• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modifying the MS2 sling with the VTAC sling

saryan

GreyFox Inc
Minuteman
I am posting this from my phone so forgive any typos.
I like my Viking tactics 2 point Padded sling. Its served me very well. I don't like the fact that transitioning to weak side is almost impossible without having a ton of slack.
I like the magpul MS2 slings ability to transition to weak side and keep slung while shooting ackward positions. I also like that I can go from a one or two point configuration if needed. 2 point for long periods, single point for dynamics. I dont like the adjustment of length. Not as quick as the vikings. I also don't like that the material for the sling is not padded and when carrying a heavy rifle it sucks. I am a full time firearms instructor. I am slung up most of the day the 3 days a week I teach carbine. I use my LMT MWS alot more now and it's not very light.
I took what I liked about the MS2 and what I liked about the Vikings and combined them. Now I have a padded MS2 with better adjustments. I will be running this today and throughout the next month. So far it's much more comfortable and adjustable. If I have issues I'll update.

88aad8bc.jpg

fb38199a.jpg

Re: Modifying the MS2 sling

That is a nice sling and looks strong but light also.
The Sling just screams para-rigging for sewing background on the sewing-style of person who design/built it . Quality type-17, 1-inch webbing & the Swedish release RSL/shackle is a nice touch & they are strong also but not cheep.
I really like the looks of it. I will be making one for myself also from seeing it. ....thanks

Looks like you have address the biggest complaint that I (and I know many others) have with the MS2!! The MS2 is a good design, but is majorly flawed in exactly the areas that your upgrades are designed to remedy. I still can't believe that Magpul released this sling with such a thin/narrow strap and zero padding. Running one on a heavier carbine (or a 308 variant) is a real pain in the neck (literally) if you have your weapon slung for extended periods. I'll be interested to hear your report after some addt'l use.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">MAGPUL - - - PAY ATTENTION!!!!! WATCH AND LEARN FOR THE MS3 AND FUTURE MS2 "UPGRADES"!!!!!</span></span>

Improvision, just beautiful! I actually thought about this very modification using my Blue Force sling, beat me to the punch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WTC343</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you using as a forward attachment point on the rail? </div></div>
Right now just a QD swivel. I will add the official magpul attachment later.

This summer I modded a padded US Grunt Gear sling to do exactly the same thing. Can be used as 2 points or one. I used a mash clip and a HK hook but same idea. Works fantastic. I'll try and get a pic.

It's like you married Kyle Lamb to Travis Haley or Chris Costa. The V-tac sling still looks serviceable on it's own. Is the magpul sling salvageable?

I have concer with Steve. I use a MS2 sling while working overseas, and have the same issues with how narrow the webing is. The only thing that helps is that my body armor takes most the weight. I've been thinking of do such a mod to my sling also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's like you married Kyle Lamb to Travis Haley or Chris Costa. The V-tac sling still looks serviceable on it's own. Is the magpul sling salvageable? </div></div>

That sounds right. But when you use it it's more like Chuck Norris made it.

Its nothing but a strap now. I might attach it to my camera actually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have concer with Steve. I use a MS2 sling while working overseas, and have the same issues with how narrow the webing is. The only thing that helps is that my body armor takes most the weight. I've been thinking of do such a mod to my sling also. </div></div>

It's a lot more stable due to the added width. Sucks you have to buy two slings to make one good one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moneey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just came across this accessory and it seems to address the issue you just mentioned without using two slings. Haven't tried it yet but will look into it.

http://mount-n-slot.com/

1-2 pt triglide. </div></div>

That is a great idea!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Aryan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moneey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just came across this accessory and it seems to address the issue you just mentioned without using two slings. Haven't tried it yet but will look into it.

http://mount-n-slot.com/

1-2 pt triglide. </div></div>

That is a great idea! </div></div>

Yep, someone was thinking when they came up with that one.

I've used the mount-n-slot products they are top shelf.

Magpul would take good lesson to pay attention to this for whatever they produce after the MS2... I had the same idea a while back but never actually tried to produce it as it meant buying two products to get what I really wanted. I bought an MS2 and ended up useing it on a long (rough and unexpected) hike. The strap width bothered me after about the first 4 and by 6 I was changing shoulders pretty often due to how thin it was. This uncomfort doesnt even address the adjustability issue that the vtac fixes.

This is perfect for what I want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Magpul would take good lesson to pay attention to this for whatever they produce after the MS2... I had the same idea a while back but never actually tried to produce it as it meant buying two products to get what I really wanted. I bought an MS2 and ended up useing it on a long (rough and unexpected) hike. The strap width bothered me after about the first 4 and by 6 I was changing shoulders pretty often due to how thin it was. This uncomfort doesnt even address the adjustability issue that the vtac fixes.

This is perfect for what I want. </div></div>

Magpul or VTAC should pay attention. Odds are if Magpul built it it would be a prototype for 5 years, 100 would then be released at $5,000 each, then they would sell the design to Uncle Mikes who would use the original sling design and sell it for $200.
grin.gif

Re: Modifying the MS2 sling with the VTAC sling

This thread came up when doing a search on modifying the MS2 sling. I have been running this sling for about a year now and love the flexibility that it offers, but cant stand the material that the sling itself is made from. Its a pain to get on, its uncomfortable to wear, ect. I saw a part of Travis Haley's new video the other day since he's left magpul, and he's using some kinda homemade version of what looks to be a Blue Force or a VTAC sling with MS2 parts added. Would love to do something like this, but it gives new meaning to " one is none and two is one."

Re: Modifying the MS2 sling with the VTAC sling

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baddoggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its kinda like this tacstrap </div></div>
that website needs a little work, I cant even get a good picture of what the sling looks like.