• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modify HS Precision stock or new stock?

Modify HS Precision stock or new stock?

• Badger M5 + Paint Job

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • New Manners w/ DBM Chassis

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Chassis System (AICS, etc)

• Just shoot it.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NUTT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I have a Remington M 700 5R, cut down to 22", threaded w/ TBAC Brake installed, FDE cerakote, Timney trigger installed (all done by Hill Country Rifles) that is still in the original HS Precision stock.

I like the stock but would like to go to a detachable mag system and maybe something with a better hand position. I have a few options....

Send the stock off to Badger for an M5 then send the stock off to be painted (~ $600)
Buy a new Manners w/ a mini-chassis (~ $900)
Buy a chassis system (~ $900 +)
Just shoot the damn thing as is ($0)

What sayeth the 'Hide?

only you can really make that call...if the hand position doesn't work for you then that answers it. My vote is Manners or maybe XLR. The you have the decision of tradition pistol grip, vertical or AR style as with the chassis

Is there a "Send the stock to me, obviously you don't like it" choice? Money no object for me I'd get the Manners.

Last edited:
Chassis system will be a very different type of stock. So either you want a chassis or you don't. That is a different question.

Inlet the HSP would be cheapest option. I would simply paint it myself to save money. The only time I have professionals paint stuff is to make parts more rust resistance. The stock is already weather proof. If you genuinely like the stock, then this is the best choice. A smith in your area could do the job and you would have the stock back in no time at all.

A few hundred extra does get you the Manners. Manners are great: You will be able to build the stock exactly how you want it. Negative is that you will have to wait 3+ months to get it.

I have a Remington M 700 5R, cut down to 22", threaded w/ TBAC Brake installed, FDE cerakote, Timney trigger installed (all done by Hill Country Rifles) that is still in the original HS Precision stock.

I like the stock but would like to go to a detachable mag system and maybe something with a better hand position. I have a few options....

Send the stock off to Badger for an M5 then send the stock off to be painted (~ $600)
Buy a new Manners w/ a mini-chassis (~ $900)
Buy a chassis system (~ $900 +)
Just shoot the damn thing as is ($0)

What sayeth the 'Hide?

All depends on what you wanna do with the detachable mag, faster followup shot for hunting, tactical comps, etc etc. if it's just target practice or 600yd BR id leave it as is, anything other get the Manners.

Theres a lot of top end stocks out there that are better but the hs 5r stock is a bit of a gem.
Nice grip angle and the forend is a really good shape

If you like the stock, send it off and have it cut for the M5. If you are on the fence about the stock, go with the Manners. I had my HS stock cut for the M5, wouldn't go back now.

Option 5, send it to Jeff at CDi and he will inlet it for his DBM. Great guy to deal with and amazing turnaround times.

Nutt,
if your 5r stock is builded like the HS on the Varmint models of some year ago (as mine), I would be quite cautious about some deep custom modifications,being that inside this is some kind of funny black stuff/foam (?), well different from the outside shell_ that said without bashing the OEM stock and the quite good,even if not stellar,alu.inner action bed, nor doubting about the services from well reputed gunsmiths_
For sure, being that from $600 to $900 the pain couldn't change of much, on my opinion I would tighten my choice between $900,buyin'something new, and $0,without the need of sendin'away your rifle for any time, on both these last options_

Last edited:
Thanks to all. The input is very much appreciated.

I really like the following option:

Inlet the HSP would be cheapest option. I would simply paint it myself to save money. The only time I have professionals paint stuff is to make parts more rust resistance. The stock is already weather proof. If you genuinely like the stock, then this is the best choice. A smith in your area could do the job and you would have the stock back in no time at all.

I just went through this same thing. While the HS-stock is nice and of high quality it simply did not feel right to me. The grip just does not work with my hands.

I narrowed my choices to three. Manners with dbm chassis, McMillan a5, or the AICS 2.0

Hope I made the right choice as my new AICS 2.0 is out on the truck for delivery today.