• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Modern Day Sniper, Wind Reading Seminar, Yakima, WA April 9-10

CaylenW

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 29, 2017
Cowiche, WA
moderndaysniper.com
Register HERE!!

Course Title: Wind Reading Clinic

Maximum Number of Tickets: 10x

Course MSRP: $500 (+$50 Range Fee, Payable in cash on the final day of training. Range fee varies with course location.)

Course Duration: 2 Days

Course Description:

Definition: Dy·nam·ic (adj) /dīˈnamik/ (of a process or system) characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.

Wind. The single-most difficult aspect of long range shooting to understand and grab ahold of. It’s the largest variable that we have to deal with as precision shooters, and it’s the definition of dynamic. There’s lots of ways out there to teach shooters how to call the wind, but we’ve decided to put together a 2 day package that focuses solely on understanding the dynamic of wind. We wanted to create this course because we’ve found that trying to communicate the process of wind reading and compensation to students while they’re learning so many other skills in another course results in a bit of a mental meltdown. When that happens, humans tend to just start going through the motions and that’s toxic for learning. We wanted to create a course specific to wind where we could focus on just reading wind and shooting in it.

There’s so many aspects to fluid dynamics that it’s impossible to cram it all into a 2 day package, and not geek out on the science of it. What we want to do is communicate to you what we’ve learned over the years that matters with wind. Getting into the minuscia of wind is kind of necessary to grasp the principals of it, but there comes a time where you just have to stop overthinking it and shoot. You’re going to miss, and probably a lot at first but missing is how we learn.

You’ll come away with some valuable training tools that you can use to continue your eye/brain calibration, how to establish a mile-per-hour value for your particular rifle and ammunition, and how to interpret all the visual cues you can grab so you can make the most accurate first-round firing solution possible.

What you’ll learn:
  • How to establish wind speed
  • Wind speed training drills
  • How to establish wind values and what the multiples are
  • How to build a custom hasty wind number for your rifle and ammunition
  • How to interpret mirage cues
  • How to interpret other visual cues
  • Understanding basic weather patterns for accurate forecasting
  • Using technology to assist
  • Micro-weather patterns and flows

Reactions: sarawut
I originally signed up for this course and paid for it, but it ended up being canceled due to the Covid19 shutdown. When it was canceled, I got an email saying that I would receive credit for a future class.

I registered for the July class, but want to make sure you're cool with applying that credit from April, to this class. Is that OK?

Edited to add:
I just got an email from MDS confirming that it's all taken care of. Thanks Caylen!

Last edited:
Yep, big +1 here. Caylen and Phil are a couple of master practitioners who are still very much students of the art, and they share a genuine love of teaching. They each have that rare ability to communicate their knowledge in a way that makes learning seem like just being reminded of something that you have always known. The class curriculum was well thought-out and designed so that information was put into practice shortly after it was delivered.

The conditions stepped up big time. We saw everything from a big blow that complicated communication between shooter and observer (driving home a point that was made earlier in the day) to devilishly tricky fishtailing winds that showed up for an hour or two each day. The range is ideally situated to catch wind from all points of the compass.

All in all, a couple of days very well spent. Lots of laughter, lots of learning, and an investment that will pay dividends every minute that I spend with a rifle going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike4837
This was a great class, I highly recommend it.

Both Caylen and Phil did a great job as instructors. Their method of teaching was excellent; explain and demonstrate a skill, then allow the students plenty of time for practical application as the they go from student to student helping and making corrections.

The way Caylen designed this course, there's no way you can take it without fully learning the material. On the 2nd day, each student will spend some time behind the spotting scope making wind calls for his classmates, then even more time spotting for Caylen and Phil themselves, while they engage targets.
Then, after your start feeling all confident in your wind calls, getting your shooter 1st round hits in some gnarly wind, you'll move-on to making your own wind calls and self-spotting through your rifle scope.

This class was money well-spent, and a helluva lot of fun. Caylen and Phil did not disappoint!

Reactions: Ruggedtouch