• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Modular sleeping bags really dumb question.

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
Just picked up a really nice Snugpak modular sleeping bag system. It consists of a 30 degree bag and a 15 degree bag, an expandable baffle zipper, a bivy bag and a compression bag. All put together its rated to sub 20 comfort and sub 30 extreme. Also plan on a silk liner to add another 10-15 to the system.

Now I have used military sub zero bags but not the modular EWCS system so I have to ask if it matters which bag goes into which. Seems that the lighter (30 degree) should go inside the heavier (15 degree) bag. Can't see how it would matter either way but figure I would ask to be on the safe side.

Re: Modular sleeping bags really dumb question.

yeah, the lighter one goes in the bigger one with woobie wrapped around you if its really cold.

Thats what I thought too. Now that I have been messing with it for the last hour I just figured out that the zippers on the bags are configured so the only way to nest them is with the heavy bag inside the lighter bag.

Go figure they drive on the wrong side of the road there as well (bags are made in the UK).

I Don't know anything about modular sleeping bags, but it occurs to me that you could turn the zipped together bags inside out to get the heavy bag on the outside. Would be interesting to see what difference it makes.

couple of things: what does all that weigh? - usually those combos end up heavy for the realistic temp value

and do not believe any claims that a silk liner will add 10-15 F - it takes loft to add real temp value, the main advantage to a liner is that it keeps dirt/sweat/body oils out of the insulation and is easier to clean

I have one of these setups. The stuff sack has instructions on the bottom and mine was still legible. Black inside (heavy), Green next (light), then Gortex.

Hope that helps.