• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mobile Reloading Setup

Shrubjr

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2013
I live a highly mobile lifestyle, with lots of hours to kill at work. I'm thinking of trying to build a mobile reloading setup that basically fits in a plastic tote allowing me to reload at work, in front of the TV at home, or in the camp trailer during a rain storm with a minimum of unpacking. I'm aware of the wilson stuff, but I don't really want to neck-size. I'd love to hear some ideas from you guys??

I am thinking of going with a Lee hand press, and a Century 21 priming tool. I'm not sure what scale, powder thrower, or trickler will best suit this application though. Some thoughts would be appreciated.

I was thinking maybe I could attach the scale to a homemade ply-wood leveling base with threaded feet for leveling.

Anyway, would love to hear your ideas. Is there someone out there that does this already? If so, hows it working out for ya?

Thanks!

I've been thinking about buying an RCBS Summit press, and while doing some research I found this video:

Something like that would take up more room (and cost more) than a Lee hand press, but would be a lot more capable.

I want to resurrect this thread in the hopes that someone has a similar setup. I'd like to be able to charge and seat bullets into prepped and primes cases at the range to make load development more efficient. Anybody have a system they'd like to share?

C-Clamp loading bench.
Portable-press.jpg

I'm trying to decide if this is a joke ... in my wildest dreams, I can't imagine how reloading at the range would be "more convenient" than doing it in the reloading room at home.

Reactions: Nbleak21
It's not really about convenience.
Some people have to drive more than an hour to get to a place to shoot.

Getting set up to powder and seat bullets allows them to do load development in one trip and they don't have to load a bunch of different shit up, only to find out it doesn't work for them.

Go to the range with pre-primed brass, load powder charge and seat a bullet.

They can then concentrate on charges and seating depth.

Here's a couple of ideas:
Screenshot_20221030-103043_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221030-103153_Chrome.jpg

You need a place to put the scale to shield it from breezes.

A Harrell's measure can be used if you know what each click is worth beforehand.

Here's a less messy version of the first image.

Screenshot_20221030-103432_Chrome.jpg

Accurateshooter.com has plans for building portable setups.

Reactions: acudaowner
I used the workmate thing for several years.

I taught school in Bush Alaska. If there was anything of any apparent value left behind for the summer, it would be stolen while you were out. It might get stolen if you were gone for just a few days. 3 or 4 generations of government dole has developed the Native Alaskan into being MUCH like the Urban scum of the lower 48.

So...when I'd pack up for the summer, I took everything of true value with me or shipped it and stored everything else in a shared shipping container (Conex box).

I used a piece of 2x6 attached to a double layer of 3/4 plywood about 30x30 glued and screwed all together. The 2x6 would be clamped in the Workmate. I could also then use it for the summer but rarely did. Admittedly, it was not even remotely close to being as sturdy or stable as the bench I have now but it most definitely worked. To do it over, I'd use the T-track stuff on it as well.

I keep my dream alive thinking about a mobile home turned into a mobile home / reloading platform with a metal lathe and gun smithing shop all inside .

Reactions: Rocketvapor
Guy I know, benchrest shooter reloads at the range. Uses a Rcbs chargemaster and this small 2 station press he clamps to
a picnic bench. Similar to the one in the pic.

1667263236123.png

Last edited:
TheC4M3RON. If they're still in production. Think wooden, H-shaped box with a SS mounting plate. Can fill sandbags/ziplocks, whatever up to 25lbs and stabilize your press. Moves from countertop to countertop. I used to run it from my living room or kitchen table, even the patio. Last pic shows perfect size to stick a couple heavy ammo cans if you choose not to fill interior with sand or go lighter sand for easier transport.

Attachments

• 5963290A-30E8-4742-BB6A-75E9A9F219AE.jpeg
    5963290A-30E8-4742-BB6A-75E9A9F219AE.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 86
  • B5A9F432-A9FD-4B91-BCE6-C87C99176491.jpeg
    B5A9F432-A9FD-4B91-BCE6-C87C99176491.jpeg
    438.1 KB · Views: 105
  • B6774E00-4E4E-48D0-80C2-7F6910164349.jpeg
    B6774E00-4E4E-48D0-80C2-7F6910164349.jpeg
    502.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 8E7865A0-2589-4912-944D-7B90CDA9C62C.jpeg
    8E7865A0-2589-4912-944D-7B90CDA9C62C.jpeg
    461.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Reactions: Schütze and buggz
TheC4M3RON. If they're still in production. Think wooden, H-shaped box with a SS mounting plate. Can fill sandbags/ziplocks, whatever up to 25lbs and stabilize your press. Moves from countertop to countertop. I used to run it from my living room or kitchen table, even the patio. Last pic shows perfect size to stick a couple heavy ammo cans if you choose not to fill interior with sand or go lighter sand for easier transport.
That looks cool, what press is that?

I'm trying to decide if this is a joke ... in my wildest dreams, I can't imagine how reloading at the range would be "more convenient" than doing it in the reloading room at home.
There is a trade off in most things in life isn't there...

For the trouble of learning to load at the range, you get the convenience of a solid confirmed answer without circling back to the bench over and over. It is work to haul all that stuff without a doubt, but if you have ever visited a BR match you will see it isn't really difficult technically.

Once the bbl has settled in, you can find your charge and depth within a day at the range. Once you have done enough load development on enough barrels, you get better at it with experience. Loading at the range just shortens the decision loop if you know what you are doing. YMMV

Reactions: Modoc
Not even.

Several years ago, we managed a little country range, which was leased to a local dentist. He was part of a group that shot vintage style, bench rest single shot rifles. They used the same piece of brass for every shot. Sized and primed the case then charged the rounds using a high quality powder throw, seated the cast bullet and fired the next round.

Their accuracy was amazing and of course, they had to load at the range.

I see no issue with having a portable loading assembly. The question about convenience is moot. But if the results are not what is expected, trying a different combination at the range would be a lot easier than driving 20 miles home, or 60 miles or 100 miles home. Myself, I load at home, but I can see how it would be a benefit.

I like that. Might purchase one for loading in our home when it is just too cold to load in the shop. Move my large primer 550 to this bench.

Now my two 550’s are not nearly as clean as yours. Keep them dust free and well oiled but I suppose, loading cast bullets for a decade on one and two+ decades on the other, allows the finish to be not so pristine. Loaded 44 magnums on the large primer press last night. A dream to use.

Reactions: Lthrt
Portable electronic scale. Lee hand press. Box feet are adjustable to help level. Use portable jump box and power converter. Works for me.

20210220_131531.jpg

Set that up in an auto drive tesla and load on the way to the match
There is, despite the popular media’s frequent ctitiques, a lot to like about Louisiana. Buit…many Louisiana roads would not be terribly conducive to accurate reloading.

RE: The C4M3RON. If they're still in production.

Anyone find a reliable source for these?
Seems like the manufacters domain name is for sale...

I bet I could use a power converter with my Chargemaster Pro with my truck's engine running. I like the little table idea. Some butcher block and a few short table legs from Lowes and I'd be in business. I guess my only concern would be a level surface for the chargemaster.

How can I use the tailgate of my truck as a table? I smell a winter project coming on....