• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report MOA questions and different rifles

SmokeRolls

Nobody important
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
I recently purchased a 300 WSM custom rifle built by Ryan Kelsey at Christensen Arms. I loaded up some hand loads and at 100 yards I shot 4 shots and I got a .182 group ( center to center.). Now if my math is correct, this is a sub 1/4" moa gun or ??? I actually think I can improve on this group with some range time. I thoroughly cleaned the bore with Sweets 7.26 and then dry patched it out and then shot a fouling shot and then dry patched and let the rifle cool to ambient temp before firing each shot for the group. I understand that so many variables play into effect when shooting at say 1000 yards but I am new to venturing beyond 300 yards. Does the 1/4" MOA gun at 100 yards equal to a 1/4" MOA gun at 1000 yards if everything flys right? Just currious...SmokeRolls

Re: MOA questions and different rifles

first off good shooting. looks like a winner. please do us both a favor and either avoid the sweets 7.62 or thoughly clean the sweets out with oil soaked patches, it has a very high ammonia content and if not removed will promote fire cracking in that new bbl. i've seen too many bbls that are badly fire cracked and when asked the shooter says they use sweets..... it can be avoided just use it right or not at all.

as far as the moa @ 100 vs 1000. it has to do with ammo as much as the gun. benchrest shooters punch tiny hols all day long with flat based bullets..... not so good @ 1k.

It was used right...I thoroughly neutralize the ammonia and I treat the barrel because I have a healthy fear of ruining a good barrel....But thanks for adding that in...SmokeRolls

You have your terminology confused when you say 1/4" MOA gun at any range.

An MOA (short for Minute Of Angle) is a measure that does not have a distance, it is a measure of subtension. A circle has 360 degrees and each degree has 60 minutes for a total of 21,600 MOAs. For a circle where the radius is 100 yards, the circumference is (3600 inches * 2 * Pi) or 22,619.5 inches.

If you divide the circumference of the circle, 22619.5 by the number of MOAs in a circle, 21600, you get 1.047 inches per MOA for a circle with a radius of 100 yards. Fos simplicity sake, many people this of an MOA as 1 inch at 100 yards and for longer distances, simply multiply this by the number of hundred yards of distance.

200 Yard MOA is 2 inches, 300 Yard MOA is 3 inches and so on.

At 1000 yards, the MOA will be 10.47 inches or close enough to 10 inches.

funny....................i always thought fire cracking had something to do with fire crackers....

and

cross checking had something to do with excessive heat......

What bullet are you shooting with? That's a great group at 100, but you don't know how well it will shoot at distance until you try it. I've had great groups at 100, but they opened up at 300+. Sometimes the bullet needs to settle down before you will truely know. The heavier bullets for caliber (180 grains + for 308) would be the one's I would test. Sometimes the load that shoots best long range is not the tack driver at 100, but is acceptable.

My load is 168 SMK, Norma brass,210M primer, IMR 4350 (64.5 grains. All is digitally weighed and sorted and then grouped for consistancy, even after bullets are loaded.... I'm just trying hard to do all that I can to start squeezing the consistancy out of this rifle. I will be stepping up to heavier grain bullets somewhere in the 178-185 grain for longer range shooting. This rifle has produced a 1.25 group center to center at 400 yards so far. I just replaced the 8.5X 25X Leupy Tactical LR with a Night Force 8 X 32 NPR-1 RR and some USO rings and it looks like it's going to be even easier to see the targets at extended ranges as long as I can hold it still enough......Breath, exhale, pull one off...........snap !....Thanks for any and all help or even scolding......It's all good......SmokeRolls