• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

modifying grip/palm swell on AICS stock

PaulStafford

Sergeant
Minuteman
I just got an AICS 2.0 stock. I really like it except that the grip is placed/sized so that when gripping with a straight wrist, my trigger finger touches the trigger on the second joint. I can put the trigger finger in the right place by bending my wrist, but it feels awkward.

I'd prefer that the grip (palm swell?) would be slight larger and shaped so as to move my finger to the proper position naturally.

Any ideas as to how (material/process) to build up the grip? I've thought of modeling clay to get the right shape, followed by fiberglassing, then removing the clay and screwing resulting fiberglass shape to stock. Has anyone else gone down this road? Any simpler methods? Any after market solutions? I don't want to use athletic tape or other temporary solution.

Re: modifying grip/palm swell on AICS stock

Do you use a shooting glove? Velcro something to the palm of your glove to get the effect you want.

My friend did the fiberglass method on the 700 tactical because it had the sporter grip. It felt very good after he finished, but it only lasted a year before it broke in half where he screwed it in. You may want to add a layer of something that will keep it intact longer.

I had the same issue. I learned that those chassis really aren't made for people with larger hands. To actually get my finger on the trigger from a resting point on the guard I had to reposition my whole hand because my second knuckle hit the bolt knob. Sporter grips aren't much better. From now on it's an A4/A5 or pistol grip for me.

I thought about beefing it up but wasn't sure what to do. If you like an A4 or A5 style, I guess worst case you can plug the thumbhole, wrap it in electrical tape and rest your thumb on the right side of the stock a la A4s and A5s.

Gray Marine Tex....

Build it up as needed, file/sand to fit....repaint.

Permanent solution to the problem......

Wow, that RAT Grip product looks like the perfect solution! perfect customization, and removable/reusable as necessary. I think I will try that and report back. thanks ashland!

BTW, Thebearrrrjew- my hands are actually not that large. I am surprised and would have expected the opposite problem.

Paul, someone on the Hide suggested it to me when I had a similar issue with another type of stock. I never did try it but it looked like what I needed at the time. Let us know how it works.

Stafford, if that doesn't work, try Marine Tex. I've had good results. Great traction and you mold it to suit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at www.ratgrips.com </div></div>

99.95 for there ugly ass "sniper grip" I'm all set. I might try something like a sheet AGRIP with some foam or something under it.

http://www.brookstactical.com/Pages/contact.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got an AICS 2.0 stock. I really like it except that the grip is placed/sized so that when gripping with a straight wrist, my trigger finger touches the trigger on the second joint. I can put the trigger finger in the right place by bending my wrist, but it feels awkward.

I'd prefer that the grip (palm swell?) would be slight larger and shaped so as to move my finger to the proper position naturally.

Any ideas as to how (material/process) to build up the grip? I've thought of modeling clay to get the right shape, followed by fiberglassing, then removing the clay and screwing resulting fiberglass shape to stock. Has anyone else gone down this road? Any simpler methods? Any after market solutions? I don't want to use athletic tape or other temporary solution.</div></div>

lipstick on a pig, thats what its called when you get shit that don't work for you and you engineer some slip shod add-on goo and make it look totally tactical, then,,,,,,don't forget to take a picture of this birth defect by the celebrity hot tub.....

i'll go get the popcorn now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, 9 helpful comments out of 10 isn't bad. </div></div>

I think what boltripper is trying to convey to you is that you should get something that works for you in the first place. The AICS/AI style works great for some and poorly for others. Most that fall into the "poorly" category sell it and get something that fits. It is tough to overcome a poorly fitting stock. The AICS holds its value well and you could probably scrounge near the amount of money you spent out of it if you sold it. Then, get something like a McMillan/Manners/etc that fits better. It sucks to make a poor choice. That is why I like to try before I buy if at all possible.

That's all he was saying.

Josh

+1 on Boltripper's and MinorDamage's comments.

While you may be able to "rig" a solution to your problem with the AICS, it is still an issue of the stock not being well-suited to you for one reason or another. If you want to try to rig something up, I would try to do something that won't permanently damage/modify the skins so that when it fails or otherwise doesn't quite work out, then you can get your money back out of the chassis and move to something that fits you properly. There are lots of fish in the sea and the AICS is but one option. There are numerous other chassis systems, not to mention high quality stocks from companies like McMillan and Manners.

thanks Minor Damage, ORD

I understand and appreciate what you're saying, and even more, the way you communicated it
smile.gif

Living where I do, there is very little opportunity to sample before buying, ideal though that would be.

There is another backstory here about a different stock I ordered back in October that did not fit the action, and only in the last few weeks got a solution together. I did not want to enter the shooting season (my first) without something in hand, so I chose an industry standard stock with adjustable cheek piece and LOP, so the chances of fitting were maximized. The grip is the only thing that didn't fit right. I was surprised at the reaction of one, given the degree of customization seen on the hide with respect to just about everything else.

I am only contemplating solutions that are not irreversible (RAT, after-market replacement skins), so if I still find the problem significant, I can sell the AICS without a problem. In the meantime, I will get to shoot, which is what it's all about, anyway.

Another option might be to try the old comb raising option. Find some old mousepads (or similarly soft/flexible material) and cut it into contoured sections that will give you more girth on the side of the stock. Then once you have enough layers of material, secure it with electrical tape or similar "high-tech"/"space age" bonding strips.
wink.gif

The RAT stuff is just too damned expensive for what it is (starting at around $30+S&H) and I loathe paying for crap I can replicate on my own.

You might try what some competitive pistol shooters do; wad or twist strips of medical tape up until they are the thickness you want the palm swell to be, place them against the grip where you want the swells, then wrap athletic tape around the grip and the swells to hold them in place.

That way you can at least see if the palm swells fix the issue before you decide whether or not to take further action.

I tried the RAT grips cheapest kit, the SPRR at $13.95.

I chose this solution first because it is cheap, quick, and removable (preserving resale). If something else (eg alternate skins) comes along, I'll take a look.

It was pretty easy to do- simply heat with a heat gun and molding over the grip area. Took about 15 minutes to get it right. One nice thing is if you don't like the shape, you can just re-heat in place and change it.

I am pretty happy with the improvement of the grip- my trigger finger now falls comfortably, exactly where it should, which can only help repeatability, NPA etc..

Only time will tell about adhesion, but it seems secure for now. There are additional things you can do to increase adhesion, but I'll wait and see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another answer might be to shoot with an "open grip" technique as seen done by those who use the AR platform precision rifles at times...

your thumb does not wrap around the pistol grip...just a thought.

wink.gif

</div></div>
That is what I do. I have large hands and most guns do not fit my hands well.

Why not put a trigger shoe on it? It's got to be a nicer fix than gluing stuff to the stock.