• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

moose rifle

creech

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2012
north dakota
I've been thinking about a moose rifle in either .375h&h or .375improved, anybody have any thoughts on pros or cons of either?

Re: moose rifle

.375H&H a long storied history, store bought rifle & ammo, always been enough.

.375Improved (Weatherby, Ackely, JRS) pretty much have to handload and custom rifle. More performance/recoil. Brass might last longer.

A .338WM might be a more flexible but more pedestrian alternative.

Where are you going to hunt moose? I agree with buffybuster that .338WM would allow more flexibility. Despite their size moose are not really that tough of an animal. Went to Alaska, (100 miles north of Kotzubue) and shot a nice 63 inched with a Browning X-bolt load with Federal Barnes Triple-shock, 180 grain.

Of all the guys I spoke with in the last two years hunting moose in Alaska most are shooting some type of .300 or .338. If I was hunting near the coast and coastal Brown Bears I would maybe go with the .375. If hunting in say Ontario for moose I think the .375 might be a little much. However if you think your going to go up to Alaska for Brown Bears or Grizzly's then maybe the .375. Just my 2 cents.

I shot my bull moose at 325 yards with a 300 Rum and a 200 grain accubond. One shot and done.

I would recommend a 300 WM, or 338 WM. I would say those are the two best Alaskan/Canadian moose cartridges. Easy to find ammo at about any Random restaurant in the middle of the Denali.

Easy to load for, good bullet Selection Win win

I have taken several moose, first two with my bow. They are not hard animals to kill, vitals are huge and use a lot of oxygen, so get them thought lungs and/or heart and they stop. Even without expansion, through and through, in the lungs, they typically may only go a few yards and stop.

If at distance or you hit bone on an Alaskan moose, they are big, and I like having more than 30-06. Shot my 2012 moose at 437 yards, 250gr Accubonds, put three into him just to hurry job along. With all square in vitals, found two of the slugs under the hide on the off shoulder. I like the penetration/durability of a heavier bullet.

I have multiple 375's and 338wm's and almost always take a 338WM. One main reason if in Alaska, some of our best moose country is also great country for bears--especially places like Kotz. The bear we took this year off my moose kill found it within 48hours. The kill site was only 1/2 mile by trail from our camp. While moose are easy to break down and kill, brownies/grizzlies not always so much. A good 250gr bullet in a 338WM is good medicine for anything you will encounter in Alaska.

Now I love the 375H&H, so if looking for a good reason to buy one, moose is as good as any.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootingstudent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been thinking about a moose rifle in either .375h&h or .375improved, anybody have any thoughts on pros or cons of either? </div></div>

New pop gun for moose between those, 375H&H. Every year hunters in Alaska get their ammo confiscated, dropped and lost, forget it at home, left it in the hotel or somewhere, all sorts of bad juju and 375HH can/may be found in a village or the camp next door and of course in town. 30.06 and 338wm can be found ever much easier.

But, like has been said, bullwinkle is not all that tuff to tip over. 243 will tip one over just as easy as a 375, have the t-shirt as will 7mm08 which is very popular with youth and female hunters.

In my opinion and experience, 338s are the best option. They fly good and straight and with SD and diameter drive deep, better than 375. I used a 340wby Mrk V light weight, wood blued with 3x Alaskan fixed power scope with 250gr Partitions out at 2990 and never had failed me from bou to bruin. Never ever a spot of rust either even booboo hunting on the coast but the wood stock does take a great beating.

While it has been awhile since I talked to anyone, Rod Perry, last time I did AKFG still reported that 30.06 is the most used caliber in Alaska at around 37% of all game taken, bear to bou. Average shot is somewhere around 225 yards too and in my life time in Alaska I would agree.

But if I went back in time to do it all again, I would like to run a 375HH due to what it represents in history more than performance.

Have 2 friends that have taken moose. One dropped his in its tracks with a 375 H&H, the other in its tracks with a 30-06.

Both said the same thing - moose is a rather easy stalk. They are territorial and dare you to come around them, standing their ground. Probably not the best genetic trait for longevity of a species
wink.gif

Just my .02. Having taken quite a few moose in my life I'd say unless you're thinking of playing with the big coastal brownies and are hunting within 400yds the 30-06 with 165's-180's will do it fine and will be useful and practical in the lower 48. If you're interested in stretching out a bit further, go 300wm with 200's. The 338m is a great round, but runs out of steam about as quickly as a 30-06. Again either is fine for inside of 400 and can be stretched a bit further if the shooter is capable. If you're worried about bears, having some 220's in your '06 after you've put your moose down is pretty good insurance for personal defense. A 7 mag is also a good round with 150 monos or 160-175 cup and cores. As stated earlier by others, moose are put down every year with 243's and 7-08's it's just the other critters that might show up during butchering/transport that encourage toting something with a bit more horsepower. I personally carry either a '06 or a 338wm nowadays. There are no right answers and a million ways to skin this cat. Choose a round you want to shoot and will enjoy owning.

I'm looking at hunting nd so bears are not a threat. Sounds like I'll just run some 180 gr outs my .06.

Here in north dakota. I know sounds crazy but we actually do have a healthy moose population in parts of the state. Nothing like the monsters in Canada , or Alaska but moose just the same. Lottery system for tag , but there's always options to go elsewhere if I can't draw. Just was thinking about getting comfortable with a rifle before I get out for one.

Good deal! I'd just roll with the '06 unless you've got the itch for a new rifle or really want to stretch out for one. (nothing wrong with either of those) I love the 168 ttsx's for moose in the '06. Decent BC and they've shot really well for me.

Good Luck

Sounds like the 375 is more than you need. Especially if no brown fuzzy issues. I'll admit I live for moos season, but am always amazed at the amount of work once one is down. It's not like whitetail hunting. The gut pile is bigger than a whitetail. It's bloody sweaty multiple-hundred pound pack load butt whooping--but man do I love it. And bears are always a factor where we hunt. Question is usually just if one will show up and try to lay claim before we finish butchering and packing.

Even if bears not an issue and moose smaller than our neck of the woods--if moose hunt is your justification to dive into the larger bore pool--I say do it. It's my kind of logic. I'm going on this hunt, don't have the perfect rifle, oh hell, I might as well add one. Wait, this other hunt, is even better for the rifle that I have now added, I should go there.

It's a good way to talk yourself into a great caliber, and he'll, once you get a 375, might as well look into Africa and that in itself can lead to other rifles.

Sound logic for sure--even though it usually leaves a puzzled look on my wife's face.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootingstudent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at hunting nd so bears are not a threat. Sounds like I'll just run some 180 gr outs my .06. </div></div>

With this information, run some Federal Premium 180gr partitions out the tube of your .06 with no worries.

My cousin has tipped over moose with 22.250 like most game animals, all are not that hard to tip over. He tipped over a 600 pound toklat phase grizz with it too. And if you can hunt, getting to within short effective range should not be all that difficult.

I find it amusing that many say the hunt for moose is not all that difficult. I with every alder, spruce had a 50" standing by it on flat dry open dirt.

Good luck with the draw!

a 300winmag with some barnes triple shocks would do the job. Seat them deep, and push them hard. Will definitely save you some recoil over what you first considered. Remember, shot placement is the key. You dont necessarily need a cannon to shoot moose.

First let me say I love my 375 H&H, I like it for late evening elk (less chance of my lazy butt having to follow blood trails in the dark)

BUT in reality moose aren't really that tough, elk though smaller are tougher animals. Any thing good for elk would be more then enough for moose.

Bet you more moose have been killed with a 303 British (Canada) and the '06 (US) then anything else.

I spent 22 years in Alaska and have killed several moose, most of which I killed with a 357 Model 28 S&W. Did in a lot of moose after moose vehicle encounters during my 20 years with APD.

If I could only have one rifle and was going to use it for moose, it would be a 270 or 30-06.

I got this guy with one shot in the neck with a 357 when he was charging my police car. Guess he didn't like the overheads.

IMG_NEW.jpg

Every body has that one caliber they love.That they feel will do every thing they want it to do.You just have to decide witch caliber you like and don't worry about what every one else uses or likes.Get what you like you are the one you have to make happy.

^ That is an awesome picture and story.

I'm of the sort that would take an 30-06 or a 7mm Rem Mag and not feel under gunned one bit.

Well, I'm on the other end. I ran into a big Griz in Montana and I was using my 06' and I sure as shi& felt under gunned.

I too prefer the .338 of Win, Wby or Rum flavor. However, I did just finish a barreled action for a .375 Ruger that I have been wanting. H&H ballistics, actually slightly better, in a short action. Perfect for a brush gun, but with some reach. RG

338 win. mag. recoil isn'n bad and it hits hard. my buddy killed a nice Montana bull with a 30-06, it did fine too.