• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Monstrum Lens Covers

JCIII

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
I’ve had issues with with pretty much every scope lens cover I’ve ever used. Most are either poor fitting or poor performing, and all of them seem far too fragile. That is until I found these Monstrum tactical covers. The primarily rubber construction not only improves fit but the flexibility definitely helps with durability. These aren’t perfect, but the best I’ve found so far and have them on 4 rifles currently. I’d love to hear if anyone has found any other good options, otherwise, I recommend these as an alternative to the “standard” ones I’ve seen in most pics.

8541DD84-D919-4111-8A64-75C12EE1F9A5.jpeg

B01809EB-CE95-4317-AC17-B19AE75094B6.jpeg

F2D1D2FA-8DE4-408C-805E-7E1ABE0292AA.jpeg

07E1C6CB-E8A5-4164-8562-9FC1B431AB6D.jpeg

I prefer the Vortex covers and the butlercreek tacticals over the monstrums, because both of those are rubberized and will latch back flat to the scope. But the Aadlands are King.....

Reactions: RHINOWSO
Thanks for those options. I haven’t had my hands on the Vortex ones, but it looks like I’ll get a set to try. Didn’t like the Butlers and I can’t justify the Aadlands price.....whew, for scope covers. But, again appreciate the input, will need to try the Vortex.

The Monstrum is a direct copy of the Vortex Defenders, though for what it’s worth, my Monstrum covers don’t slip like my Defenders did.

Plus the Monstrum come in Tan.

I have the vortex caps on my 1-6, but one broke at the hinge. No clue how it happened. It sits on my work rifle, pulled it out of pelican case and the front cap just fell off.

I’m trying to find the bikini lens cover for it now, I’d like to get the ones with see through lens covers and elastic cord not rubber. I like the trijicon ones, but I don’t know if there cover for the accupoint 1-6 will work for the razor hd II 1-6.

I did see that aadland has lifetime warranty if they do break, might try those.

I have both Vortex and Monstrum on various scopes. It seems to me that the Vortex are a little better quality controlled overall, but for about half the cost I really like the Monstrums. Either one beats the cheap Butler Creek covers.

I'm not quite sure what role flip up scope caps play.

If you shoot in snow/wind, does one brand's hinges freeze up later than another? Do they prevent iced up turrets/mag rings?

Shoot in sandstorms much, and worried about your glass getting surface ground? Do they prevent fine grit under the turrets?

Have firsthand experience of shattered lenses? Need to rapidly deploy the lenses against those fast moving stationary targets?

Would they be even more cool if they had a Crye pattern?

I'm not quite sure what role flip up scope caps play.

If you shoot in snow/wind, does one brand's hinges freeze up later than another? Do they prevent iced up turrets/mag rings?

Shoot in sandstorms much, and worried about your glass getting surface ground? Do they prevent fine grit under the turrets?

Have firsthand experience of shattered lenses? Need to rapidly deploy the lenses against those fast moving stationary targets?

Would they be even more cool if they had a Crye pattern?

During a match my rifle spends a lot of time waiting to be shot, generally on a rack. The wind is usually blowing here and tends to cover every stationary object with dust within minutes. I use the lens caps mainly to prevent my objective from being coated with dust when my rifle is on the rack. Flip up caps just make this more convenient.

If you don't see the need for them then don't use them. I like them so I'll use them.

Don't get all defensive, I'm just trying to figure out the love.

May I suggest a "scope coat" or similar - like these here - https://scopeguardalaska.com

They'll keep dust off everything, not just the lenses.

One swipe of the thumb (as opposed to two flip caps) & it flicks off faster than operator level stuff.

Of course, I get "want" over "need".....

During a match my rifle spends a lot of time waiting to be shot, generally on a rack. The wind is usually blowing here and tends to cover every stationary object with dust within minutes. I use the lens caps mainly to prevent my objective from being coated with dust when my rifle is on the rack. Flip up caps just make this more convenient.

If you don't see the need for them then don't use them. I like them so I'll use them.

Reactions: CodeMonkey

May I suggest a "scope coat" or similar - like these here - https://scopeguardalaska.com

......and now you have a 20” floppy banana hammock that you get to go unzip your pack, stash away, rezip your pack, then get your rifle and shoot the stage. After the stage, same routine, and then everyone gets nervous about you lingering around the gun rack fiddling with stuff as you try to stretch the inevitably undersized banana hammock back over the scope.

......or you could spend 3 seconds flipping the caps open when you make ready and 3 seconds to close them while making the rifle safe to rack.

One swipe of the thumb (as opposed to two flip caps) & it flicks off faster than operator level stuff.

Of course, I get "want" over "need".....

No worries, lol. 😊 There's room enough for all of us.

I've used scope coats, and I agree it's a good solution for a lot of situations. What brought me back to flip-ups is that I don't have to tuck anything away in a pocket or range bag and then retrieve it later. If my primary use was benchrest or hunting or similar, I'd probably go with a cover of some sort mainly because they're cheaper and you don't have to fiddle with finding the correct size. But for what I do I've found that I prefer the convenience of just flicking each end open and closed. Yeah they can get in the way a little, but I don't mind for the convenience they give.

That makes zero sense, unless you have a 24" scope. 3 seconds is precious time lost. Try to compensate elsewhere.
......and now you have a 20” floppy banana hammock that you get to go unzip your pack, stash away, rezip your pack, then get your rifle and shoot the stage. After the stage, same routine, and then everyone gets nervous about you lingering around the gun rack fiddling with stuff as you try to stretch the inevitably undersized banana hammock back over the scope.

......or you could spend 3 seconds flipping the caps open when you make ready and 3 seconds to close them while making the rifle safe to rack.

I did say "similar".

The link I posted above doesn't need tucking away. It stays on the rig when flipped away, and finding the correct size is no different than finding the right scope caps.
No worries, lol. 😊 There's room enough for all of us.

I get user preference - rock on, CM (y)

I've used scope coats, and I agree it's a good solution for a lot of situations. What brought me back to flip-ups is that I don't have to tuck anything away in a pocket or range bag and then retrieve it later. If my primary use was benchrest or hunting or similar, I'd probably go with a cover of some sort mainly because they're cheaper and you don't have to fiddle with finding the correct size. But for what I do I've found that I prefer the convenience of just flicking each end open and closed. Yeah they're a little more hassle, and they can get in the way a little, but I don't mind for the convenience they give.

Whew, get a room guys - we don't care who is pitching or catching, just do it in private.

There are Aadland caps, then there is everything else in varying shades of adequate to complete shit.

I get not wanting to spend $100 on caps if you have a cheap optic, but once you get above the $1K mark, just quit being poor.

Good grief. Tell us about your high dollar $1k+ optics?

Whew, get a room guys - we don't care who is pitching or catching, just do it in private.

There are Aadland caps, then there is everything else in varying shades of adequate to complete shit.

I get not wanting to spend $100 on caps if you have a cheap optic, but once you get above the $1K mark, just quit being poor.

So after breaking the vortex cover/cap for my Razor 1-6 I went ahead and spent the money and got the aadland caps. They came in the mail in the other day, and my first impression was they are great. Comparing to the vortex caps, the aadland definitely felt and looked more robust. Overall I believe it was a great choice, especially with the lifetime warranty for a work/patrol rifle.

I do believe the Vortex Defender caps also have a lifetime warranty... that is if my memory Isn’t failing me! 🙃

I've got tenebraex and like them, i like that i can fold them flat as I'm a hat guy and the brim of my hat hitting caps is a no go for me. I get buying cheap caps, something is better then nothing but replacing BC caps gets old.

I put some monstrums on my scope. They do what I need them to do and I haven't had a problem with them yet. Nice cheap option.