match it is not a 40 shot match, it is 40 one shot matches. When you concentrate in that manner you are on your way to success.
Another reference to Bull Durham I know, but when Crash gets in the batters box and his mind gets to rambling he calls "time" after litterally telling himself to get the crap out of his head, great scene. When we get in the "batters box" and our mind rambles call time and clear the mind before you squeeze the trigger.

Ammo:
Forget the bargain bin. I see great shooters every month who won't pay the price for true match grade ammo. Be prepared to spend a small fortune if you want ultimate rimfire accuracy. When you find a great ammo and a great lot number, buy all you can stand to buy. That is the oldest rimfire advice in existence, a no brainer. We have a guy that shoots with us that still has some of the dimple Federal, and he has won a lot of cash at our matches including last years championship. Lucky for the rest of us his supply is running low
smile.gif
A common mistake I have seen is guys that use one brand for 57yds and another brand for 112,163 and 210/240yds. This is a huge mistake. You cannot mix and match lubes and not expect some "strange" results. If you want to shoot R-50 at 50 and then maybe Fed. 922A at longer disatances that is fine, they have the same lube and both are made by RWS. Lapua has teh broadest range of like lubes,all Wolf,SK, and Lapua Center X, same lube. I call it eel snot. I think Midas is the same as well...not sure never bought any. Just stick with the same lube no matter what unless you are gonna clean your rifle or put a lot of fouler shots down the bore.

Rifle:
You don't want to hear this. Generally the more you spend the more accuracy you will get. You have to decide what each minimal gain is worth to you, for your application. I have seen very few rifles that were not adequate for hunting out to 50 yds. I have also seen few rifles adequate for hunting at and past 100yds, 22lr mind you. Would I shoot a rabbit at 125 yds with my Anschutz? Damn right I would, if of course I knew the exact range and was confident with conditions. Not in an unknown amount of crosswind, no. You will get what you pay for. Only you can decide what you need in a rifle. If you need the ultimate in accuracy don't expect to find it at Wally World. </div></div>

gents: i have read this paragraph again and again, and have learned a lot, bump up to the front page because i think most of us can learn some thing from what is written here, thanks sir

<span style="font-weight: bold">100 yards w/ a .22 is not hard at all IMO. Just need an accurate rifle, need to know your rifle, ammo, and watch the wind. Here is my 13 year old son last time out w/ our Savage TRR SR.

Best group was .865" w/ Wolf Extra Match. However, we often shoot sub MOA using bulk Blazer.</span>

DSCN9223.JPG

<span style="font-weight: bold">200 is really not that difficult as well w/ a good rifle. Seems once you get to 300 and beyond, it get to be a challenge. We ring steel all day long with it at 330 yards using CCI Blazer. Shooting at this distance w/ a .22 to me is similar to 600-800 yards w/ a .308. </span>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7pgfb72x0I&feature=plcp

-Zombie thread alert!!!-

I've been shooting a Mark II-FV for a few years now and have put close to 10K rounds through it so far. Here's my observations on this budget precision rimfire, with a few common ammo types based on extensive testing in a wide range of humidity and temperature levels. I doubt I will impress anybody with my results, but I'm not really worried about that; just want to provide a little more honest data to the best of my ability.

Note: all groups measured from outside edge to outside edge and 0.223" subtracted for an accurate center-to-center measurement.

Wolf MT: At 100 yards, I can rely on Wolf MT shooting well inside ~1.1" very nearly every time. I have yet to see it shoot a bigger group than 1.75". Most times it will shoot inside 0.8" with lots of little, bitty 0.5 and 0.6" groups mixed in to keep me encouraged. I have yet to shoot this ammo beyond 100 yards, except for a little plinking @ 200 and 300. Reliable hits on 3 MOA steel, but no groups measured. At 50 yards, I would say I could maintain sub-MOA 20 or 30 shot groups on a regular basis. Never was curious enough to try.

CCI SV: 100 yard accuracy averages about 1.20". Many groups will come in right around 0.8", but this is not common. I rely on it shooting just under 2" when money or braggin' rights are at stake. Reliably sub-2.5 MOA out to 300 yards.

CCI Velocitors: For all practical purposes, the same as CCI SV. Averages ~1.25" at 100 yards and I do not recall any five shot group bigger than 2". I feel this is excellent accuracy for my hunting purposes and I rely on it for first round hits and "bang-flop" kills on groundhogs out to 200 yards. YMMV; I can shoot better than most and have shot a metric-crap-ton of long range .22 in windy, field conditions.

CCI "Blazer". Average of 2" groups @ 100 yards. Have not had on paper beyond that range, but easy to hit 9" steel @ 300 yards.

Bottom line: Savage is a fine gun, and consistently delivers a very high level of accuracy for a .22 rimfire of any price. But if you expect this or any non-custom rifle to actually shoot even excellent ammo inside 1 MOA every time -wind/shooter variables aside (wait, this isn't a fairy tale...never mind), then you are in for some serious disappointment. Truly consistent MOA @ 100 yards .22 rimfire rifle/ammo/shooter combos are rare as unicorn testicles in the real world. Get over it or plan on paying centerfire-esque prices for rifle and ammo.

-The Deadly Punk.

Yes. While some of the groups shown here in this post aren't MOA, several are, and more consistently so than any other time I've taken this rifle out shooting.

Untitled-5copy.jpg

Untitled-4copy.jpg

Untitled-3copy.jpg

Untitled-2copy.jpg

And the rifle:

Picture1894Large.jpg

"our BEST group..."

"...we OFTEN shoot..."

Tempest455: I mean no disrespect by this, but I guess my philosophy of accuracy standards is based on the idea that we and our equipment are only Really as good as our worst day. I have shot Many five shot groups well under 0.5" at 100 yards with rimfire rifles, but these are not the norm. There is nothing more tempting than "cherry picking" fine groups like the one posted above and using that as the standard of accuracy for the rifle. In reality, we can only guarantee that we will shoot as good as our worst performance. I'm not as impressed with "...often..." as I am, "...I always shoot this well or better."

Maybe I'm a stick in the mud.

Kudos for getting the youngster involved, btw!

-Deadly Punk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had to take my elderly mother to town and had to cut my last response short.

Shooter, rifle, and ammo all things perfect can it be done consistently and at what range.
50yds pretty easy.
100yds occasionally.
150yds occasionally on a really calm day.
200yds rarely on a calm day, and when all the cosmic tumblers click in place.

Shooter: The biggest factor I admit and never denied. Most shooters I have seen that went from a Savage or CZ to an Anschutz had a marked improvement in their score. Maybe partly due to the Crash Davis analogy I often quote:
"If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you *are*! And you should know that!"
I believe mostly due to the fact that they spent $1200 on an actual olympic grade rifle.
I have a rare oportunity to study as many as 40 shooters each month March thru Octobe, and study them I do. I have coached many who want advice and I have watched a few flounder in spite of good advice. There are a few that do not want to be told what they are doing wrong. I will stick by what a first mate once told me on a gulf stream charter. I asked him what kind of people he liked to fish with the most. He never batted an eye,"women and children." He said they listen because they don't already know everything. He said most men's egos demand that they at least act like they have done this a thousand times. If they own a boat even worse. I wish I could tell you my experiences with this little phenomenon in shooting matches. I cannot tell you the stories because too many people would know exactly who I am talking about. I would encourage you to have fun first and foremost. When you have truly done the best you can do you will know better than me. I can only tell you what it feels like. When you shoot a relay, or a stage in a match or just hammered out a group you should feel some physical drain. I have shot relays and could barely get back to my feet, or stand on my feet, etc, depending on what position I shot from. It means you have shut off the static of life and there is nothing in the world but you, the rifle and the target. You aren't thinking about the next relay, whats for lunch, how many points you shot the last relay, what the guy you want to beat is doing, whether your wife is cheating on you, etc etc ad nauseum. Think of it like this; If you are shooting 40 shots in a match it is not a 40 shot match, it is 40 one shot matches. When you concentrate in that manner you are on your way to success.
Another reference to Bull Durham I know, but when Crash gets in the batters box and his mind gets to rambling he calls "time" after litterally telling himself to get the crap out of his head, great scene. When we get in the "batters box" and our mind rambles call time and clear the mind before you squeeze the trigger.

Ammo:
Forget the bargain bin. I see great shooters every month who won't pay the price for true match grade ammo. Be prepared to spend a small fortune if you want ultimate rimfire accuracy. When you find a great ammo and a great lot number, buy all you can stand to buy. That is the oldest rimfire advice in existence, a no brainer. We have a guy that shoots with us that still has some of the dimple Federal, and he has won a lot of cash at our matches including last years championship. Lucky for the rest of us his supply is running low
smile.gif
A common mistake I have seen is guys that use one brand for 57yds and another brand for 112,163 and 210/240yds. This is a huge mistake. You cannot mix and match lubes and not expect some "strange" results. If you want to shoot R-50 at 50 and then maybe Fed. 922A at longer disatances that is fine, they have the same lube and both are made by RWS. Lapua has teh broadest range of like lubes,all Wolf,SK, and Lapua Center X, same lube. I call it eel snot. I think Midas is the same as well...not sure never bought any. Just stick with the same lube no matter what unless you are gonna clean your rifle or put a lot of fouler shots down the bore.

Rifle:
You don't want to hear this. Generally the more you spend the more accuracy you will get. You have to decide what each minimal gain is worth to you, for your application. I have seen very few rifles that were not adequate for hunting out to 50 yds. I have also seen few rifles adequate for hunting at and past 100yds, 22lr mind you. Would I shoot a rabbit at 125 yds with my Anschutz? Damn right I would, if of course I knew the exact range and was confident with conditions. Not in an unknown amount of crosswind, no. You will get what you pay for. Only you can decide what you need in a rifle. If you need the ultimate in accuracy don't expect to find it at Wally World.</div></div>

Upon our last match setup. Armorpl8chickn and the gang witnessed a 5 round, 1" group at 225 yards. It can be done and the rig running that is amazing, the bullets are top of the line and the shooter is dead-eye. Craziest thing I ever saw, and immediatly knew I have a long way to go with my equipment and my skills.

My practice rifle is this:

Old CZ452 American in a Boyd's Tacticool stock with an A5-type adjustable comb that I fabricated.
Simmons Pro 6-18x40 rimfire scope in a BKL mount. Timney trigger at about 2.5 lbs.

With several types of ammo checked so far (Win standard velocity, Win X22HV (my preference), CCI Std, etc.), when I
do my part, it is capable of 1" 10-shot groups at 100 yds (if the wind is not too bad - that's the real
problem shooting "long range" .22 rimfire that can see). I don't have any target pictures readily available tonight,
but may have some to add by next week if the weather cooperates over the weekend.

Shooterman:
What is that cheekrest? I have the same setup, and am needing a cheekrest. I like Karsten (have one on my hunting rifle), but that may be overkill for the .22LR.

What are you using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VA Gentleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Upon our last match setup. Armorpl8chickn and the gang witnessed a 5 round, 1" group at 225 yards. It can be done and the rig running that is amazing, the bullets are top of the line and the shooter is dead-eye. Craziest thing I ever saw, and immediatly knew I have a long way to go with my equipment and my skills.
</div></div>

I have seen it before and mentioned it but often folks simply don't believe. I have seen Steve stack 4 in a spot at 210 smaller than an inch, and then have one dip out and still be less than .75MOA, I have seen it often.
The funny thing is, some will shoot a group like that and claim they have a .5 MOA rifle. I have seen more 2" groups at 210 than I can reasonably count but I still cannot say that those rifles are MOA all day long. If you run out of "the good stuff" you have to average those crap groups into the mix. Yes there are rifles out there that shoot MOA, some rarely, some occasioanlly, some often and some with great regularity. There are still very few that CONSISTENTLY average MOA.
Even among the TSC gang some rifles are known hammers, even though we have to have identifying marks on our rigs just so we will know whos who. As far as I know Jimmy, Steve, Bryan and myself all have identical rifles right down to the rings(except maybe Jimmy's), Rifles and scopes all alike. Out of the four I believe Bryan's rifle to be the best of the four, it has been the most consistent...hell even I can win with that one, that was proven in the last match of 2011. It is interesting to see so much rimfire gun steel in one place, to be tested against such a tough course. The data that has been collected is very telling.
I can tell you what I have gleaned from the data so far. I rue the day that the gentleman from Virginia gets his hands on a good 64MPR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly_punk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"our BEST group..."

"...we OFTEN shoot..."

Tempest455: I mean no disrespect by this, but I guess my philosophy of accuracy standards is based on the idea that we and our equipment are only Really as good as our worst day. I have shot Many five shot groups well under 0.5" at 100 yards with rimfire rifles, but these are not the norm. There is nothing more tempting than "cherry picking" fine groups like the one posted above and using that as the standard of accuracy for the rifle. In reality, we can only guarantee that we will shoot as good as our worst performance. I'm not as impressed with "...often..." as I am, "...I always shoot this well or better."

-Deadly Punk. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">To follow up on this. Yes that's a best round group as posted. But more often than not, groups are 1" or under, even with bulk CCI Blazer. <span style="text-decoration: underline">A good gun and shooter </span>is obviously paramount. It's not his first rodeo, He shoots <span style="text-decoration: underline">A LOT</span> and out shoots most adults I know both on .22 and also .308 at longer distances. He has better than 20/20 vision which is an advantage over most of us. The bottom line is regarding the original question, <span style="text-decoration: underline">yes</span> a .22 can shoot MOA often out <span style="text-decoration: underline">to at least 100 yards, possibly more if the above criteria is met.</span> </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">All of this is contingent on a good day. Add high wind, it all goes out the window. .22's don't tolerate wind very well so we generally we reserve .22 for calm wind days. However, shooting a .22 @ 330 yards in the wind is a heck of a challenge! </span>
smile.gif

One inch groups at 100 yards is possible with a good rifle and a good marksman who is well versed in his/her shooting skills, just as 2" groups at 200 yards are possible.

Keep in mind that the one inch "X" ring on the standard TQ-4 target is only used for tie-breaking scoring. There is nothing wrong with a two inch one hundred yard group. Two inch groups in the center of the target still equals 10 points for each shot put there.

The same holds true for the smallbore 200 yard A-21 target except the "X" ring is two inches, and the 10 ring is four inches. Keep all your shots in the 10 ring at 200 yards and you are shooting excellent.

There's nothing wrong with chasing the smallest groups possible on a given 100 or 200 yard target, but don't lose sight that the "X" ring is only used for tie-breaking scoring, and a 2" ten ring shot at 100 yards, as well as a 4" ten ring shot at 200 yards - are both great shots made at those distances.

I really appreciate (and save to give to newbies) threads like these.
I've a .22WMR rimfire that has recently been the recipient of a decent scope (Hawke Sidewinder Tactical that cost 1.5x the price of the gun). With this I'm hoping to get consistent 1 or 1.25" groups at 100m. Before this I was getting a lot of 2" groups with the cheap Bushnell it came with.
It was frustrating for a long time. I'd get a 1" group and then a whole bunch of 1.5-2" groups. Yet I kept reading all those posts from people claiming the shoot sub 1MOA all day long.
Funny thing was at the range my groups were average...better than what many were doing.
Then a friend of mine clued me in...you are capable of shooting an aggregate of all your groups...a whole lot of people take that one in five (or ten or twenty) 1MOA group and tell everyone who will listen that they (and their gun) are 1MOA shooters.
I guess it all depends on how you want to slice the pie.

I am not capable of maintaining accuracy during the course of the day.
I can't blame it on the rifle. It's all me.
blush.gif

If you want to determine a rifle or ammunition's accuracy
it's necessary to remove the human element from the equation.
Only way to do that is to sandbag the rifle so it can't shift position
or to buy or build a lead sled so that a true determination can be made.

test-rest.JPG

Shooting from a test rest allows for clear/unbiased results
when testing ammunition, scopes and rifles. Load, aim, squeeze.

One drawback to the test rest, get's really boring, watching round after round,
running the same trajectory and going through the same hole,
and knowing that any problems with accuracy are all your fault.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tempest 455</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly_punk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"our BEST group..."

"...we OFTEN shoot..."

-Deadly Punk. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">To follow up on this. Yes that's a best round group as posted. But more often than not, groups are 1" or under, even with bulk CCI Blazer. <span style="text-decoration: underline">A good gun and shooter </span>is obviously paramount. It's not his first rodeo, He shoots <span style="text-decoration: underline">A LOT</span> and out shoots most adults I know both on .22 and also .308 at longer distances. He has better than 20/20 vision which is an advantage over most of us. The bottom line is regarding the original question, <span style="text-decoration: underline">yes</span> a .22 can shoot MOA often out <span style="text-decoration: underline">to at least 100 yards, possibly more if the above criteria is met.</span> </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">All of this is contingent on a good day. Add high wind, it all goes out the window. .22's don't tolerate wind very well so we generally we reserve .22 for calm wind days. However, shooting a .22 @ 330 yards in the wind is a heck of a challenge! </span>
smile.gif
</div></div>

Dependent on where your located in TN you might consider making a trip over with the youngster for a match:

Conover TSC Match

It is one of the most challenging yet funnest rimfire matches I know of. It is a very junior and Family friendly environment. There are a few Jr shooters who often beat a good percentage of the adults (including me on a few occasions
blush.gif
). Cash payout for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd for adults. It sounds like you have the equipment and looking at the video a nice play to get some practice in. Hope you can make it over in 2013.

my cz 452 with manners stock and a 4-16 ffp pst will do moa at 100 with 90+ percent consistancy on a 5 shot group.

i can do sub moa at 150 about 40 percent of the time, and i did sub moa at 175 once but there is no consistancy at that range. these are all 5 shot groups

Shot my CZ 455PT today and this is what I shot .93

11-4-12 (1) by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr
and I found something out the last couple of outtings. My Cz has a inch first shot flyer

11-4-12 (4) by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

11-4-12 (3) by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr
Now that Im sure of it I can take that into account when I shoot matches

Absolutely.

My Remington 40-x and Winchester 52D both shoot MOA @ 100 yards.

Rem 40-x

pkMc7tK.jpg

PXobw1G.jpg

8uFfxvF.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Explorer
Is there a gun with the right shooter and ammo that will shoot MOA? How far out can this be done with consistancy?
Very possible, just depends on how many rounds you fire.
Out to 300yds, possibly farther.

Possible? Absolutely! But it generally takes some work or that occasional batch of luck. How bad do you want it? (AKA what are you willing to spend?)
Shot a 45rd mini-Palma course at 100y this past weekend, missed one point due to wind. :( My smallest 15-rd group was measured at 0.705.
Winner scored 450/450 and we had stock production guns at 444/450.
Note: Using a custom rig with a custom action, benchrest rests, lots of scope magnification and Center-X ammo. No flags (my mistake).

My Remington 40X and Winchester 52D are both former US property rifles. Got
Possible? Absolutely! But it generally takes some work or that occasional batch of luck. How bad do you want it? (AKA what are you willing to spend?)
Shot a 45rd mini-Palma course at 100y this past weekend, missed one point due to wind. :( My smallest 15-rd group was measured at 0.705.
Winner scored 450/450 and we had stock production guns at 444/450.
Note: Using a custom rig with a custom action, benchrest rests, lots of scope magnification and Center-X ammo. No flags (my mistake).
Wind flags are critical for me to get decent groups at 100 yards if there is much wind at all. It seems to take so little wind to blow a .22lr bullet off course.

My Remington 40X and Winchester 52D are both former US Property rifles. Got them fairly cheap and mounted older Bausch and Lomb scopes that I also got fairly cheap.

40X
dZKBvg9.jpg

Eqdc2ut.jpg

52D
jC1RWGV.jpg

EwJ42vt.jpg

10 shot, 100y group from Winchester 52D
ZcCJu5i.jpg

I feel like ammo is the biggest issue for most. My CZ 457 Varmint Chassis MTR with ammo it likes will get close to MOA, or beat it at times. The problem is I always buy a few boxes of some ammo to try, or a new lot to try and by the time I know the gun really likes it, I can't get it in bulk anymore and I'm back to square one.

I have a few boxes of Tac-22 from a year or so ago (new red box) it just LOVES, shoots it better than SK Long Range, Pistol (which it also likes), better than Lapua Long Range etc. Hates Wolf, only 22 I've ever had that did not shoot it reasonably well, doesn't seem to like Eley at all actually. I also had an old lot of SK Long Range when it just came out that it also loved, but newer lots have been disappointing at best.

This is a target from last week, Wolf Match up top, Tac-22 in the middle (5yds). Lapua Long Range bottom Left 10rds, Black square is 1". If I could find more of that lot of Tac-22 I'd buy all I could. Tried a couple newer lots, doesn't shoot nearly as well.

IMG_4385.jpeg

I feel like ammo is the biggest issue for most. My CZ 457 Varmint Chassis MTR with ammo it likes will get close to MOA, or beat it at times. The problem is I always buy a few boxes of some ammo to try, or a new lot to try and by the time I know the gun really likes it, I can't get it in bulk anymore and I'm back to square one.

I have a few boxes of Tac-22 from a year or so ago (new red box) it just LOVES, shoots it better than SK Long Range, Pistol (which it also likes), better than Lapua Long Range etc. Hates Wolf, only 22 I've ever had that did not shoot it reasonably well, doesn't seem to like Eley at all actually. I also had an old lot of SK Long Range when it just came out that it also loved, but newer lots have been disappointing at best.

This is a target from last week, Wolf Match up top, Tac-22 in the middle (5yds). Lapua Long Range bottom Left 10rds, Black square is 1". If I could find more of that lot of Tac-22 I'd buy all I could. Tried a couple newer lots, doesn't shoot nearly as well.

View attachment 8207617
What is the lot of Tac-22?

Shot my weekly .22lr match last Tuesday. We alternate between 50 and 100 yards. Last Tuesday was the 100yard match. Four targets, 5 rounds each. Used my Remington model 40X. Three out of the four targets rendered sub MOA groups. No excuse for the fourth target :(

lF2uhVV.jpg

Last edited:
Rifle newly acquired - https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/soviet-typhoon-3-rifle-Тайфун-3-search-for-information.7180250/
I'm getting used to it. After a rather poor begining with a plinking ammo - 1,06 MOA Fedral Champion LRN 40gr - the best 5-shots group so far with a better quality ammo- 0,67 MOA [ Eley Match, Lapua SK Match, RWS Special Match ammo are still on the list to test, haven't tried them yet ]
Rifle : Soviet Typhoon-3 ( manufacture year unknown - probably begining of the 70s - so the rifle is most likely my peer :D ),
scope : VOMZ Pilad 10x42 LF
Ammo - Eley Benchrest Precision ( semi-auto ) 40gr
Distance : 100m

Typhoon-3 Eley Benchrest  0.67 MOA.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Calfed
MOA at 100? Ten shot groups that average under one inch are possible with decent ammo, a good rifle, and good conditions or wind reading.

Last edited:
One time? Plenty of rifles. EVERY SINGLE TIME? I still haven't seen it. It should be possible once you start paying .80+ cents a round. But this thread is full of people remembering their best group of all time.

What are the winning groups for Rimfire Benchrest?

One time? Plenty of rifles. EVERY SINGLE TIME? I still haven't seen it. It should be possible once you start paying .80+ cents a round. But this thread is full of people remembering their best group of all time.

What are the winning groups for Rimfire Benchrest?
EVERY SINGLE TIME? No.

More often than not? Yes.

Only the best group of all time? Definitely not.

I think the biggest problem is that 99% of people shooing rimfire at 100yds are shooting outside, and people vastly underestimate what winds do to .22 at 100 yds. A 5mph wind can push a std. vel 22LR ~2". That means even a 2mph wind variation while shooting can turn a 0.5MOA 22LR into a 1.5MOA 22LR.

Stack that onto all the other factors we talk about that go into shooting tiny groups, and the inconsistencies in most .22 ammo even high dollar stuff, and it's really not surprising that so many struggle to get sub MOA groups on a regular basis with 22LRs in outdoor conditions.

If you read up on forums on testing results at Eley/Lapua, most competition guys seem to be happy with group sizes between 10-15mm at 50yds (Eley only tests at 50 it seems) by happy I mean they are buying $1000+ quantiles ammo with those results. Those are also outside to outside numbers, not center to center. A 10mm (0.39") outside to outside group is basically a 0.17" center to center group at 50yds. Even a 15mm (0.59") at 50yds is a .37" center to center group.

It would be interesting to see the stats from the Lapua range that has 100yds available what their average groups are with high end ammo, good guns, and top dollar ammo. It would even be more interesting to see what manufacturers/models are most consistent that come in for testing. However, I suspect if that info ever got out some manufacturers would put a stop to it quick. Heck we even have our own SnipersHide withholding optic tracking test info based on manufacturer pressure.

Reactions: Calfed
I shoot LOTS AND LOTS of .22lr at 25, 50 & 100. Went down the ammo testing rabbit hole...bolt and semi auto...scoped and iron sighted...

My best average at 50 yards...over 50 shots (10 - 5 shot groups) was 0.39 inches

Same set up at 100 yards was 0.96 inches

Pretty funny guy. Have no reason to doubt him.

If you do serious lot testing with several brands of match ammo, It’s certainly possible.

Speaks good of the rimX

Somebody F'd up the MOA calculation. Looks like a 50y MOA.

5gRqO1X.jpg

Reactions: doubloon
I asked about consistent submoa at 100 yards with rimfire a while back.
The results aren't what I'd hoped for, but were what I expected. ;)

And this is a group at 250 meters, first round on right edge, following 9 rounds very close to the center, with no reference on the target and shooting to the target still moving after the impacts is a nice results

Attachments

• IMG_8024.jpeg
    IMG_8024.jpeg
    776.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8336.jpeg
    IMG_8336.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • DB65EF2A-96C7-4338-9902-45E303EC3306.jpeg
    DB65EF2A-96C7-4338-9902-45E303EC3306.jpeg
    559.4 KB · Views: 19