• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Montana Black Bear!!

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
Just got back home from a really fun bear hunt in Western Montana. On the second evening, from one glassing spot I saw big horn sheep, mountain goats, elk, mule deer, 3 grizzly bears and this black bear that I shot at 450 meters with my GAP .308. Thats a red letter day I wont soon forget!!

bearhunt2010014.jpg

bearhunt2010032.jpg

Next morning was spent skinning and packing..

bearhunt2010004.jpg

3 grizz....pic taken through a Zeiss spotter at 1700 meters.

bearhunt2010002.jpg

Re: Montana Black Bear!!

Nice bear, been out once this spring no luck. Just tons and tons of moose.

Nice bear! Where about in Western Montana? My wife and I just bought a retirement home just outside Whitehall, looking foward to doing some hunting myself.

Nice bear, Pat! What pack did you use and how did it work out for you?

Nice bear and nice shooting PGS! Nice rifle and pack set up also. Congratulations!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Bear indeed! was that a 155 scenar? </div></div>

Thats what I used....it worked to perfection leaving a 1" exit hole.

Cinch, That pack is an Eberlystock X1.

Notellum Ridge.....one of my favorite black bear spots......grin!

Nice bear. Friend of mine heads out monday for Boise to go after his first bear.

The best is yet to come....I'll bet that giant you saw last fall is roaming around there somewhere close by...

Really nice Pat, looks like a great hunt. Did you just hold the camera up to the lens on your spotting scope to get that picture?

Greg, With a little practice its not too difficult to get a through the scope pic. I would have tried to take one of the black bear first but I didnt really have enough time and didnt want to risk losing my shot..

I'll have to try it. Actually was looking at a Nikon spotting scope with a camera attachment.

I know what you mean on losing the shot....

Hey Pat great bear! What is the black ring on the barrel, by the forend of the stock? Kinda looks like electricians tape.

Thats what it is....I use it to cover the muzzle keeping rain, snow and dirt out. My muzzle was taped when I shot the bear..nice to have a little spare tape to recover it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice bear man, by the way thanks for the invite... </div></div>

Owen,

Set aside 4 or 5 days next May and we'll go hunt one for you....spring black bear is one of my favorite hunts.

Nice pics Pat. Sounds like a fun time.

There are no sheep in MT...grin!

Nice bear PGS!! I see there are a few members on the hide that live on the hi-line! Get any of those monster whitetail from your area?