• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Monster Bull Elk

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
HPIM0989.jpg

This huge non-typical elk was killed in the Yukon just a few days ago by a good friend of mine...fair chase hunt. More pics to come...

Re: Monster Bull Elk

He told me it grossed 427 B&C....I guess we'll know in 57 days. He told me he bugled it in to 25 yards where he shot it with his .270.

As an added note he drew one of 15 permits for the hunt....those elk were put in the Yukon in 1958....this was the first year they have hunted them there.

Al Klassen is the hunter and this was his first elk...but he is no greenhorn. He has guided and hunted in the Yukon and Northwest Territories for the past 30+ years. He has personally guided and taken 125+ Dall rams in his sheep hunting career. He is truely one of the best of the best.

Nice pics as usual PGS!
The mass is really impressive - well every aspect is.
Is it pretty old? The "waviness" in the G2 and G3's are what we see down here in older deer, is that true for elk also?
Sounds like it was very well deserved and hard earned.
Congratulations to the hunter and the game managers.
Jeff

The way Al descibed the condition of the teeth it sounds like it was an old bull....he said he sent a tooth to the biologist for an age estimation. From what I've seen here in the northern rockies a bull elk reaches full maturity at 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 years old.(Greatest antler growth potential)Of course genetics, how they come out of winter into spring, early summer rain, will also have an impact on antler developement. I still believe that age is the most important factor in producing top quality animals.

HPIM0953.jpg

Score Update: 451 5/8 gross 402 3/8 net....he is going to have him officially scored and entered after the drying period.

He told me it is a 10X9(9X8 excluding the main beams) It looks like a scorers nightmare to me.....It'll probably get panel scored by B&C.

FYI, I got an e-mail from Al today as I had asked him if non residents could apply for that permit in the Yukon...he said it was residents only.

I'd take this real hunt and bull over the spider from utah.

Fantastic bull.

What did he kill him with?

I agree!

He bugled him in to 25 yards and killed him with his .270 win.

That's one of best looking elk I've ever laid eyes on!

Thats definitely once in a lifetime!! What I wouldn't give to see one of those on a fair chase hunt.