• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moly Bullets "The Black Death "

tipper

Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
CA
Just did it, POF P308.
Here is the deal I've have 1000 rds. of Blackhills Match 168 & 175 Moly, half an half. They set way back in closet. bought them cheap, was going to try in FT/R never did.
Has anybody run moly or would run moly bullets in an AR.

Last edited:
I have 900rds of the Moly I think they are Hornady AMAX's...I plan on shooting them out of my 308 AR. I dont foresee any problems but if I might I would like to know now.

Really, no assholes to assholes with this. Lets stir the pot.

I used them all the time when I was competing in High Power. No problems and shot many thousands of rounds. I used brake cleaner to flush out my barrel and gas tube before cleaning.

I used them all the time when I was competing in High Power. No problems and shot many thousands of rounds. I used brake cleaner to flush out my barrel and gas tube before cleaning.

This is what I want to know.
Did you gain enough to make worth
Did you run DI or Piston, was the bolt & carrier easy to clean
Any pro or cons would help

I don't have any personal experience with them, but was told by an avid long range guy that the benefit from moly coating is more a marketing ploy. Also you run the risk of the moly building up in the barrel so you have to clean it out regularly. ....so I don't really know what the benefit would be running them. The LR guys don't seem to use them.

Really no benefit to them I can see. I probably shot 2000 7.62 175 and 3000 77 and 80-grain Match Kings and am down to my last 600 .308 bullets.

They don't seem to foul barrels any more than raw bullets. They do seem to clean easier/faster, verified by borescope.

You need about 1/2 grain more of powder to make up for velocity loss (they have less friction so slide down the barrel easier while generating less pressure).

On a much, much larger scale I read when the Air Force's old Military Airlift Command changed from high-drag chemical resistant camouflage paint to smooth-finish air superiority grey they gained in both flight efficiency and mileage due to less drag. I've always wondered if that applied to bullets in the external ballistic flight phase.

This is what I want to know.
Did you gain enough to make worth
Did you run DI or Piston, was the bolt & carrier easy to clean
Any pro or cons would help

My Bushmaster DCM is a gas tube gun. As for cleaning I used "GUN SCRUBBER"($8.00) or "BRAKE CLEANER"($1.00 auto parts store) both work the same. Sprayed down the gas tube until it runs out the barrel and spray it in the chamber (pointing the barrel down) for both. It cleans almost instantly and your patches will confirm this when you run them through the barrel. I also sprayed the whole action with it and everything was instantly cleaned. Then You have to re-lubricate everything because the BRAKE CLEANER removes ALL the lubes.You won't get all the moly out, but almost. It makes your bullets slick and you may need to increase the powder to get your velocity back up to where you like it.

"Did you gain enough to make worth"
Any edge I could get that made my rifle more accurate helped me improve my score IMHO.

Last edited:
My CBS doesn't vary when using moly, the other advantage is longer shot strings before I have to clean, a lot longer. I like moly....

I have ran moly. Now, I coat my own bullets with hBN. hBN is cleaner to work with and according to those that shoot a lot more than I do, there is no build up. Cold bore shot is same as following shots.

+ lower chamber PSI = less throat erosion
+ less or no copper fouling

- moly + water = acidic

moly can build up, just as people get "carbon rings" in the front of the bore, but this is mostly from bad cleaning techniques...

if you hand load, HBN gives you all the + of moly, but no -

Thank you all for the reply, I do reload always had good luck with naked bullets, never tried the moly because if they were better would have to stay with them. I will try them in the new P308, hope they are just ok, naked is a whole simpler .