• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Monthly Western KY Shoot @ RockCastle 6-15-2013

jonesy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Louisville, KY
Hiders,

The Monthly Shoot at RockCastle for June is on the 15th. We will meet at 8:45 am at the Lodge/Main Office to pay and fill out the Survey, and Waiver if you've never shot there before. I will keep a running list of who will be there. So, if you don't mind sending me a PM confirming you'll be there, I'd appreciate it.

The price is $25 per Shooter paid directly to RockCastle upon arrival. Also, we will have to supply our own Steel Targets. The more the merrier! In the past we've had a healthy supply of targets - every 50 yards out to 1100.

There will be no official Format for the day, but we will go "COLD" as needed to Repair/Replace/Paint targets and break for lunch and what not. It will be a laid back open practice.

For those of you unaware, we have 1100 Yards of Distance to set Targets out to.

Any questions at all, please feel free to post in this thread and/or PM me.

And again, the more the merrier. I notified Rockcastle that we'd be around 20 people (just a guess based on past attendance), so we've got plenty of room for shooters.

Thanks all!

P.S. Thanks to HD1911 for the thread format... kinda stole all of it from him, so I gotta give him credit.

Shooters List:
1. jonesy
2. HD1911
3. biner626
4. Kentucky Jelly (maybe)
5. BoilerUp
6. bubbadoc (maybe)
7. NICETRY
8. McCrazy +2
9. Greene (maybe)
10. The Lawn Ranger
11. chaser_2332 (maybe)
12. donp326
13. Campbell
14. jlpier01
15. woodland-ghost
16. Amsoildealer
17. skatz11 (maybe)
18. rdbse

Last edited:
Unfortunately for me, that's the third weekend of June and I have prior plans that would be hard to get out of. I'll try to make the next one. Maybe I'll have my new ECR:) .260 done by then...and a scope better suited for the game. I had a great time last weekend and look forward to doing it again asap. Thanks for putting these together.

I had a question. I have some left over steel on my job I could make some targets out of. Is there a size for say out to 1000 yards you would like. I probably have enough I could make one or two target 24"x24". And some even smaller than that. This stuff is 5/8 to 3/4" thick.

I had a question. I have some left over steel on my job I could make some targets out of. Is there a size for say out to 1000 yards you would like. I probably have enough I could make one or two target 24"x24". And some even smaller than that. This stuff is 5/8 to 3/4" thick.

Can you harden it to AR500 spec?

Nope I can't do that. These are just embed plates we just did not use. But at a good distance should take everything even my 338 should dish out.

I checked the website for Rockcastle and it says members only for the 1100 yard range. What if you're not a member?

I checked the website for Rockcastle and it says members only for the 1100 yard range. What if you're not a member?

If you're not a member, just pay the $25 fee for the day when you arrive. Members must schedule the meet, but we can bring along as many non-member guests as we like.

Count me in. Wife will be gone and I will coerce someone into babysitting my kid for the day.

You guys don't know how happy I am to see us doing this as a monthly thing again. If we keep up the rotating supervisor thing nobody will get burned out or angry at everybody and everything . I was going to make the June shoot, til I realized one year ago on that date I got married. Maybe July......

Last edited:
I will try and make it, its still a little ways out for me to say for 100%.

Greene

Does anyone know where a fella might find some 168-178 grain .308 bullets? I'm running low and need some if I am going to Rockcastle.

Not much help but Cabelas's in Louisville has some. I'll keep an eye out.

Does anyone know where a fella might find some 168-178 grain .308 bullets? I'm running low and need some if I am going to Rockcastle.

Would Nosler Competiton work? Hit me up ASAP if they will.

I appreciate the help. I'm going to a gun show tomorrow to see what they have. The caveat is... I won't pay insane prices when I can back order at pre panic prices. I've been back ordered for a while. Thus the dwindling supplies.

Man, works gonna get in the way for me. I had really hoped to make this one. Don't worry though...I'm sending you guys a care package via Clay. Bring your earplugs. ;)

I really wish I'm in town next time you do this! I keep missing this but want to make it one of these times.

On another note, the guy at Rockcastle who runs the range told me last year they were going to install tables, steel targets at various distances etc. and make it a "shooting gallery". Has any of this happened?

Count me in I have a membership too but I just have not had time to get out to Rockastle this year.

I really wish I'm in town next time you do this! I keep missing this but want to make it one of these times.

On another note, the guy at Rockcastle who runs the range told me last year they were going to install tables, steel targets at various distances etc. and make it a "shooting gallery". Has any of this happened?

None of it has happened, but I don't really see that as a downfall. Having to set up our own targets helps keep the range more available for booking, I would think, as most people don't have a bunch of steel for targets every 50 yards .

Would be nice for people however, that want to join and have a long distance place to shoot. I'm not going to drag a bunch of targets with me to go shoot, nor do I have a way of going down range to set them up. I will go a range that has them. So I think they are eliminating a lot of potential customers.

Good thing you are willing to do it. I will make it one of these times I have a weekend free.

the type of shooting we do doesnt need a square range, if tables and benches were added it would loss alot of what we go there for.

Too many matches held there to leave long range targets out all the time also, alot of the bigger matches utilize almost all of the facility.

Nope I can't do that. These are just embed plates we just did not use. But at a good distance should take everything even my 338 should dish out.

You will be surprised what a 7wsm will do to a steel target that's not ar500. I mad craters with a .243@600 and where I doubled up hits I put one through and it was 5/8 mild steel.

You will be surprised what a 7wsm will do to a steel target that's not ar500. I mad craters with a .243@600 and where I doubled up hits I put one through and it was 5/8 mild steel.

Like I said these are leftovers. If they get damaged oh well. I plan to bring a few of them.

I called RockCastle today to confirm out reservation for 6-15. They assured me that the range would be ready for us and they have us down for approximately 15 shooters.

They also asked me to remind everyone that anyone who has not shot at RockCastle before WILL have paperwork to fill out, so just be ready for that.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

I may have +1 or +2 coming with me. One I would say is fairly solid and the other one a possibility.

Will also bringing out 7 AR500 targets and 4 stands. No promises that the stands will hold up as they are my first version and my welding didn't get sorted out until the end of construction.

-Jon

Last edited:
I may have +1 or +2 coming with me. One I would say is fairly solid and the other one a possibility.

Will also bringing out 7 AR500 targets and 4 stands. No promises that the stands will hold up as they are my first version and my welding didn't get sorted out until the end of construction.

-Jon

Sounds awesome! No worries about the welding. You guys will see some of my welding "skills" too; I'm sure I will be humbled.

Count me in, just have one 12in target but have a stand that holds a 3ft by 4ft cardboard for getting on target at distances never shot before

And no real stand for the metal target, use t posts and metal chains at my place. Don't know if they'd like t posts stuck everywhere haha. If anyone has an extra stand...

Good, now ill just have to make sure I don't put them in so far I can't get them out haha. And what about 4 wheelers? My lazy ass isn't walking 1100 yds or less over and over.

Last time I was there I just drove back and forth and that was a pita

Most of us drive out with a truck, so we just drive to the targets. You're welcome to ride along if you need to.

Glad to have you coming!

Ill just have my 338 and 308...338 I want to get my scope settings for every 100 yds out to 1100, and the 308 will be used once I get the 338 on at at certain distance and or needs to cool down. Anything past 500-600 yds will just make me laugh with the 308, it's just my coyote gun and slow at 2400 fps

Also will everyone be up on the hill or down on the flat bottom before you driv up that hill? I want to try and keep the elevation as flat as possible if I can.