• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Monthly Sporting Rifle match RATON NM

We never kept track of when the high scores were shot in relation to the changes .

Mike has the scores from all the matches from the inception in the match records if anybody wants to look at them .

We had a great time this weekend big thanks for all the hard work. I really like the changes and would not mind more shooting from positions other then prone. I think that the match is evolving in the right direction and is being lead with great wisdom. Thanks again Sean.

yup - just to echo what ScottyD said above...(I was also in the same squad as he was) It is the people at this match that really make it so great. Anyone who is a little scared of shooting this format should not be. Lots of coaching and advice (and friendly teasing!) from the more experienced folk make this an unbeatable learning experience. Thanks to Tom, Dino, and everyone else on my squad who suffered through with this newbie South African...

Antony,
It was nice meeting you and Scott. Enjoyed shooting with you as well. We try to have fun and glad you enjoyed the match. Nice shooting too.

Dino

Congrats to Chuck and Christine and whoever won .308! Impressive. Even more impressive now that I actually know how hard the SRM is! Thanks to Mike for getting the match started and keeping it going, it is awesome. I was really nervous but the guys on my squad were super nice and patient. I really appreciated that Sam, Tuss and Todd. This newbie is hooked!

I'm going to *try* to be there this weekend, depending on work. It'll be by first time at this match. Does anyone know what the altitude is at the range?

making my first trip up this weekend, and had a quick question concerning bipods

i know the rules state bipods must remain attached.

I was planning on using my eberlestock just one pack for hauling the rifle between stages, but my gun does not fit in the scabbard with the bipod on it.
would i be able to remove the bipod while transporting, and put it back on when shooting?

Just a quick note to thank everyone for a great match! And thanks to the guys on my team (Esp Rick) for all the helpful tips along the way.
Of course the wind was humbling as usual :)
Cant wait to see the results...

Thanks Anthony! It was a blast as always.

The wind will quickly remind you who is Boss, especially at the SRM! 52 was a great score yesterday. Good job Neal!

Yeah, the wind was doing its usual weird stuff, but not howling like it was in March. I won’t be there for the July match, so I’ll see everyone in August.

Some of the normal set up help will be at the SAC ro'ing so Mike could use some extra help . Set up is at 1 Sat afternoon .

Hi there everyone,

I have a question regarding the use of Semi-auto rifles at this match. Are they allowed?? (I read the rules on the match page, but did not see anything specifically outlawing Semi auto rigs.) However I seem to remember Mike Kolar mentioning something about them at the orientation meeting before the match started...

I have shot this match twice with my bolt gun (loved it) and now am thinking of competing with a super accurate .260 Rem Semi auto... I'm a sucker for punishment i know...

Anyone know if this is permissible?

Yes there is , the dates are below the SRM dates in the schedule tab .

Last edited:
What are the newest changes? Last time I was there we had the one stick stage. Is there any differences from there?

Don't know when you shot it last. A few stages have increased distances. The distances are on the range card PDF. Stage 1, target 6 is still the furthest.

Stage 9, target 1, the bushes leaves are so thick/tall, couldn't see it shooting reverse kneeling, shot it standing.

Thanks for the info. A couple of us are heading out there for the last match of the year. Can somebody turn the thermostat to 65?

Just called my contact in Raton and was told everything was fine there. Yes there had been some heavy rain and there is some street damage in town, but no real first hand info concerning the SR area.