• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Montana Elk Hunt

hognuts

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Just got back from my Montana Elk hunt, got a spike in the Elkhorns between Boulder and Helena Montana. We saw a few bigger bulls in thick timber that we couldn't get a shot on. We had a great trip and good hunting weather, had about 4-5 inches of fresh snow. Shot this one with the 6.5 Creedmoor at 650 yards, made a good kill. The kill shot went through the rib cage behind the shoulder and jellied the liver, he didn't drop right away and stumbled and quartered towards me, I put another one in his front quarter before he dropped, when I skinned it, the one that hit the front quarter only penetrated the hide and barely stuck in the muscle. I think the 6.5 is suitable to the task, but shot placement is definitely critical. Looks like if you put it in the sweet spot, it will drop it (the one that went through the rib cage was a through and through shot, but the one that was a little forward did not penetrate the shoulder muscle) Here are a few pics of the trip.
DSCF4299.jpg

DSCF4300.jpg

DSCF4301.jpg

DSCF4379.jpg

DSCF4372.jpg

DSCF4340.jpg

DSCF4337.jpg

DSCF4334.jpg

Re: Montana Elk Hunt

Nice job! That'll fill the freezer with some of the best elk meat there is!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job! That'll fill the freezer with some of the best elk meat there is! </div></div>

I agree. Looks like good eating.

I need to take a trip to Montana someday.

Looks like good hunting weather....neat pics of the country side. Nice elk and neat looking rifle.

Thank you gentlemen. I am cooking up some of the sausage as we speak! We are going to be partaking in elk sausage spagetti this evening! I had as many steaks as I could get and the balance I did 50% burger, 25% breakfast sausage, 25% Italian sausage. My deer I had the back straps and tenderloins made into steaks and the balance I did Jerky. Should be in some good grub for awhile!
smile.gif

Congrats on the elk.... and..Nice looking Rifle!!!

Thank you all, and good luck to all of you who are still hunting. I have one more cow Elk tag in Nevada...if the wife allows me out of the house with my rifle and hunting gear in tow again...took a week for mule deer in Nevada and a week for elk in Montana...she is ready to cut my sack right now!
smile.gif
The only thing I have going for me is that the season doesn't open until December 5th, so I am hoping that she will have relinquished the grip on my nuts by then!
smile.gif

I'm at a loss on your details of the 2nd shot. You say it barely went thru the hide?? It's safe to say then, it made no contact with bone at all. So, why a clean pass thru on the first shot (same hide to penetrate two times in and out), yet it all but bounced off him on the second shot. This puzzles me. If I'm understanding this correctly, then there seems to be something more at play here. Both bullets should have arrived at the elk with ~ about the same energy (before any contact) what took so much away from the 2nd shot if it did not contact anything other that hide/soft tissue?

Sorry if I missed it, but what bullet did you use?

Congrats on a fine hunt in gorgeous country. I LOVE Montana!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm at a loss on your details of the 2nd shot. You say it barely went thru the hide?? It's safe to say then, it made no contact with bone at all. So, why a clean pass thru on the first shot (same hide to penetrate two times in and out), yet it all but bounced off him on the second shot. This puzzles me. If I'm understanding this correctly, then there seems to be something more at play here. Both bullets should have arrived at the elk with ~ about the same energy (before any contact) what took so much away from the 2nd shot if it did not contact anything other that hide/soft tissue? </div></div>

I don't have a good answer for you, but that is indeed what I am saying. One went through the rib cage behind the shoulder and it was a through and through shot, the one that hit the front shoulder literally did not penetrate....I don't know what to attribute it to, not a ballistics expert, but maybe denser muscle tissue???I found the bullet between the hide and the shoulder with only around 1/2" of penetration into the muscle....why, I do not know...again my best guess was that just more dense muscle tissue, but that is just speculation on my part...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if I missed it, but what bullet did you use?

Congrats on a fine hunt in gorgeous country. I LOVE Montana! </div></div>

140 grain AMAX - Hornady - 41.6 grains of H4350

Great shooting Sir! Looking forward to eating the elk with you and looking forward to the Mule Deer Foundation dinner coming up!!! Carmen tried talking me into a "couples package" but I told her that sounded kinda gay and that I would take two individual packages... one for me and one for D.Miller. The couples package sounded gay for two dudes even if you got more raffle tickets! LOL

That is funny shit! Yeah two may have caught some shit for the couples package
smile.gif
Maybe a single red rose at both your table settings....hmmmmm
smile.gif

We ate an elk feast last night, Brittany made some meatballs in bbq sauce and steaks that had been soaked in olive oil and garlic...amazing!