• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

More dumb crap from a shcool board..

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Remember the one where the little girl got thrown out for the bubble gun...or the one where the young kid got in troube for makeing a finger gun...this is even more ludicrous...Goddamn, it makes me just want to pack up and leave ole USA. These people in charge of the schools are below retarded. and they are in charge of americ's future...goodbye.

An Ohio middle school teacher is fighting to keep her job after a photo was seen on her Facebook page showing students of hers with duct tape across their mouths. The Akron school board is considering whether to terminate her.

Melissa Cairns, a middle school math teacher at Buchtel Community Learning Center, has been on unpaid administrative leave after an Akron public schools worker noticed a photo posted on Facebook of a group of students with duct tape across their mouths. The caption on the photo: "Finally found a way to get them to be quiet!!!"

READ: Professor Suspended After Joke About Killing Students on Facebook

Jason Haas, president of the Akron Board of Education, said the case raises questions about students' privacy and social media.

"This is the start of my sixth year on the board. In that time, we haven't had a case come before us for potential disciplinary action for posting a picture to social media websites," said Haas. "Has she violated the students' privacy? That's what we're concerned about. Everyone seems to be focused on the duct tape."

Sarah Hollander, communications officer for Akron Public Schools, issued a statement describing the case:

"There were about 15 or 16 middle school students in the class. Eight or nine students put the tape on their mouths. Cairns took a photo and posted it on her personal Facebook page as a joke. The photo wasn't dated, but was likely taken in late September or early October 2012," said Hollander. "Principal Sonya Gordon asked Cairns to take the photo down. She also alerted parents of students in the class."

READ: California First to Endorse Comprehensive Social Media Privacy Law

Cairns told ABC News affiliate WEWS-TV in Cleveland that she originally gave one of her students the tape to fix her binder. When the teacher handed the strip of tape to the student, Cairns said, she placed the piece of tape over her mouth and laughed. When the other students saw the girl laughing, they joined in. Next, students asked Cairns to snap a photo.

"Do I think that this one mistake should cost me the last 10 years of all the good I've done? Absolutely not," said Cairns. "When your emotions are involved, that's when you learn things."

On Jan. 22, Cairns requested a hearing take place to determine whether she can keep her job as a math teacher. She is entitled to present her case with a referee present. A date for the hearing has not been set.

Haas told WEWS-TV that "students are protected under federal law and have certain protections." He said, "It would look like that potentially violates those protections."

But will this set a new precedent for the school board? Haas said it's difficult to determine.

"It comes down to how the board feels after the administration presents their case. We've gone with the teacher's side and there's other cases where we've gone with the administration's side," said Haas. "Nothing is cut and dry at all."

On Jan. 14, the seven-member board of education was given criteria to consider whether Cairns should be let go.

The 33-year-old teacher was put on paid administrative leave on Oct. 19. As of Jan. 15, she's been placed on an unpaid administrative leave. On Jan. 16, Cairns received a letter informing her of a possible firing. She was given 10 days to request a hearing before the board or a referee.

"Why was there duct tape in the classroom? How did they [the students] come to have access to it," said Haas. "We'll have these answers to these questions later."

Haas said he believes the hearing will likely be scheduled in late February.

Cairns was hired by Akron Public Schools in August 2007, and first came to Buchtel last August.

Re: More dumb crap from a shcool board..

Duct tape and facebook is a sure recipe for disaster. I'm still not understanding what the issue is. Just another reason to keep your profesional life off of facebook.

Or your life in general since many companies look at what you do after hours as well. Facebook has probably destroyed more careers than hookers.

Schools suck man. I got kicked out of college for having not only a gun, but two big clips...

paperguntwobigclips.jpg

AT least that is the level of insanity that has gripped the liberal mind these days

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Schools suck man. I got kicked out of college for having not only a gun, but two big clips...

paperguntwobigclips.jpg

AT least that is the level of insanity that has gripped the liberal mind these days </div></div>

I think we etter lock this guy up and give him some tests. Could be dangerous.

Based on the article you posted, I do not have a problem with the board's decision. And it definitely does not make me want to renounce my citizenship. I really think you're just looking for something about which to get twisted, but I've been wrong...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Schools suck man. I got kicked out of college for having not only a gun, but two big clips...

paperguntwobigclips.jpg

AT least that is the level of insanity that has gripped the liberal mind these days </div></div>

I think we etter lock this guy up and give him some tests. Could be dangerous. </div></div>

Dangerous? Only to your humurus bone; or is it humorous or maybe, ah man, already forgetting basic A&P with all this advanced stuff

This entire last couple weeks though, bubble gun wars getting little kids booted from school, another one gets the boot for pointing a finger gun, and now this? I mean seriously, what the hell are these people thinking? Little kids also need levity to get through crap like the fear of becoming a victim of mayhem. I just happen to think they are smarter than the school boards who are totally screwing them with their anti gun crap and overall mentality on the subject.
    Someone should explain to the kids that these incidents are rare even though the media hype would make one think they are quite common. I mean as a norm, they are a norm at about 30 per year, but 30 per four years for the really big ones. These are insiginificant numbers when a total population of over 312,800,000 is considered. Want to dilute the figure for your mind to wrap easily around it? That is a ratio of 30:312,800,000. Imagine a tank with 312,800,000 Liters of Saline. 30 liters of serum is placed in it. The 30 liters is such a minute amount it cannot be tested without very expensive equipment once it mixes into the saline.
    To simplify this, we will use a small 5mL test tube with 1mL of stained serum in No1. The next 9 have 4mL of saline. 1mL is removed from No1 and placed into No2. The ratio is now 1/4. In the next tube that gets the 1mL, the ratio is 1/8. By the last tube the ratio is 10 x 4.6^-9, a totally incalculable amount that cannot withstand a serious test numerically

Good to see a school board on top of things. Dangerous items don't belong in school. I think we all know what happened in the duct tape massacre of '97. NEVER AGAIN! I think I'm going to start suing all my marine buddies that took pictures of me on deployment and put them on a social media site. They invaded my privacy and I'm entitled to compensation.

Ladies, ladies, the case is not about duct tape. This is about privacy. You cannot publicly post pictures of children (doing anything) without consent. As minors they cannot give consent.

Is this a silly reason to put a teacher on administrative leave? Yes. Should she have known better given the general undercurrent of "no tolerance" policies and our litigious society? Yes. Should she be fired for a joke picture on facebook? Probably not. Will she? Probably.

And, this is another case of what you do in your private life should stay private and separate from your public life. If you want a private life, don't post it all over the internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ladies, ladies, the case is not about duct tape. This is about privacy. You cannot publicly post pictures of children (doing anything) without consent. As minors they cannot give consent.

Is this a silly reason to put a teacher on administrative leave? Yes. Should she have known better given the general undercurrent of "no tolerance" policies and our litigious society? Yes. Should she be fired for a joke picture on facebook? Probably not. Will she? Probably.

And, this is another case of what you do in your private life should stay private and separate from your public life. If you want a private life, don't post it all over the internet. </div></div>

Point. Despite being the OP here, I have to agree with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ladies, ladies, the case is not about duct tape. This is about privacy. You cannot publicly post pictures of children (doing anything) without consent. As minors they cannot give consent.

And, this is another case of what you do in your private life should stay private and separate from your public life. If you want a private life, don't post it all over the internet. </div></div>

Right. To me it's more about the teacher's poor judgemnet / lack of discretion. More than likely someone in the administration or on the board already had her on their radar, and this was the "straw".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: from article</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    "Why was there duct tape in the classroom? How did they [the students] come to have access to it," said Haas. "We'll have these answers to these questions later."
    </div></div>

The official is concerned about the duct tape as well. I understand the the privacy issue is the main concern. The response was over the top response to cover the school's ass though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyblaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its interesting that you'd post that switchblade. Check this out.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/...ooks-like-this/ </div></div>

^ my reason exactly

I even took it to school today. The students laughed about it, and my Immunology prof couldn't stop laughing at 'the two large clips'. For a Dr of Immunology, he sure does support the 'side against' gun control very vocally. His reason? The side for offers nothing but sad propaganda that is both unsound and invalid(his words, not mine)