• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

moa at 1000yrds

Humdawg

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2011
Ohio
Looking for some loads,I have a 308 bolt gun,26" barrel,1 in 12 twist, using lapua brass and have these powders varget,2520,imr 4064 and r-15, the elevation around here is 1100-1200 feet

Re: moa at 1000yrds

Work up some loads for your particular rifle. Keep the FPS at or above 2650 FPS and you should be fine.

I hit mine with 178gr A-Max over 44gr Varget loaded to 0.02 off the lands. At a much higher elevation though. This load for my rifle was a .3MOA at 100 yrds and .4MOA at 200yrds. That was the longest I could shoot paper at my local range.

Not sure what your title means "MOA at 1000 yrds".

With a wind on my back, I believe my dope was at 38.5 minutes. But when the wind shifted to in my face, I think I was at 47 minutes.

Is that what you meant?

There are plenty of loads that will hold 1MOA at 1000 yards, shooters that can keep up with the loads are more scarce.

An MOA sized target at 1k is not exactly an 'easy' shot. You can do it, sometimes on the first try if you're good, always on the second if you know how to drive the rifle and have solid fundamentals.

There is a misconception though that if you spend enough money in the right places the rifle and ammo will magically endow you with the ability to shoot a 1MOA target at 1000 yards 'all day long' and, unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

Rich

10 inches roughly.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10 inches roughly.
smile.gif
</div></div>

10.471996", a little less roughly.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10 inches roughly.
smile.gif
</div></div>

10.471996", a little less roughly....... </div></div>

This hits it squarely on the head.

178 AMAX
44 gr. Varget
CCI BR primer
Match Prep brass
0.02 off the lands 2,650 fps

Fired from a tried and true M24
NF 5.5-22x56 NPR1
LOTS OF PRACTICE!

The "X" ring on a 1000 yard target is 1moa. The "10" ring is 2 moa.

Guys regularly shoot 9 out of 10 into the ten ring after sighters (which can be anywhere from one to ten shots, depending on the day).

Shooting a lot of "Xs" is another story. Our best shooters might have a 14X on their best days (i.e. two, twenty shot strings).

So, 1 moa at a thousand is a theoretical possibility, but in practice is very, very unlikely.

Our 1K steel is an 18" circle, and we usually hit it, regular like.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what your title means "MOA at 1000 yrds".

With a wind on my back, I believe my dope was at 38.5 minutes. But when the wind shifted to in my face, I think I was at 47 minutes.

Is that what you meant?
</div></div>

Tell us more, or is this a typo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what your title means "MOA at 1000 yrds".

Is that what you meant?
</div></div>

Tell us more, or is this a typo? </div></div>

Sounds about right depending on the wind speed...

I'm lost, an 8&1/2 moa shift because of wind direction????

Sorry for delay in response,thanks for your info-sweet spot for this rig seems to be around 41.7-42 grains imr 4064-.030 of lands-br-2 primer-185 berger,I put the tube in a ax aics chasis,learning now how to spot weld my eye to the glass,this old dog is still learning new tricks.

Sorry for delay in getting back to you,Was looking for a general starting point that others were loading to,that they felt was getting them one inch moa results at 1000 yrds, I know that every tube has its own appetite,but needed a base line to start off on, and I think that I have found that yellow brick road.

To all, thank you for your feedback,I enjoy this science

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10 inches roughly.
smile.gif
</div></div>

10.471996", a little less roughly....... </div></div>

1 MOA at any distance is 1 MOA, stop trying to convert angular measurements to inches, in order to to be to shoot small groups at long distances one need to produce a load that has single digit SD and ES.

Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55
10 inches roughly.

10.471996", a little less roughly.......

I don't even remember posting that. This thread is that old??

And damnit!!! I'll convert whatever I feel like needs converting! You know like a chick who has swore to live a celibate life.

What would you suggest in a hunting bullet around the 180 grain weight,but not over 190 grain,with a range out to 1000 yrds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Humdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would you suggest in a hunting bullet around the 180 grain weight,but not over 190 grain,with a range out to 1000 yrds? </div></div>

Berger 185 VLDs