• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moly or Naked

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
What is the Pros and cons of moly vs naked??? I have to reorder some bullets. I started with moly but was thinking about going back to naked. Is there any advantages staying with moly? Cleaning or barrel life.

Re: Moly or Naked

The 2 main reasons I don't go moly are

1. Moly is hygroscopic (absorbs water).

2. It's a bear to remove from the barrel.

You just asked the $64,000 question.

For myself, I agree with BHP9. I don't mess with it any more.

I have shot about 200 rounds through my rifle and can't see any benefits. But I thought maybe their might be more to this than I'am seeing. I couldn't get may SDs any lower than 7 which I can get with naked bullets.

Any Pros to it.

What is the best way to get the moly out of the barrel. Will Montana Extreme take it out or will this not work.

I skipped moly and use hexagonal Boron Nitride.
Same benefits, less detractors.

I thought I would try it. A guy I shoot with once a month is always saying how great it is. So I thought I would try it. I have 100 left and did not think I would stay on this path. But wanted other input.

HxBN. Ask David Tubb. He has left moly for HxBN. Doesn't form the dreaded moly ring. From my experience they shoot to the same point of impact. JMHO

hbn does everything better than moly with none of its negatives, if your gonna shoot coated pills, use hbn.

I read on them also. I think I might just go back to naked. There is not enough reasons to stick with the coated bullets. I haven't heard anybody say why stay with.

This is a great opportunity for me to quote our favorite curmudgeon:

"I f%#$ nekkid and shoot moly." NOBODY

I miss that guy.

Larry was a good guy. He was knowledgable and had experience with a lot of outdoorsy stuff. He had a lot of cool guns and knives. He also has a nice looking family and cute kids. But his mouth (or typing fingers in this case) is why he isn't here. While I THINK he's a decent guy. I couldn't put up with his <span style="text-decoration: line-through">mouth</span> language.

All the shooters I've seen that use moly or HBN, can not get their ES and SD low. Same thing I've seen in some 243 Win tests with 115 DTAC's. They shot ok, and ran fast, but higher ES than I would prefer.

Well I guess I'll pipe up.

I've shot nothing but moly since Neco patented the/their process. The only reason I do so is because I can shoot longer, without cleaning, and still keep my accuracy.

I don't know about the ES thingy.

I broke the IBS 1000 yard LG 6 target agg record last year.......

I use nylon brushes and Bore Tech Eliminater.

Then a little JB on a patch wrapped around an undersized brass brush and work the throat and the first part of the barrel.

I have a borescope, so I'm not guessing.

For the rest of your question,

At a 1K match I shoot all day, maybe 75 rounds, be it a 6.5-284 or my 6 Dashers.

At a Hunter match with a 30x47, I shoot 100yd. in the AM, and 200 yd. in the PM, and don't clean til I get home.

Prairie dogging, I've gone 300, and cleaned cause I felt guilty. Still cleaned up like it had 10 rounds down it.

Not at all. I only clean cause I don't want the gun to set dirty for a month.

I think I'am going to keep using moly. I will give it a longer try. I will start keeping a round count on the 2 guns and seeing what the difference is. after 1000 rounds. If I don't see any benefits. Then I will go back to the naked bullets or try HBN bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the shooters I've seen that use moly or HBN, can not get their ES and SD low. Same thing I've seen in some 243 Win tests with 115 DTAC's. They shot ok, and ran fast, but higher ES than I would prefer.
</div></div>

Not all of them.....LOL
40 grains of RL 17 gave me
3046......Thats a 10 shot string with 12.25 ES and 3.31 SD with a 6XC!!!!!Started with cold clean bore and averaged 3043. I wished DTubb still did moly......Good Stuff. IMHO.

I've been using moly for about 8 years in a Steyr SBS tactical .308. I apply it myself in a tumbler with no wax.

I noticed no accuracy gain or loss. I did get velocity loss so I had to increase the powder charge (now at 47.0gr Varget, Win brass, CCI 200, 155 Palma).

The pro is that I can shoot 3-400 rounds between cleanings with no accuracy loss. I like that.

I store the rifle in a silicone sock inside my safe with a golden rod dehumidifier and some big bags of desiccant so I haven't noticed any moisture problems - in 8 or so years.

Using Moly for years. Not sure about this SD thing. My 338s regularly clock at 5fps to 7fps SD using Retumbo.

In 308 and 30-06, I regularly go 400-500 rounds between cleaning.

I do find myself shooting hotter loads (beyond published max) to keep accuracy. I suppose I could back it off to the next node and save a few grains of powder . . . .

I NEVER put my guns away without cleaning, even if I only fire 1 shot. Not because I fear rust (tho have read a good deal about it) but I just don't do it. Clean with Shooter's Choice & JB, light oil patch, and I'm done.

HBN I will be trying in a new rifle this fall, just have not had the time to do work up.

I handload; 19 Badger, .222 .223, 22-250 6mmBR, .243, 25acp, 25/35, 250/3000, 257 Roberts AI, 260, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57mm, 7mm Rem mag, 32acp, 32sw, 32S&WLong, 32-20, 7.62x25mm, 30-30, 303Sav, 300Sav, 7.62x39mm, 308, 7.5Swiss, 30-06, 300WM, 303Brit, 7.62x54R, 8x57mm, 338WM, .380, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357 Sig, 38 sp, 357 mag, 38sw, 40sw, 10mm, 10.4mm, 401 power mag, 44mag, 45acp, 45Colt, 452/70, .410, 45/70, and 12 ga.

I started 257RAI in moly in 2002, and have been adding more cartridges to the moly discipline ever since.
I now also use moly for; .223, 6mmBR, .243, 25/35, 260, 270, 7x57mm, 7mm Rem mag, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 300WM, 7.62x54R, 8x57mm, and 338WM.

In general if it is over 2600 fps, I use moly.
In general if it is over 3600 fps, I slow down.
The carrier in spray can moly coating is so toxic, don't even think about breathing around it.
In general, Lyman ceramic media for moly coating sucks for .224" bullets.
Steel BBs work better and can be magnetically separated.
Lead tipped bullets will make lead contamination in the moly coating process, and lots of stuff then needs to be thrown out or possibly cleaned.
Waiting for moly to shoot in takes too long, so I burnish a clean bore with Moly bore cream, and try not to breath the fumes from the first one and only fouling shot.
Walt Berger's moly regime is what got me into Kroil. Walt doesn't work there anymore, and his link is dead. I do a varmint version of Walt's benchrest moly discipline.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.bergerbullets.com/faq.htm

Q: Should I shoot Moly Coated bullets?
A:
Any shooter who goes through a lot of rounds during a shooting session
should use Moly Coated bullets. Moly is a dry lubricant that allows you
to shoot more rounds before you have to clean. Since you get less
fouling using Moly Coated bullets the accuracy level of your load will
last longer within a shooting session. If your load did not shoot
without Moly, adding Moly will not make your load shoot. Moly does not
eliminate the need to clean your barrel. You just don't have to clean as
often. Moly will reduce the pressure of your load, which will result in
a slight loss of velocity. In most situations a little more powder can
be added to get you right back to the velocity you want to shoot. If you
are shooting a compressed load with non-Moly bullets you may not be able
to add more powder. It has not been conclusively proven that premium
accuracy life of a barrel will be extended using Moly. However, since
you don't have to clean as often due to reduced fouling premium accuracy
during a particular shooting session does last longer.

Q: If I use Moly Coated bullets how should I clean my barrel?
A:
The following is one way to clean when using Moly Coated bullets. It is
not likely the only way you can clean if you are using Moly Coated bullets.
1. Push one patch wet with Kroil Oil through the barrel
2. Repeat step 1.
3. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
4. Repeat step 3.
5. Push one patch wet with Butch's Bore Shine through the barrel.
6. Repeat step 5.
7. Let the barrel soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
9. Repeat step 8.
10. Using short strokes back and forth push one patch wet with USP or JB
Bore Paste through the barrel.
11. Push one patch wet with Kroil through the barrel.
12. Repeat step 11 twice.
13. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
14. Repeat step 13 three times.
15. Use bore scope or visually inspect muzzle for copper fouling.
16. If copper is present repeat steps 10 through 15.
17. If you are storing the rifle push one patch wet with quality gun oil
through the barrel.

Q: How do I break in a barrel using Moly Coated bullets?
A: Moly Coated bullets will not shoot consistently until a barrel is
properly broken in with Moly Coated bullets. Walt Berger has found the
following procedure to work best in his barrels.
For a new barrel:

1. Shoot one Moly Coated bullet then clean using the Moly Coated
cleaning procedure listed above.
2. Repeat step 1 five times.
3. Shoot three Moly Coated bullets then clean using the Moly Coated
4. Repeat step 3 five times.

For a broken in barrel:

1. Thoroughly clean the barrel.
2. Shoot ten Moly Coated bullets then clean using the Moly Coated

Your barrel is now ready to shoot Moly Coated bullets.

</div></div>

What does it all mean?
Moly is to make Copper fouling happen slower and clean up faster.
It does not have as big an effect as buying a factory lapped barrel, but it does have an effect.

I went with moly. Just order. Moly does shoot. I will keep shooting it. Like I said I will pay attention to barrel life and round count.